Bank of China (BOC) offers a variety of debit cards in Singapore, with each card designed to provide you with unique benefits and privileges. In line with the bank’s commitment to promote trade relations between China and Singapore, most of these debit cards allow you to make RMB transactions from your RMB account without any currency exchange fees. Like BOC credit cards, some of the bank’s debit cards also offer 24-hour concierge service to assist you with your day-to-day tasks.
Features and Benefits
- No annual fee: BOC doesn’t charge any annual fee on its debit cards in Singapore.
- Global ATM withdrawals: With BOC debit cards, you can withdraw cash from ATMs across the world, as long as that ATM supports your card’s payment network provider.
- Transaction fee for ATM withdrawals in China: Most debit cards from BOC allow you to withdraw cash from the bank’s ATMs in Mainland China without any transaction fee charge.
- Currency exchange fees: With BOC’s UnionPay cards, you will enjoy zero currency exchange fee for all the RMB transactions made from your RMB account.
- Cash rebate: You will enjoy cash rebate of up to 0.3% on your transactions in Singapore and abroad, provided you meet the minimum spending requirement (if applicable to the card).
List of Debit Cards Offered by BOC in Singapore
This card was launched in collaboration with Lianhe Zaobao, a China-based newspaper owned by Singapore Press Holdings (SPH). It offers special benefits on booking tickets for selected events that are organised by SPH and its other media brands. The card lets you earn unlimited cash rebate at a rate of 0.3% on all your local and international retail purchases on meeting the T&C.
There is no transaction fee on withdrawing cash from BOC ATMs in Mainland China with this card (limited period offer). Also, it allows you to make payments in SGD and RMB without charging any currency exchange fees. So, if you make RMB transactions from your RMB account, you will not have to worry about exchange rates. You will also enjoy 24-hour concierge service worldwide with this card.
This card has been specifically designed to let you enjoy special benefits at China Cultural Centre. With this card, you will enjoy complimentary access to China Cultural Centre library, exclusive discounts on entry prices for various performances and workshops, and free tickets for events that BOC organises especially for its cardholders.
The card can be used at any Mastercard merchant worldwide and to withdraw cash from ATMs that support Mastercard. Additionally, the card supports Mastercard PayPass technology that lets you make contactless payments. You will also enjoy cash rebate of 0.1% when you spend at least S$100 a month on local/international purchases.
BOC UnionPay Dual Currency Debit Card
This dual currency card lets you make payments in SGD and RMB without any risk of exchange rate fluctuations. Also, if your RMB account balance is not sufficient for making a payment, it will automatically deduct the amount from your SGD account.
With this card, you will enjoy 0.3% cash rebate on your local/international transactions, subject to minimum spending requirements. You will also get 24-hour assistance from dedicated BOC experts for your day-to-day tasks. The card comes with EMV (Europay, Mastercard, and Visa) chip to ensure protection against fraudulent transactions.
Bank of China Great Wall International Debit Card (Singapore)
Also a Platinum Mastercard, this card can be used at more than 32 million participating Mastercard merchants across the world. You can also withdraw cash from any ATM worldwide, as long as the ATM carries the “Mastercard” logo. The card gives you cash rebate of 0.1% on your local and international purchases, with a minimum monthly spend of S$100. This card is also protected with EMV chip to ensure safety against fraudulent transactions.
BOC Zaobao Debit Card
- 1-for-1 movie ticket: You can win a free movie ticket to Shaw Theatres on purchase of one ticket with this card. The offer is valid till 31 July 2018 and applies to the first 850 tickets every month.
- Ming Yi Guan in partnership with Beijing Hospital of TCM: With this offer, the first 100 customers will get additional 20% credits on purchase of S$1,000 credits or additional 30% credits on purchase of S$2,000 credits. The promotion ends on 30 April 2018 and allows customers to choose any one of the two options. The S$1,000 credits will be valid for one year, while S$2,000 credits will be valid for two years.
Annual Fees & Charges
|BOC Debit Cards||Annual fee||Withdrawal Charges|
|BOC Zaobao Debit Card||No annual fee||At BOC ATMs in Mainland China: No transaction fee UnionPay charges (wherever applicable): RMB 20 or S$4 for every transaction|
|BOC Chinese Cultural Debit Card||No annual fee||At Singapore ATMs carrying “atm” logo: No transaction fee At BOC ATMs in Mainland China: No transaction fee Mastercard charges (where applicable): 2% of the amount withdrawn, subject to a minimum charge of S$5 and maximum charge of S$60|
|BOC UnionPay Dual Currency Debit Card||No annual fee||At BOC ATMs in Mainland China: No transaction fee UnionPay charges (where applicable): RMB 20 or S$4 for every transaction|
|Bank of China Great Wall International Debit Card (Singapore)||No annual fee||At BOC ATMs in Mainland China: No transaction fee At Singapore ATMs carrying “atm” logo: No transaction fee Mastercard charges (where applicable): 2% of the amount withdrawn, subject to a minimum charge of S$5 and maximum charge of S$60|
- Multi-currency savings account: To open this account, you must be a Singaporean, Singaporean permanent resident, or a foreigner with employment pass, permit for work or student pass (passport and valid ID will also be required).
- BOC Chinese Cultural Debit Card and Bank of China Great Wall International Debit Card (Singapore): You must be at least 16 years old. You must also have a SGD savings, current, or multi-currency account with BOC.
How to Apply for a BOC Debit Card
You can apply for BOC debit cards by visiting any nearest branch of the bank.
How to Activate the BOC Debit Card
You can activate your card online through the BOC internet banking service.
Q. What is the minimum age requirement to apply for a BOC ATM card?
A. To apply for a BOC ATM card, you must be at least 18 years old.
Q. Can I set limit on the transactions on my card?
A. Yes, you can customise withdrawals as well as transfer limit in SGD or RMB.
Q. What happens to my ATM card if I change my account number?
A. You can continue using the same card with the same PIN number even after your account number has changed.
Q. Do I need to activate my BOC Chinese Cultural Debit Card to enjoy access to library services?
A. Yes, you will have to activate a barcode to get access to China Cultural Centre library. For that, you will have to visit China Cultural Centre with your card and some documents including NRIC and passport/local work permit.
Q. What is BOC debit card customer care hotline?
A. You can call the BOC’s customer care hotline at 1800-66-95566 for any assistance you may need, from anywhere.