Singapore is a popular destination for tourists from all over the world. With world-class governance, tourist attractions, modern facilities, and everything you need to have a wonderful holiday, it is one of the best vacation spots on the planet. But what if you’re travelling from Singapore to another country? Or what if you’re travelling within the country? Carrying a credit card with you can help you find travel deals and promotions that will reduce your travel expenses. These cards come with a range of offers especially related to travel and accommodation both on the island as well as when you travel overseas. Flights tickets, hotel rooms, dining options, transport arrangements, and other elements related to travelling can turn out to be quite expensive abroad. So, the next time you’re planning a trip whether for business or pleasure, using one of these cards can help reduce your expenses. We’ve put together a list of cards that offer promotions and deals on travel. Read on to find out more.
The HSBC Premier Mastercard is designed to give you discounts on flight ticket fares, complimentary accommodation at certain hotels globally, special access to airport lounges, and other privileges when you travel overseas. You can also make use of the global dining offers to get free dishes, discounts on your food bills, and more in various restaurants around the world. Want a bit of peace of mind when you travel? Get it through travel insurance that features coverage extending to S$1 million. If you love golf, you can make use of the golfing privileges offered by this card.
- A discount of 20% when you book Economy Class and Premium Economy Class tickets on Cathay Pacific.
- Discounts of 15% and 7% on hotel room prices when you book through Expedia and Agoda respectively. You also get complimentary night stays at the AccorHotels & Banyan Tree properties in the Asia Pacific region.
- You get access to more than 1,000 lounges at airports all over the world, courtesy of LoungeKey. Rest, grab something to eat, and refresh yourself while you’re at the airport.
- Unlimited Wi-Fi at more than a million hotspots globally, brought to you by Boingo.
- Global dining benefits and 1-for-1 deals on dining options in Singapore and abroad.
This card is one that is reserved for the elite few of society and it comes with a host of travel benefits that help make your time in the country and abroad comfortable and convenient. For those who are used to the finer things in life, it offers premium services courtesy of its CIMB Airport Companion Programme. This CIMB Visa Infinite Credit Card gives you access to more than 1,000 airport lounges all over the world. So, the next you’re waiting to catch a flight, you can get something to eat and unwind for a bit for free, 3 times a year. If you want to dine at restaurants within the airport, you get up to 50% discount at various airports globally. Making travel arrangements via airport limousines? As a holder of this card, you get a discount of 10% on such services which are available in around 300 cities. If you ever run into problems or need assistance of any kind while you’re travelling, you can call the Visa Infinite Concierge Service.
- Cash rebate of 2% when you spend overseas, both at outlets and online.
- Access to more than 1,000 global airport lounges.
- Up to 50% discount on dining stores in airports worldwide.
- Concierge services to make your travels a lot more comfortable and hassle-free.
- Complimentary travel insurance with coverage up to S$1 million.
The Maybank World Mastercard is a credit card that is specially curated to help you with leisure activities during your travels. As part of the normal rewards scheme, it gives you 10x TREATS Points for each S$1 you spend on dining, petrol purchases, and retail boutiques in the country. Apart from this, you get a variety of travel benefits. If you feel like playing some golf while you’re abroad, you can make use of the offers available on this card to get complimentary green fees at more than 85 popular fairways around the world, along with exclusive offers on golfing from Els Club Malaysia. If you arrive early for your flight or are waiting during transit, check into the Plaza Premium Lounge using the complimentary access given to you by the card, and make use of the facilities provided to refresh yourself before boarding your flight. Hate making travel arrangements on your own? Use the exclusive Global Concierge services to arrange for your travel and stay, sourcing luxury products, lifestyle assistance, dining reservations, and more.
- You get 10x TREATS Points on each S$1 you spend in Singapore.
- Travel insurance with coverage of up to S$1 million.
- International golfing privileges at some of the best and most popular fairways in the world.
- Access to Plaza Premium Lounges at the airport.
- Global Concierge to help you with travel plans, sourcing unique products, and making dining reservations.
Reserved for the special few, this card opens up a world of luxury and benefits for those who are normally used to a higher standard of living, also offering them a higher rate of rewards on their spends. You get up to 5x TREATS Points on all your transactions and these rewards don’t have an expiry date either. When you travel, check into the JetQuay private terminal for free, and enjoy the privileges there. Make use of your free Priority Pass membership to check into more than 900 VIP lounges at airports around the world. Get airport transfers both ways in a chauffeur-driven limousine. This card gives you access to more than 900 of the most prestigious hotels and properties worldwide. Get the best rates on rooms, be upgraded to VIP Guest, complimentary breakfast and internet access, automatic room upgrades whenever available, and a whole lot more. The free travel insurance gives you peace of mind when you’re abroad.
- Get 5x TREATS Points for each S$1 you spend in foreign currency and 3 TREATS Points for every S$1 you spend on local purchases.
- Enjoy free usage of the 5-star private JetQuay terminal at the Changi Airport in Singapore.
- Get free limousine transfers to and from the airport.
- Enjoy exclusive rates and room upgrades at the most luxurious hotels across the world.
- Get complimentary travel insurance with coverage of up to S$1 million.
The Citi Prestige Card is specially designed to give you access to a whole world of travel privileges and offers. It rewards you with 5 Citi Dollars for each S$1 spent while you’re abroad and each S$1 you spend on local transactions will earn you 3.25 Citi Dollars. It also gives you free access to airport lounges globally. Get unlimited access to such lounges without paying membership fees courtesy of Priority Pass. Plan longer holidays by making use of free night stays at resorts and hotels around the world. The card also gives you free airport limousine transfers to and from the Changi Airport. You also get to enjoy playing golf at many of the top golfing greens in the country, along with a host of dining options. Get assistance during your travels by calling the concierge services available on this card 24/7.
- 5 Citi Dollars and 3.25 Citi Dollars respectively for each S$1 you spend in foreign currency and local transactions.
- Golfing privileges at popular golfing options in Singapore.
- Emergency card replacement and emergency cash within 48 hours (usually) if you lose your card while you’re travelling.
- Unlimited access to airport lounges using the free Priority Pass that comes along with this card.
- Free one night extended stay when you book hotel rooms of your choice for at least 4 consecutive nights.
The Standard Chartered Priority Banking Visa Infinite Credit Card is specially curated to give you privileges that are in line with your high standard of living. Apart from the usual rewards on spends which include one air mile for each S$1 you spend on this card, you also get a host of travel benefits. For example, charge your travel ticket expenses to this card and get free travel insurance with coverage of S$50,000 for you and your spouse (each). Want to plan your travel and stay arrangements? Make use of the Visa Infinite Concierge Service to get information and assistance in this regard. The card also gives you offers and promotions on some of the leading hotels and resorts in Asia.
- One air mile for every S$1 you spend on this card.
- Free travel insurance with coverage of S$50,000 each for your spouse and yourself.
- Visa Infinite Concierge Services to help you with any queries you have, 24 hours a day, all days of the week.
- Complimentary visits to airport lounges courtesy of Priority Pass.
- Discounts, best room rates, and a host of hotel amenities and facilities at hotels and properties across Asia.
The Standard Chartered Visa Infinite Credit Card has everything you need to make your next holiday a comfortable and eventful one. Apart from the standard rewards of up to 3 miles for each S$1 you spend on it, the card helps reduce your travelling expenses whether you choose to travel within Singapore or overseas. The complimentary travel insurance gives you peace of mind with its coverage of up to S$1 million. Meet certain spend criteria and get a free yacht ride. Get access to Priority Pass lounges all over the world. If you’re travelling within Asia, you can stay at some of the best hotels and resorts in the continent. You get access to the best available rates, spa and dining facilities, and golfing privileges at these properties. You also get insurance travel coverage for delayed baggage, loss of baggage, and travel assistance services. You can also enjoy a host of privileges on self-drive cars, courtesy of Hertz in USA, Europe, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and Asia.
- Get up to 3 miles for each S$1 you spend on the card.
- Complimentary travel insurance with coverage of up to S$1 million with cover for baggage loss, baggage delay, and more.
- Visa Infinite Concierge Services to help plan your travel and assist you during your journey.
- Discounts and upgrades on self-drive options courtesy of Hertz in various countries including USA, Canada, Australia, etc.
- Best rooms rates and facilities at hotels across Asia.
Make your next journey a rewarding and comfortable one with the BOC Travel Card. Whether you’re planning a business trip or your next vacation, taking this card along with you on your travels can help you reduce the hassles of a trip overseas. Every time you use this card to spend on transactions abroad, you are eligible to get 2x Bonus Points on your spends. Along with this, it also gives you special travel privileges across various categories which include hotel offers, dining, shopping, and entertainment, among others. Get exclusive offers that are available only for users of this card. if you need any sort of assistance during your trip, you can call the Worldwide Concierge Assistance facility that’s available 24/7. This service helps plan your trip details and make arrangements such as booking tickets, planning accommodation details, making lunch reservations, and emergency help.
- Get 2x Bonus Points when you use the card to pay for overseas purchases.
- Get 30% discount on the remittance fees when you send money to Mainland China.
- Enjoy exclusive travel benefits on shopping, entertainment, dining, and others at more than 17,000 merchants when you travel to Mainland China, Macau, and Hong Kong.
- Get 24/7 concierge assistance when you’re travelling.
- Enjoy UnionPay’s extensive payment coverage network with more than 24 million payment terminals and 210,000 ATMs located all over China.
The BOC World MasterCard is designed to give you a variety of privileges and benefits on travel, shopping, dining, and lifestyle, both in Singapore as well as when you travel abroad to various countries. This card gives you 3x Rewards Points on every S$1 you spend while you are abroad. Enjoy specially curated experiences made with your comfort in mind, crafted to suit your every need when you’re travelling. Get discounts of up to 20% when you dine at different restaurants on the island, featuring local cuisines, western dining, buffets, and fine dining. Find wellness options and deals on lifestyle options in many countries around the world. The concierge services which are available all 24 hours of the day are there to help you with any queries or help you may need during your trip. Making travel plans and arrangements, sourcing gifts, booking entertainment tickets, and more are just a phone call away. You can also get free upgrades on rooms at specified hotels, and a host of other amenities and services courtesy of this card.
- 3x Rewards Points on all transactions made during your travels abroad.
- Upgrades on hotels rooms, subject to availability.
- Dining privileges at hotels and restaurants in Singapore featuring various cuisines.
- Offers on wellness options such as spa services and more.
- Concierge services to help make your travel a lot more comfortable and hassle free.
If you’re someone who travels a lot or loves to go abroad frequently on vacations, you should definitely take a look at what this card offers. It is specially designed to give the regular traveller a plethora of benefits in order to make his travel a more pleasing and trouble-free experience. When you use it to pay for purchases overseas, you get a waiver on the currency exchange charges (of 1.5%) that usually apply to such transactions, making your purchases a tad bit cheaper. Irrespective of how much you spend, you also get a cash rebate of 1% when you charge your local purchases to the BOC Visa Infinite Card. before you board your flight, relax and refresh yourself at the airport courtesy of 2 free lounges access passes to Plaza Premium Lounges around the world. You may also get that bit of peace of mind you need when you travel abroad since you will also be eligible for complimentary travel insurance with coverage of up to S$1 million. Also, all your purchases paid for through this card are protected through the complimentary purchase protection scheme from the bank.
- Currency exchange fee of 1.5% is waived off on all transactions you make abroad.
- Complimentary entry into Plaza Premium Lounges around the world (2 per year).
- Lifestyle Concierge to help you plan your travel, book tickets, make reservations, and more.
- Free travel insurance with coverage of up to S$1 million.
- Free purchase protection and priority privileges for online doctor’s appointment bookings.
Benefits of Travel Credit Cards
If you are someone who travels often either for pleasure to escape the mundane routine of daily life or on business trips which are a part of your job profile, then owning a travel card can become very beneficial to you. This is mainly because there are several benefits and privileges that come with owning a travel credit card. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Get rewarded for travelling and spending. Many travel credit cards offer air miles on your spends that you can accumulate over time and redeem to get discounts on future flight tickets.
- Some of these cards may help you accumulate miles at a much faster rate than other regular cards.
- You can enjoy other trip benefits such as fast-tracked immigration at certain airports, airport transfers, and lounge access to select airport lounges across the globe.
- Complimentary travel insurance to help you get the extra peace of mind you need when you travel overseas.
- Great deals and offers on hotel and restaurant dining options around the world.
- Complimentary access and waivers or discounts on green fees at some of the leading and most popular golf courses around the world.
- Enjoy a variety of discounts and the best rates when you book hotel rooms worldwide.
Why Should You Use a Travel Credit Card?
Other than the benefits mentioned above, are there any other reasons why you should consider getting a travel credit card? Taking a trip is something that can end up costing you quite a bit of money. And it wouldn’t be wise to carry around a ton of cash with you for two simple reasons - one, because it can become very difficult to take that much cash with you everywhere you go, and two, because it might get stolen or lost. In such situations, carrying a card with you is a much better option. And if you’re getting a card, why not get one that will give you exclusive benefits on your travels and help you reduce your expenses at the same time? If your card gets stolen or lost, simply report it to your bank as soon as possible to block any transactions that may be tried on it. What’s more, some banks issue you a new card within a day or two, or some emergency cash to tide you over till you get your replacement card. Depending on which card you get, you will be able to have access to hundreds of thousands of payment terminals all over the world.
Travelling can get tiring at times. Airports can be annoying, given the noise and the chaos you may have to endure at some of them. Airport lounges offer you the chance to get away from all this commotion, and you can get access to some of them courtesy of the free access that many of these cards offer. They say that a journey is made better when you have a friend travelling along with you. Check out a travel card today. Given all its features, benefits, and privileges, it just might end up becoming your constant travel partner.
5 Tips for Choosing the Best Travel Card
There are a lot of credit cards available in Singapore that are suited for travellers. But which one do you choose? We hope the following tips will aid you in making a decision.
Look at the joining perks: Most cards offer you one or more perks when you sign up for them. These may vary from one card to another. A welcome gift that may be beneficial to one person may not be as useful to another. Choose a card that gives you a welcome bonus which will be useful to you.
Consider the features and benefits: Choose your card based on the kinds of benefits it offers. Various cards offer benefits on different categories of spends. Make sure that these privileges actually benefit you. Don’t apply for a card simply because it offers a number of benefits.
Match the benefits with your spending patterns: Just because a particular credit card offers you a few benefits it doesn’t mean that you have to jump at it and apply for it. Look for benefits that match your spending patterns. For example, if you tend to spend more on dining, choose a card that gives you rewards on offers on dining options both locally and abroad. If you like to shop, get a card that gives you deals and offers on shopping.
Check if you can afford the card: Some cards cost a lot to own. They charge a high annual fee which may not benefit you in the long run. Look at the benefits and see if they outweigh the costs of owning the card for a year. If the costs outweigh the benefits, then you’re essentially paying out of your own pocket to keep the card with you.
Check out co-branded cards: Sometimes banks team up with certain brands or merchants to give you exclusive cards. These may offer you better rewards and privileges. Look for such cards and see if they are more beneficial to you.