Everyone prefers to have a comfortable and hassle-free travel experience regardless of whether they are planning for a single trip or on multiple trips. However, unprecedented events, natural calamities, ill health or emergencies can hamper your travel experience and could result in a financial loss. Therefore, travel insurance is a prerequisite as this will give you the protection you need.
If you are travelling occasionally or making just one or two trips in a year, you can consider opting for a single trip travel insurance plan. Single trip travel insurance will cover most of the issues related to your personal injury, illness, theft of possessions, vacation/holiday cancellations, etc.
While there are plenty of insurance companies that offer a plethora of benefits in Singapore, you will need to select an insurance plan that best suits your travel requirements.
Benefits of single trip travel insurance
Single trip travel insurance offers protection in the following scenarios:
- Any overseas medical expenses
- Baggage delay/travel delay
- Personal accident cover
- Loss or damage to your personal luggage or belongings
- Third party liability
- Cost of evacuation or deportation following any insured incident
- Reimbursement of hotel and tickets if the trip is cancelled
Companies offering single trip insurance
Here are some of the insurance companies offering single trip cover plans in Singapore:
- Allied World Travel Protector
- AXA Smart Traveller
- Ergo Travel Protect
- EQ Insurance Travel
- Liberty TourCare
- MSIG TravelEasy
- QBE Travelon
- Sompo TravelJoy
- Tokio Marine Xplora
Travel insurance for natural disasters
While some insurance companies offer cover for natural disasters, other companies do not offer any cover for such instances, terming them as an “Act of God”. Therefore, you will need to first get a full understanding of the various travel insurance policies available in the market, compare them and choose a travel plan that offers better coverage.
Coverage is provided by most travel insurance companies in the following scenarios of natural disasters:
- Trip cancellation: Benefits will be paid if you are required to evacuate the building due to a natural disaster warning or if your destination is closed for visit.
- Non-medical emergency evacuation: Benefits will be considered in cases where there is a formal warning from the local authorities to leave the country due to a natural disaster.
- Travel delays: If you happen to miss your cruise or flight due to an unexpected natural disaster, you will be reimbursed for all the expenses and transportation charges.
- Accidental death during travel: If you are a victim of any unforeseen circumstances that could result in death, the benefit or compensation would be paid to your beneficiaries based on the plan limits.
- Emergency medical evacuation or deportation: If you sustain any injuries while you are overseas enjoying your vacation as a result of an earthquake, or if you suffer from any medical ailments that cannot be treated locally, the insurance company will pay for the cost to have you treated at another medical facility. In cases of death, the insurance company will bear the cost to have the body transported back to your country.
Age limit for travel trip insurance
Most insurance companies do not have any specific age limit for travel trips in Singapore. Travel trip insurance cover is provided without considering your destination, pre-existing medical conditions, and age. Please note that certain insurance companies in Singapore will reduce the coverage benefits if you are aged over 65 or 70 and do not meet the criteria for the travel insurance plan.
Regions covered under travel insurance plans
Most insurance companies that provide single-trip or multi-trip travel insurance plans have a global network. This means that you will get 24x7 access and assistance throughout the world. However, certain insurance companies will have a few regional exclusions. You will need to refer to the regional support information in your policy document for detailed information.
Additionally, each policy can be bought with customisations based on the geographical region you intend to visit. For example, the AIA Around the World Plus has plans with three distinct geographical coverage – ASEAN, which covers your travel to Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, Myanmar, Vietnam and Thailand; Asia, which covers your visit to Australia, New Zealand, India, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, China, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Mongolia, Japan, Timor-Leste plus ASEAN; while worldwide cover includes every country outside Singapore including those covered under ASEAN and Asia.
Single trip travel insurance plan validity
While some single trip insurance policies are valid for up to 6 months, other insurance companies provide cover for more than a year. The policy may also include several clauses or conditions that may be applicable. Therefore, you will need to read the terms and conditions of the insurance policy to get a detailed understanding.
Do remember that most single trip policies usually offer cover for a period of 182 consecutive days at the most. It is very crucial that you buy a travel insurance once your trip tickets are booked and confirmed. This is because the insurance companies will start providing the coverage regardless of your trip date.
Eligibility for single trip insurance
In order to be eligible for a single trip insurance, you should meet the following criteria:
- You should be a Singapore citizen, permanent resident, employment pass holder or work permit holder.
- Your trip should start at Singapore.
Single trip insurance can be purchased for you (individually), for your family or for a group of travellers with the same itinerary as yours.
Buying your travel insurance online
You will get a variety of travel insurance plans to choose from. While some provide basic coverage, others offer comprehensive coverage for an additional premium. Although you may be searching for a single trip insurance coverage, you will need to search for an insurance plan that offers enhanced protection with additional benefits.
Each travel policy will be different or tailored to meet your specific travel needs. You will need to browse and compare the various benefits, plans, premiums, and limitations of the plan before deciding on buying the right travel insurance.
Customising your travel insurance plan
In Singapore, certain insurance companies will give you the liberty to customise your travel insurance plan. You may often notice that not all travel options or benefits will seem appropriate for your overseas journey. In these cases, you can opt to customise your travel insurance plan by purchasing only what you need.
Single trip travel insurance premiums
The cost of your travel insurance will be based on the benefits, additional coverage, the number of individuals covered, and geographic coverage area, among various other factors. Each travel insurance plan will have a different price tag associated with it. It may be as low as S$7 to as high as S$800 per plan.