Credit cards can be your best friend provided you use them wisely. They offer you with the monetary support that you need at certain times. May it be going for a vacation with your family, booking flight tickets, watching a movie or enjoying a lavish dinner – a credit card will always be there when you need it the most. There are several best credit cards in the Singapore market today. But to choose the best one for yourself you must understand your needs and spending habits. The credit cards come with unique features and perks and are best suited for specific needs only. Shopping is one of the most important features on credit cards. Hence, the cards which offer added benefits for shopping are all the more lucrative for the customers.
The credit cards offered by United Overseas Bank come with solutions that are both customisable and innovative. The shopping credit cards offered by this particular bank provide you with a myriad of features that can prove to be attractive for you.
UOB shopping credit card promotions
- UOB Privileges Passport: This programme offers several shopping, dining, travel and lifestyle discounts. For example, get extra 10% concession on items on sale at Manolo Blahnik, Betty Barclay, LeSportsac, Castaner, Anya Hindmarch, Samantha Thavasa and Samantha Vega.
- Yolo Eat: This dining perks programme is available on the UOB Yolo Card, and it offers benefits such as 10% to 20% discounts on food bill and 1-for-1 buffets.
- There are several shopping promotions under the UOB Lady’s Cards, some of which are listed below:
- Up to 31 December 2017, get a discount coupon of S$20 for Qoo10 on Wednesdays. Only valid for new members.
- Up to 31 December 2017, get a concession of up to 20% at merchants such as Pure Gold Jewellers, Eu Yan Sang, Bee Cheng Hiang, Bonia, Chutney Mary, Durian Mpire, Sprint Class Electronics, Better Vision and O’Coffee Club, located at Changi Airport Terminals 1, 2 and 3.
- Get rebates on health screenings at Raffles Medical Group by using your UOB Lady’s Card. This includes 10% savings on consultation fee, published room rates, and Raffles Enhanced Health Screening packages, among others.
Among the several credit cards offered by UOB, you will find a sizeable number of shopping credit cards, which cater to both online and offline shopping.
List of UOB Shopping Credit Cards:
Features and benefits of UOB shopping credit cards
Listed below are the privileges of owning a UOB shopping card:
- Online shopping benefits: You get 10 UNI$ per S$5 spent on online shopping through the Preferred Platinum Visa and Visa Signature cards, 10 UNI$ per S$5 spent at luxury retailers using the UOB Lady’s Solitaire cards, and 5 UNI$ per S$5 spent on clothes shopping at local department stores, online and overseas. The Yolo Card gives 3% cash rebate on online fashion and travel shopping.
- Co-branding benefits: The Metro-UOB Card is co-branded with Metro Singapore, and offers special Metro shopping perks such as 10% concession at Metro stores, 5% Mero$ rebates at Metro outlets, in addition to a whopping discount of 20% during your birthday month.
- Other benefits: The Yolo Card also gives you dining and entertainment cash rebates of up to 8%, and the Visa Signature’s 10x rewards also extend to overseas spends, petrol purchases and Visa payWave payments. UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card gives 10 UNI$ per S$5 even on entertainment transactions and contactless payments. You also get SMART$ rebates of up to 10% on some of these credit cards.
- Privileges: UOB promotional offers on travel, dining, shopping, health, lifestyle and other categories are also available on all these cards.
Interest Rate for UOB Shopping Credit Cards
The interest rate for UOB credit cards is 25.9% p.a. You are liable to pay this interest charge only if you have not paid the full credit card bill amount every month. If you make prompt and full payment of the outstanding credit card balance before the due date every month, the bank will not charge any interest rate on your spends.
On the other hand, if you don’t make ANY payment on the credit card account – not even paying the minimum required amount month after month – then you will have to pay 3% extra interest as penalty. This penal interest will be applicable on the balance until the entire overdue amount is paid. If you make cash withdrawals from your credit card, the interest rate applicable is 28% p.a.
Fees and Charges for UOB Shopping Credit Cards
The fees levied by UOB on its shopping cards are as given in the table below:
• UOB Yolo, Metro-UOB, UOB Lady’s Classic and UOB Preferred Platinum Visa cards: S$192.60
• UOB Visa Signature Credit Card: S$214
• UOB Lady’s Solitaire Card: S$406.60
• UOB Lady’s Solitaire Metal Credit Card: S$588
|Late payment fee
|Minimum monthly payment
||S$50 or 3% of the outstanding balance, whichever is greater
|Cash advance fee
||S$15 or 6% of the withdrawn amount, whichever is greater
Eligibility Criteria for UOB Shopping Credit Card
The following eligibility parameters need to be met if you want to apply for UOB shopping cards:
- Minimum age requirement: UOB needs you to be no younger than 21 years to apply for its credit cards. To get a supplementary card, the minimum age needed is 18 years.
- Yearly income requirement: The minimum income parameters differs from credit card to credit card. However, on an average, the minimum earnings required in a year for Singaporeans and Permanent Residents is S$30,000, and for foreigners is S$40,000. Alternatively, a fixed deposit of at least S$10,000 with UOB is also sufficient for the lower-priced cards. The UOB Visa Signature Card needs an income of S$50,000 and to get the Lady’s Solitaire Card and its metal versions, you need to earn at least S$120,000 annually.
Documents Required for UOB Shopping Credit Card
The following documents need to be provided along with the application form in order to successfully apply for a UOB credit card:
- Identity proof: For Singaporeans and Permanent Residents – NRIC copy (both the sides); For foreigners – Passport and valid Employment Pass.
- Address proof: For foreigners with a different local address compared to the passport – a copy of telephone, electricity or water bills (any utility bill) that states the current address.
- Income proof: The most recent Income Tax Notice of Assessment, latest CPF contribution history, bank statements for the last 3 to 6 months and computerised payslips to confirm your income and employment.
How to Apply for UOB Shopping Credit Card
You can apply for shopping credit cards of UOB in the following ways:
Through UOB website: You can click on the ‘Apply Now’ button on the UOB website. This will take you to the application form which can be filled in online. You can upload copies of the required documentary evidence and submit everything online. The bank will process your application and let you know of the status.
At bank branch: Visit the UOB branch closest to your residence or office. You can seek the bank executives’ help to fill up the application form. You also need to carry the required documents with you to submit to the bank.
How to Cancel UOB Shopping Credit Card
If you want to cancel your UOB shopping card, you should send a written notice to UOB mentioning your interest in cancelling the card and why you want to do so. You also need to send the primary and supplementary credit cards to UOB along with or after sending this termination notice. The cards should be cut into halves to avoid any misappropriation. If you cancel the primary card, supplementary cards will automatically get cancelled too. Before you cancel a card, you should pay off the outstanding bill and redeem the cash rebates or rewards points available in your card account.