If you have an AIG home insurance policy and your property has suffered loss or damage, there are several steps you have to follow in order to successfully file for and receive a claim. As stressful as the process is, it can be much smoother if things are done in a timely and organised manner.
The first thing to remember is that you need to file your claim within 30 days of the loss or damage. You need to follow the steps as described below:
Step 1: Immediate steps after discovering loss or damage
- Make sure you are not creating further loss and damage to the house or household items.
- Get AIG’s written consent before disposing any damaged item.
- In case of damage to the property of a third person, get AIG’s written consent before negotiating, admitting liability, or making any settlements.
- File a police report within 24 hours in case burglary, theft or robbery is involved.
Step 2: Making a claim
- Notify AIG agents or broker: Immediately let your broker or agent know directly, or call the AIG hotline at +65 6419 3000.
- Fill up the form: Download the ‘Personal Lines General Claim Form’ from the AIG website and fill it out.
Keep the required documents ready: Several documents might be required for backing your claim. The common documents you will need to submit are:
- Photos of the damage to your property
- Original receipts of purchases
- Repairer’s repair quotation and assessment report on the reason and extent of damage.
- In case of burglary, robbery or theft, you’ll also need to provide the police report filed within 24 hours of the fire incident.
- In case of fire, you’ll need to provide a copy of the Fire Report obtained from the Singapore Civil Defence Force.
In case of third-party legal liability, you’ll need the following additional documents:
- Details of the third party
- Name, identification number, telephone number, and address of the third party
- Name, telephone number, and address of any witnesses
- Any writs, summons, correspondence and documents sent to you by any third party
- If possible, photos of the damaged third-party items
Notes: Do not make any repairs before submitting the repairer’s quote and report to AIG. Check with the company if an on-site survey would be required to assess fire damage.
- Submit your claim: Submit your claim and supporting documents within 30 days of the loss or damage. The mail can be sent to :
AIG Asia Pacific Insurance Pte. Ltd.
AIG Building, 78 Shenton Way #07-16
Singapore – 079120
Step three: Processing your claim
Most claims are processed within 10 working days if documentation is thorough and complete. It may take longer if more documentation is required. You may call the AIG hotline for updates, alongside checking your mail and email. You will receive a cheque in the mail in case the claim is cleared.