Whether you go to SPC, Shell, Caltex or Esso, the pump price of petrol in Singapore will not drop below S$2. Imagine fueling up your vehicle every other day at these prices, while there are motorists before you who are paying less. What is that? You heard them say “site discount”? There are several credit card offered by banks in Singapore that offer perks on petrol purchases to cardholders which make your fuel spends much more affordable. With a petrol credit card, you will enjoy instant site discounts at petrol stations, credit card discounts and earn points for your purchase, all at once and all on the same card.
|Card Name||Recommended for|
|UOB One Card||Daily expenses|
|OCBC 365 Credit Card||Daily expenses|
|HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card||Daily expenses|
|Maybank Family & Friends Card||Daily expenses|
|Citi Cash Back Card||Daily expenses|
|POSB Everyday Card||Daily expenses|
|DBS ESSO Card||Fuel|
|HSBC’s Revolution Credit Card||Online shopping, entertainment, and dining|
|Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card||Daily expenses|
|Maybank World Mastercard||Shopping, fuel, and dining|
Save up to 21.6% on fuel at Esso stations, while also earning Esso Smiles Points. The 21.6% discount includes 17% instant discount and S$30 cashback as part of an ongoing promotional offer. To earn S$30 cashback, you must spend at least S$180 (net) at Esso every month for the three-month promotional period that ends in June 2018. The promotion may be extended at the bank’s discretion. You will also save an additional 2.4% on your fuel in the form of Esso Smiles Points. You get 1 Smiles Point for every litre of Synergy fuel you buy. 300 Smiles Points can be used for S$10 instant redemption.Card Highlights:
- Earn 1 Smiles Point for every S$10 charged outside Esso.
- Convert your road tax and motor insurance payment into interest-free 12 monthly instalments.
- Make quick payment for your fuel purchase at Esso with Pay-at-the-Pump system.
Save up to 20.8% on fuel at Shell and up to 24% at SPC stations. The 20.8% discount at Shell is based on a site discount of 5%, Shell Escape discount of 5%, 7% SMART$ rebate, and an additional rebate of 5% if you spend at least S$2,000 in a month with your UOB One Card.Similarly, the 24% rebate at SPC stations is based on a 10% discount on SPC&U Card, 5% UOB card discount, additional 5% discount with UOB card offer based on net spend of at least S$51, and an extra 5% rebate if you spend at least S$2,000 in a month with your UOB One Card.Card Highlights:
- Up to 5% cash rebate on all retail spends.
- Earn up to 3.33% interest on your UOB One Account when you spend at least S$500 with your UOB One Card and credit salary of at least S$2,000 every month in your UOB One Account.
- Earn an extra 10% SMART$ rebate at more than 400 participating merchants.
Save up to 23% on fuel at Caltex and up to 18.3% at Esso. The 23% savings at Caltex is based on a site discount of 16% (when you buy Platinum 98 with Techron), 4.2% cashback (when you charge at least S$600 in the month to your card), and 2.8% rebate (when you spend at least S$300 (net) at Caltex in a month. On all other fuel grades, you can save up to 21.1%. The 18.3% savings at Esso is based on a site discount of 5%, Esso Smiles Card discount of 5%, OCBC card discount of 4%, and an additional 4.3% cash rebate when you spend at least S$600 on your OCBC 365 Card in a month.Card Highlights:
- Spend at least S$600 in a month on this card and earn up to 6% cashback on dining, 3% on online shopping, 3% on groceries, and 3% on recurring telco bills.
- Earn 0.3% cashback on all other retail spending.
- Complimentary travel insurance coverage of up to S$200,000.
Save up to 21.04% on fuel at Caltex. This includes an upfront discount of 16% (when you buy Platinum 98) or 14% (when you buy Premium 95, Regular 92, or diesel), Standard Chartered rebate of 4.50% (on the net transaction amount), and 1.50% cashback when you pay with this card. You must spend at least S$600 in a month to be eligible for the discounts.Card Highlights:
- Flat 1.5% cashback on all spend – no minimum spending requirement and no cap.
- The card doubles up as an EZ-Link card.
- Exclusive dining privileges at select restaurants.
Shell: Save up to 20.88% on fuel. This is based on a site discount of 5%, Shell Escape discount of 5%, Citi card discount of 4%, and an additional 8% discount when you pay with the Citi Cash Back Card. Esso: Enjoy savings of up to 20.88% on fuel. This discount is based on the Esso site discount of 5%, Esso Smiles Card discount of 5%, Citi card discount of 4%, and an additional 8% discount when you make the payment with the Citi Cash Back Card. Get up to 8% cash back at other fuel stations across Singapore. Regardless of the fuel station, spend a minimum of S$888 in a month to qualify for the 8% discount.Card Highlights:
- 8% cash back on dining, groceries, and Grab rides worldwide.
- 10% Citi Rebate at over 300 participating merchants.
- Complimentary travel insurance.
Caltex: Get instant discount of 16% plus cash rebate of up to 5%. You will get 5% rebate when you spend at least S$800 in a month for all the three months in a qualifying quarter. If your monthly spend is less than S$800 but more than S$400, you will get 3% rebate. Also, the 16% discount will be given only when you pay at outdoor fuel payment terminals. Shell: Get instant discount of 14% plus cash rebate of up to 5%. You will get 5% rebate when you spend at least S$800 in a month for all the three months in a qualifying quarter. If your monthly spend is less than S$800 but more than S$400, you will get 3% rebate.Card Highlights:
- Earn 5% cash rebate on select recurring bills and groceries, and up to 2% rebate on dining. You must spend at least S$400 a month in all three months of a qualifying quarter to earn the rebate.
- Earn 1 reward point for every Singapore dollar charged to this card.
- Make contactless payments by linking this card with Apple Pay.
Caltex: Get an instant discount of up to 16%, depending on the fuel type and whether you make an indoor payment or an outdoor payment. On Regular 92/Platinum 95 with Techron petrol, you will get 14% discount on indoor payment and 16% on outdoor payment. On Ultra-Premium Platinum 98 with Techron petrol, you will get 16% discount for both indoor and outdoor payment. When you buy diesel, you will get 14% discount for both indoor and outdoor payment. Shell: Get an instant discount of up to 14%, which includes a site discount of 5%, Shell Escape discount of 5%, and an additional 4% discount when you pay with your HSBC card.Card Highlights:
- Earn 5 rewards points for every S$1 spent on local dining, entertainment, and online shopping.
- Get 1 rewards point for every S$1 spent on all other retail transactions.
- No minimum spend requirement.
Save up to 19.1% on petrol with this card. These savings include an upfront discount of 15% and 10x TREATS Points. This promotion ends on 31 December 2018 and may be extended at the bank’s discretion. To be eligible for this offer, you must first get a Corporate Fuel Card from Best Petrol & Diesel Supply and link that card with your Maybank World Mastercard. Once linked, any transaction charged to the Corporate Fuel Card will be automatically charged to your World Mastercard.Card Highlights:
- Earn 10x TREATS Points for every Singapore dollar spent on dining and retail shopping.
- Exclusive golfing privileges at 86 golf fairways in 18 countries.
- Complimentary access to JetQuay.
Earn up to 8% cash rebate at leading petrol stations in Singapore (Caltex, SPC, Shell, Esso, and Smart Energy) and in Malaysia (BHPetrol, Petron, Caltex, Shell, and Petronas). The 8% rebate applies when you spend at least S$1,000 in a calendar month. If you spend at least S$500 but less than S$1,000, you will earn 5% rebate. For spending below S$500, the applicable rebate rate will be 0.3%. Also, this rebate is in addition to any instant discount that you may earn at a fuel station, as a membership privilege.Card Highlights:
- Earn up to 8% cash rebate on groceries, bus/train rides, and at various other participating merchants.
- Earn 3x interest on the initial S$30,000 deposit in iSAVvy Savings Account and Youngstarz account when you spend with this card.
- Enjoy discounted/complimentary JetQuay access, along with various other privileges in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Philippines.
Save up to 20.1% on petrol at SPC stations. This discount of 20.1% is based on DBS/POSB card discount of 5%, SPC&U Card discount of 10%, and an additional 6% cash rebate when you charge the transaction to this card. The 6% cash rebate promotion expires on 30 June 2018 and may be extended by the bank at its discretion.Card Highlights:
- Up to 6% cash rebate at Sheng Siong, SP Group, Starhub, and Watsons.
- 5% rebate on overseas transactions and 3% on medical spending.
- Redeem your rebates for shopping at any participating outlet, for credit card bill payment, for CityCab/Comfort taxi vouchers, or for KrisFlyer miles.
Disclaimer: The cards listed here may or may not reflect the “best” in the category.
How Petrol Credit Cards Work
When it comes to petrol credit cards, most card issuers have a partnership with at least one fuel supplier, such as Caltex, Shell, SPC, and Esso, to offer you savings on your fuel bill. The total savings that your card offers usually includes an instant discount when you buy fuel at any partner fuel station and an additional discount (usually in the form of rewards) from the card issuer on spending a certain minimum amount in a calendar month.
The rewards, whether it’s in the form of cash rebate or reward points, are usually credited to your account within a certain time period. You can use those rewards to offset your next fuel purchase, or to redeem for a voucher/gift depending on the rewards programme applicable to your card.
Best Petrol Rewards Programmes in Singapore
Most of the leading fuel suppliers in Singapore offer rewards programmes to allow you to save more on your fuel expenses. These rewards are in addition to your card-specific fuel rewards. To start earning rewards under any of these programmes, you will have to register with the concerned fuel supplier. Depending on the programme you choose, you might be issued a new membership card that you will have to present at the time of purchasing fuel. Alternatively, you can also link your credit card with your desired fuel programme to start earning rewards.
Once you have registered for the programme, you will earn points on all your eligible fuel purchases. These points can be redeemed for shopping vouchers, instant rebates, and much more. Read on to understand some of the leading petrol rewards programmes in Singapore.
Esso Smiles Rewards
With Esso Smiles Rewards programme, you can earn 1 Smiles Point for every litre of Synergy fuel you buy at an Esso station. To start earnings rewards under this programme, you need to sign up for it first. If you have Esso Mobil Privilege Card, DBS Esso Card or Speedpass, you will be automatically enrolled in this programme. Once you have signed up, make sure you present your Smiles Card at the station every time you make a purchase.
You will also earn 35% Bonus Smiles Points when you buy at least 250 litres of Synergy fuel in a month, using the same card. The Smiles Points in your account will never expire if you make at least one transaction at Esso in a year. There are four ways you can redeem your rewards:
- Instant redemption: Rewards can be redeemed instantly at any Esso station. You will have to inform the cashier about the instant rewards you want to redeem.
- By phone: Select the rewards you want to redeem, take a note of the reward code, and call Esso’s customer service hotline to inform them about your choice of rewards.
- By fax: Download the Smiles Redemption Form from Esso’s website. Fill in all the required details and fax the completed form.
- Service station: Download the Smiles Redemption Form from Esso’s website or get one from an Esso station. Fill in the form and hand it over to the cashier.
Shell Escape Rewards
Under this programme, you earn Escape Points for every litre of fuel (of certain grades) you purchase. For every litre of Shell FuelSave 98, Shell FuelSave 95, and Shell FuelSave Diesel, you earn 1 Escape Point. For every litre of Shell V-Power Nitro+, you earn 1.2 Escape Points. You can also earn rewards on your spending at Shell Autoserv (100 points for every car servicing) and Shell Car Wash (1 point for every S$1 spent). Furthermore, Shell has also partnered with DirectAsia Insurance to offer you up to 3,000 Escape Points when you insure your car with DirectAsia Insurance.
To start earning rewards under this programme, you will have to apply for a Shell Escape Card. You can get this card at any Shell station. Once you have the card, you will have to register it online or at a station. As soon as you register, 100 Bonus Points will be credited to your account. Subsequently, every time you pump fuel at a Shell station, you will just have to present the card to get your points. You can redeem these points for a variety of rewards. Check out Shell’s rewards catalogue to know more about the range of rewards available for redemption. Also, you can redeem your rewards instantly by swiping your Escape card at a merchant store or at a Shell station. Accumulated points expire two years from the date they were issued. Moreover, if you haven’t used the card for six straight months, your card will be cancelled and your unutilised points will be forfeited.
The programme rewards you with instant discounts, so you don’t have to worry about accumulating and redeeming reward points. With SPC&U Rewards Card, you can get up to 10% instant discount on petrol and up to 15% (including 5% special discount) on diesel. In addition to instant discounts, you can earn Members’ Treats, e-vouchers, and also get invitation to participate in exclusive events and programmes.
Your first SPC&U card is free of cost. To get this card, you can visit any SPC station with an identity proof, such as your NRIC/FIN/driving license. Once you get the card, you will have to register it online to start earning the rewards. If you don’t register, you will not be able to enjoy any other benefit except instant discount. Your SPC&U membership never expires, as long as you use the card at least once in six months.
Caltex Plus! Rewards Programme
With this programme, you will earn 3 LinkPoints for every litre of fuel purchased at any Caltex station. You can use your LinkPoints for instant rebate at any Caltex station to offset your fuel bill. 150 LinkPoints are equivalent to S$1. Alternatively, you can redeem your LinkPoints at any Plus! Partner store or for online rewards.
To start earning rewards under this programme, you will have to apply for a Plus! Card. You can get this card from any Caltex station for a one-time fee of S$10. Once you sign up, you will also get fuel e-vouchers worth S$15 – five e-voucher of S$2 each and one e-voucher of S$5. Remember, LinkPoints will be issued only when you make indoor or outdoor payment for your fuel purchase. Also, any LinkPoints that you earn in a calendar year will expire on the last day of that year. If you have a Plus! Card or an NTUC Plus! Card, you will get a grace period of six months and 12 months, respectively.
How to Choose the Best Credit Card for Petrol Rebate in Singapore
The decision to choose the best petrol credit card for you will depend on where you purchase fuel and how much you spend per month on fuel purchases:
- Many credit cards offer maximum fuel savings at select petrol stations in Singapore such as Shell, Caltex, Esso, SPC, etc. So if you fuel up at particular stations due to convenience or any other reason, consider a credit card that offers maximum savings and perks at those brands.
- If you travel all over Singapore and stop to refuel at different stations, then choose a credit card that offers cashback, cash rebate or rewards at ALL stations regardless of brands.
- If you frequently travel overseas and use your own transport, then choose a credit card that offers cashback, cash rebate or rewards worldwide so you don’t lose petrol perks outside Singapore.
- Compare the savings with the annual fees that you pay for your card and calculate if you’re actually making a profit at the end of the year.