Singapore is a well known travel destination and a tourist attraction. Not only does Singapore attract tourists but is also a hub for air travel given its regional connectivity and a state of the art airport. Those who travel from Singapore be it for business or pleasure can certainly benefit from owning a travel credit card. Travel credit cards offer the cardholder travel benefits which include earning miles, complimentary insurance, and lounge privileges among others.
Features of Travel credit cards
Travel credit cards allow cardholders to earn miles on expenses charged to the card. Depending on the nature of expense, the rates at which these miles are earned vary. Travel credit cards also allow cardholders to be part of frequent flyer programs with select airlines. Following are the features of a travel credit card:
- Cardholders get air miles for every expense they charge to the card. Based on the credit card issuer, these rates vary.
- Certain travel credit cards earn more miles when used overseas than when used locally.
- Travel credit cards can also be issued in conjunction with certain airlines and earn extra miles when used for purchasing airfare from these airlines or used to purchase items from their in-flight or online stores.
- Travel credit cards also try and entice new customers by offering large blocks of miles as joining bonuses. These bonus miles increase if the cardholder meets certain spend criteria. Travel credit cards also offer annual fee waivers for the first year and in some cases up to 2 years.
- Some travel credit cards earn reward points that can be converted into air miles.
Benefits of travel credit cards
If you are someone who travels frequently either for pleasure or to escape the mundane routine of daily life or as part of your job profile, then owning a travel card is a must. There are several benefits to owning a travel credit card such as:
- Earning miles to redeem cheaper flight tickets and discounted travel packages.
- Miles are earned at a fairly high rate making accrual easier.
- Enjoy other benefits such as fast track immigration at select airports and lounge access to select airport lounges across the globe.
- Annual fee waivers and bonus miles upon joining.
- Complimentary airport transfers.
- Complimentary green fees at leading golf courses around the world.
- Discounts on best room rates at leading luxury hotels.
Travel credit card reward schemes are in the form of:
- Airport lounge access passes every year which provides them access to select chain of airport lounges.
- One-way limousine transfers to airport.
- Early bird access to promotional airfares.
- Complimentary travel insurance when airfare is purchased solely using the card.
- Higher rate of miles earned on overseas expenses.
To be eligible for a travel credit card, the primary cardholder must have attained the minimum age of 21 years and must not exceed the maximum age of 65 years, maintain a good credit score, and earn an annual income ranging from S$30,000 to S$80,000 (for Singapore nationals or permanent residents). Foreign nationals should generally have an annual income of S$60,000 and above to apply for travel credit cards from any bank in Singapore.
How to apply for travel credit cards
Applying for a travel credit card is a fairly straightforward and hassle free process once you have figured out what exact benefits you are looking for and which card benefits are most attractive to you. Thorough comparison between cards is a must and potential cardholders must not only weigh the benefits of each card but also how the card might affect their spending pattern and how affordable a card is. Once the card has been identified, you can log onto the website of the bank offering the card, fill out the online application form and submit it along with the necessary supporting documents such as age and income proof or apply for the card by visiting the nearest branch of the bank offering the card. If you happen to select a card issued by a bank where you already have an account, the process of application can be done through internet banking.
Travel credit cards available in Singapore
Below is a list of travel credit cards offered by several reputable card providers in Singapore for your fine dining experience and expenditure:
American Express credit cards
- American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Solitaire PPS Credit Card: The card comes with an annual fee waiver for the first year. The card earns 1.3 miles on every S$1 charged to the card and when the monthly spend exceeds S$3,800 a month, the card earns 1.5 miles on local spend and 2.4 miles on overseas spend for every S$1 charged to the card.
- American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card: The card earns 1.2 Miles on every S$1 spent locally and 2 miles for every S$1 spent in foreign currency in the months of June and December.
Citibank credit cards
- Citi PremierMiles Visa Card: Cardholders can avail joining bonus of 15,000 miles for availing the card and spending any amount plus an additional 15,000 miles when they charge S$10,000 to the card in the first three months and the card earns 1.2 miles for every S$1 charged bringing the total to 42,000 miles. The card also earns up to 10 Citi miles for every S$1 spent on online travel bookings.
DBS Bank credit cards
- DBS Altitude Visa Signature Card: The card earns 1.2 miles on every S$1 charged locally and 3 miles for every S$1 spent on online travel bookings. The card also provides 10,000 bonus miles when cardholders renew their card membership.
HSBC Bank credit cards
- HSBC Visa Infinite Credit Card: the card has a joining bonus of 35,000 air miles and offers complimentary travel insurance with a cover of S$2 Million. The card earns 1 mile for every S$1 charged locally and 2 miles for every S$1 spent overseas.
Maybank credit cards
- Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa Card: The card earns 2 miles for every S$1 charged on travel bookings or spent overseas. The card also provides complimentary access to select VIP airport lounges provided the cardholder meets the spend criteria of S$400 in a single transaction on air tickets.
OCBC Bank credit cards
- OCBC Voyage Credit Card: The card earns 1 air mile for every S$1 spent locally and 2.3 miles for every S$1 spent on dining charges or on overseas expenses.
Standard Chartered Bank credit cards
- Standard Chartered Visa Infinite Credit Card: the card offers a welcome gift of either 35,000 miles or 25,000 miles and S$100 worth of Uber credits. The card earns 2.5 Miles for every S$1 charged to the card when the monthly spend is below S$2,000. For expenses exceeding S$2,000, the card earns 3 miles for every S$1 charged to the card.
UOB Bank credit cards
- UOB PRVI Miles American Express Credit Card: The card earns 1.4 miles on every S$1 spent locally, 2.4 miles for every S$1 spent overseas and 6 miles for every S$1 spent on hotels or air tickets from major airlines.
Exclusive or invitation only travel credit cards
While most people use their credit cards as a tool to meet daily expenses, there are a select few invitation only credit cards who choose to use their cards as a status symbol and set themselves apart from the rest. For those high net worth individuals, there are a few exclusive credit cards that are available by invitation only:
- HSBC Visa Infinite Credit Card
- Standard Chartered Visa Infinite Credit Card
Whether it is an annual vacation or whether you’re flying out to attend a workshop, meeting or seminar, paying with your travel credit card can earn you some serious miles. These miles can be traded in for business class ticket upgrades and if you have enough miles, even free tickets. There are people who’ve built a career out of chasing air miles.
News About Travel Credit Cards
OCBC Travel Promotions
Runtime: Ongoing Promotion
If you are an individual who travels frequently, you will benefit from the myriad of travel promotions offered with OCBC credit cards. Currently, you can avail the following travel promotions at the following OCBC partner merchants:
• Agoda – discount of up to 8 percent
• Anantara, AVANI and PER AQUUM – exclusive deals and privileges
• Asiatravel – complimentary stay
• Explorer Travel Insurance – discount of up to 30 percent
• Roomorama - discount of 10 percent
• Sino-America Tours Corporation Pte Ltd – 0 percent instalment plan etc.
Please contact the bank for the applicable terms and conditions.