Citi Clear Card For Students
Citi offers a credit card specifically targeting tertiary students. This card is called Citi Clear Card and it offers a range of dining privileges to the cardholders. You can also enjoy dining benefits at Starbucks and Subway using this card. Additionally, there is no minimum income requirement associated with this card.
- Earn cash rebate in the form of Citi Rebate.
- Also earn Citi Dollars as part of the Rewards Program. Citi Dollars are valid for 1 year.
- Save on dining and fuel expenses.
- Enjoy a one-year waiver on the annual fee.
Best suited to : Students pursuing tertiary education.
||S$29.96 (waived for the first year)
|Cash rebate on dining
- 10% Citi Rebate at Starbucks
- 5% Citi Rebate at Subway
|Cash rebate on all other retail spends
||Up to 10% Citi Rebate at over 300 locations on eligible spends
|Rewards points on all eligible spends
||1 Citi Dollar for every S$1 spent
|Complimentary travel insurance
The Citi Clear Card provides an array of other benefits as listed below:
- You can receive up to 10% Citi Rebate at more than 300 participating outlets across Singapore which includes Sheng Siong.
- With this card, you can also save up to 14% on your fuel spends at Esso and Shell.
- This card also provides you with the best dining offers at establishments listed under Citibank Gourmet Pleasures. There are several dining promotions listed under this privilege at more than 1,000 restaurants in Singapore.
- You have the option to convert your Citi Dollar into miles with any of the frequent flyer partners. These include Asia Miles, Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, and Royal Orchid Plus. Based on the conversion factor, each Citi Dollar will give you 0.4 miles.
- You can also enjoy privileges for shopping with Citi Globeshopper.
- Besides, you can manage your account and easily and enjoy convenient banking from anywhere with Citi Mobile.
- This card also offers several other promotions to its customer under Citi World Privileges. These promotions stretch across categories such as shopping, travel, dining, lifestyle, and online transactions.
You can earn both Citi Rebate and Citi Dollars using your Citi Clear Card. The card rewards you with 1 Citi Dollar for every S$1 spent on eligible transactions. This card also provides you with up to 10% Citi Rebate at more than 300 participating outlets across Singapore. The outlets include Subway, Starbucks, and Sheng Siong. You might have to spend a minimum amount to qualify for Citi Rebate, depending on the outlet, take for instance the following examples:
- Earn 10% Citi Rebate with a minimum spend of S$10 at participating Starbucks outlets.
- Earn 5% Citi Rebate if you spend a minimum sum of S$10 across participating Subway outlets.
Let Us Illustrate:
Let us assume that you spend a total of S$250 in a month, where S$100 is spent at Starbucks, S$100 is spent at Subway, and S$50 is spent at retail merchants outside of the Citi Rebate participating outlets. In this case, you will earn both Citi Rebate and Citi Dollars simultaneously on your spends in the following ways:
|Dining at Starbucks
||10 Citi Rebate
||100 Citi Dollars
|Dining at Subways
||5 Citi Rebate
||100 Citi Dollars
|Other retail spends outside of Citi Rebate participating outlets
||50 Citi Dollars
Cashback earned is 15 Citi Rebate (equivalent to S$15)
||250 Citi Dollars
Redeeming your Earned Cash Rebate
You earn 1 Citi Dollar for every S$1 spent. Citi Dollars are valid for 1 year and you can redeem them in the following ways:
- Instant redemption at participating outlets.
- Instant redemption for shopping vouchers.
- Redeem for cash rebate by sending an SMS to the bank.
- Redeem for merchandise on the Citi ThankYouSM Rewards catalogue.
Citi Rebate can be redeemed at any of the participating Citi Rebate merchants for up to the full transaction amount. Each Citi Rebate is equivalent to S$1. The redemption can be done directly at the participating outlet or you can call the Citiphone hotline to find out more.
The following table illustrates the various rates of interest relevant to the card:
|Type of Interest
|Instalment Payment Plan
Other Fees and Charges
The various fees and charges associated with this card include:
|Type of charge
|Overseas Transaction Fee
- An administrative fee of 2.8% for foreign currency transactions
- An administrative fee of 1% under dynamic currency conversion scheme
|Late Payment Fee
|Over limit Fee
|Cash Advance Fee
||6% of the withdrawn amount, subject to a minimum sum of S$15
|Supplementary Card Fee
Know your eligibility before you decide to go ahead and apply for this card.
Activating the Card for Overseas Expenses
Your Citi Clear Card will have to be activated before you use it overseas. You can activate and deactivate your credit card in one of the following ways:
- You have to SMS “ACT(space)OS(space)(Last four digits of your card number)” to the dedicated number to activate your credit card for overseas use. This will activate your card perpetually.
- In case you prefer time bound overseas use, you can SMS “ACT(SPACE)OS(SPACE)(Last four digits of your card number)(SPACE)(number of days)” to the same number.
- There’s a separate number available, in case you’re overseas and you have to activate your card immediately.
- The SMS must be sent from the mobile phone number that’s registered with the bank.
- To deactivate your credit card through SMS, you have to perform steps similar to activation. You must SMS “DEACT(space)OS(space)(Last four digits of your card number)” to the same number dedicated as in case of activation.
- The process is swift. Once it’s done, you will receive a confirmation SMS.
Using Citibank Online
- You can activate as well as deactivate your card for overseas use in a similar manner and the process is fast. Your credit card gets activated/deactivated immediately.
- You can do so by using your Internet Banking PIN and visiting the bank’s site.
- You have to log in to your Citibank Online Account by using your User ID and Password.
- Next, you must select “My Profile” under “Services” section.
- Here, you have to click on the “Overseas Card Activation” link and follow the steps listed. You can deactivate your card in a similar manner.
- Once you have completed the process, you will receive a confirmation SMS.
Through Citi Mobile
- You have to download the Citi SG mobile app from either Google Play or App Store.
- Next, you must open the Citi Mobile App and login to your account.
- Go to the menu, select “Manage your cards” option, and finally click on “Activate/Deactivate Cards”.
- Next, you must enter the OTP or Citi Mobile Token PIN to continue.
- In the following steps, choose “Overseas Use” tab and select the card you want to activate or deactivate. You can choose between the options “Activate Perpetually” or “Deactivate perpetually”.
- You can conclude the process by clicking on “Confirm”.
- The activation/deactivation process is immediate wherein you will receive confirmation through an SMS as soon as the process is complete.
- Besides, the Citi Mobile App also helps to extend the benefits and security features of your cards.
Using Self Service Phone Banking
- You can easily activate your credit card for overseas use by using the Self Service Phone Banking facility. Remember to have your credit card details with you during the activation process.
- To begin with, you must call on the Card Activation Hotline and enter your NRIC or card number.
- Next, follow the voice instructions on call and enter the details requested.
- Conclude the process by keying in your Telephone Pin. Alternately, you can request for an OTP through SMS.
- The activation is swift in this case too.
Instalment Payment Plans Available
Citibank Equal Payment Plan
- You can enjoy 0% rate of interest and no additional charges if you use this instalment payment plan for your purchases.
- The instalment payment plan is easy to use and you can stretch your instalments over a period of 2 years.
- This plan is applicable at over 1,000 participating outlets.
- You can ask for this plan directly at the participating merchant counter and charge the purchases to your card.
- The transaction details under this plan will be reflected in your credit card statement.
You must immediately call the bank’s Customer Care helpline in case your card is lost, stolen, or you notice an unauthorised charge on your credit card. You will have to also submit a statutory declaration in a form specified by the bank or a police report, if necessary.
The bank will limit your liability to S$100 in case of an unauthorised use. You will, however, have to ensure that you were not negligent in any manner regarding the safety of your card. You have to prove that the loss, theft, or unauthorised use was not a result of any fraudulent activity committed by you. You must help the bank with the recovery and investigations regarding the incident. In case you find the card later, you must not continue using it, you must cut it into two halves and return it to the bank.
Whatever you need to know about your particular card can be found on our website. You’ll find all the terms, earning rates, redemption processes, and other information about credit cards explained in detail here.
What Else Do I Need to Know?
How to Enable/Disable Auto Debit & Standing Instructions - Through Direct Debit Authorisation Form
To enable/disable auto debit, you will have to fill the Direct Debit Authorisation form. To create standing instructions for enabling/disabling auto debit, you will have to take the following steps:
- Log in to CitiDirect and go to CitiDirect Services.
- Select ‘Input New Standing Instruction’ under ‘My Transactions and Services’.
- Type in your account number, currency and payment amount and continue to the next step.
- Name the standing instruction and type in the period for which the instruction will be active.
- Provide the payment details like the amount type, payment flow, payment start time, recurrence pattern and how the payment must be handled on holidays.
- Once you have taken all the necessary steps, confirm all the details once again and then continue to ‘Create Standing Instruction Schedule’.
- The payable amount will be deducted from your account 3 business days before the payment due date.
Contact the bank if you wish to disable this service.
How to Apply for the Card & Check the Application Status - On the Bank’s Website
To apply for the Citi Clear Card, you will have to visit the individual credit card page online and complete the application form. Once you have filled all the details, take a printout of the form and put your signature in the document. Email your signed and completed form together with all your supporting documents.
Upon applying for the card, use the bank’s self-service phone banking facility to check your application status.
How to Check Balance - Via SMS/ATM/Phone Banking/Citi Mobile App and Others
If you want to check your Citi credit card balance, you just have to send an SMS along with the last four digits of your card number to the bank and obtain an instant message from the bank with all the details.
Other ways to check your balance include the following:
- Phone Banking
- Citibank Online
- Citi Mobile App
- Visiting a bank branch
How Can the Bill Be Paid? - Via GIRO/Cheque/SAM/AXS/SMS/Phone and Others
You can pay your Citi credit card bills in the following ways:
Citi SMS Pay
- AXS Stations
- SAM Machines
Citi Mobile App
- Self-service Phone Banking
FAST (Fast and Secure Transfers)
How Much Is the Minimum Payment to Be Made on the Card? - 1% of Current Balance + 1% of Past Dues or S$50
The minimum payment amount to be made on the card will be mentioned in the monthly statement. This amount is calculated by taking into consideration 1% of the current balance in addition to 1% of unsettled instalment sum, interest charges, late payment charge, or S$25 whichever is greater, and any overdue amounts. In case the current balance is less than S$25, the minimum payment amount shall be the same as current balance.
What Is the Grace Period? - 25 Days
The grace period or the interest-free period with Citi Clear Card is 25 days from the date of the statement of account.
Which Mobile Wallets Can This Card Be Used With? - Samsung Pay/Apple Pay/Citi Pay
Samsung Pay, Apple Pay and Citi Pay can be used with this card.
Can It Be Used With EZ-Link? - Can be Used With EZ-Pay
Although the EZ-Link facility is not available with this credit card, if you have a car, you can make use of the EZ-Pay facility available.
Register online with EZ-Pay. Once you have registered, you will get an email confirmation in two business days with the actual start date on your credit card.
How to Block or Unblock the Card? - Through the Citi Mobile App
Block your Citi card through the Citi Mobile App. Take the following steps to block your card:
Download the mobile app and log in through your online username and password.
Go to ‘Menu’ and then to ‘Manage Your Cards’ followed by ‘Block Cards’ and follow the steps to block the card.
Once your card is blocked a replacement card with a PIN will be sent to your address.
How to Reset the PIN? - Through CitiPhone Self-Service/Visit a Branch
Reset your PIN by calling the 24/7 CitiPhone self-service number. Select '0' to speak to a CitiPhone officer to request for a new credit card PIN. It will take up to five business days for the new PIN to be generated. If you want to get the PIN immediately, visit any bank branch.
What Is the Billing Cycle and the Bill Due Date? - Duration Between Two Continuous Billing Cycles
The billing cycle is usually 30 days, but the billing due date and billing cycle will be mentioned in the monthly statement. The billing cycle for your Citi card will be the time between two continuous billing statements. This may vary depending on the number of business days in the given month.
How to Get a Replacement Card? - Through Citi Mobile App
The easiest and fastest way to get a replacement card is through the Citi Mobile App. Take the following steps:
Download the mobile app and log in using your online credentials.
Block the card first by clicking on ‘Manage Your Cards’.
Once your card is blocked, a replacement card will be sent to your address.
A replacement fee of S$10 shall be charged to your account each time you request for a replacement.