UOB is one of the largest banks in Singapore, offering an array of banking products and services. Its banking services cover insurance, investment, loans, savings accounts, debit and credit cards. The bank offers four different debit cards, each of which offer unique benefits and features. Let’s take a detailed look at the features of each of the bank’s debit cards, and see what to look out for in these cards.
Best UOB Debit Cards in Singapore
UOB Delight Debit Card
The Delight Debit Card is an impressive card designed to offer exclusive benefits to customers on their daily spending. Here are the most prominent features of the debit card:
- The card is predominantly a rebates debit card offering rebates on a wide range of expenses.
- Customers will receive 0.5% rebate on transactions and purchases made at Market Place, Giant, Jasons, Cold Storage, and Guardian.
- All house brands at Guardian, Giant and Cold Storage will attract a 10% discount. Also, at Giant Hyper, cardholders also get special offers (UOB Delight Specials) and free home delivery. The free home delivery and delight specials are available at Parkway, Giant IMM, VivoCity and Tampines.
- The card allows you to make contactless transactions at merchant terminals through Visa payWave.
- The card is compatible to make payments through Apple Pay.
- The card lets you earn up to 10% SMART$ rebates at several participating merchants across Singapore. Note that SMART$ rebates can be redeemed to offset a percentage of your next purchase with your UOB Delight Debit Card.
- As a debit card, the Delight Card lets you make cash withdrawals at ATMs across the globe.
- The card also comes with exclusive dining privileges – you can get discounts on buffet lunches and buffet dinners, as well as enjoy a range of entertainment privileges. All in all, you have over 1,000 entertainment and dining privileges to choose from as a UOB Delight Card holder.
UOB Debit Card
Another popular debit card offered by UOB Singapore is the UOB Debit Card. The card comes with some attractive privileges indeed. Let’s check it out:
- The card lets you earn SMART$ rebates of up to 10% at 400+ merchants across Singapore. Popular participating merchants that let you earn SMART$ rebates include Shell, Cold Storage, Cathay Cineplexes and Guardian, among others.
- Linking your UOB Debit Card with your UOB One Account will let you earn up to 3.33% interest p.a. when you spend on your UOB Debit Card. You will have to make a minimum monthly spend of S$500 in order to qualify for interest earnings on your spendings, after linking your debit card to your UOB One Account.
- As a UOB Debit Card holder, you will get access to exclusive entertainment benefits, dining privileges that include 1-for-1 dining deals at some of the most popular restaurants and hotels in Singapore, travel privileges that constitute discounts on hotel reservations, and more. You can also enjoy savings at SPC and Shell stations in Singapore, while getting an opportunity to make your online shopping experiences more gratifying with discounts of up to 30% on online shopping.
- You can keep a close tab on your purchases through the Mighty mobile application, or by logging into the UOB internet banking platform with your login credentials.
- The card comes with a unique feature that helps to safeguard your e-commerce related transactions. The feature called E-Commerce Protection safeguards your online purchases. Note that purchases of up to US$200 will be protected under this provision. Essential aspects covered under this protection include wrong delivery, incomplete deliveries, delivery of damaged products, non-deliveries, and more.
UOB Lady’s Debit Card
The Lady’s Debit Card is meant exclusively for the ladies. Let’s go ahead and observe the features and benefits of this debit card:
- The card offers noteworthy benefits on lifestyle and shopping. You can earn SMART$ rewards at several popular participating merchants across Singapore with their UOB Lady’s Debit Card.
- You can enjoy complimentary weekend parking at Scotts Square, 313@Somerset, Paragon, and Forum The Shopping Mall.
- You can also enjoy MasterCard Wine Privileges with their UOB Lady’s Debit Card. Note that these privileges include a complimentary bottle of wine when dining in Singapore, China and Hong Kong.
UOB Direct Visa Debit Card
Another rebates card offered by UOB, the Direct Visa Debit Card lets you earn rebates on purchases as well as enjoy travel perks in the following ways:
- Earn up to 10% SMRT$ rebate at more than 400 participating merchants including Shell, Guardian, Cold Storage, Cathay Cineplexes and more. There is no minimum spend requirement.
- If you also have a UOB One Account, spend a minimum of S$500 per month on this debit card to earn up to 3.33% p.a. interest on your account.
- Enjoy exclusive travel benefits including cash withdrawals at no additional charge at UOB ATMs. You will also enjoy UOB Card Privileges that include deals on dining, entertainment, travel and e-shopping.
- Make contactless payments with this debit card with Apple Pay, Visa payWave, Mighty Pay and NETS FlashPay.
- This debit card comes with an EMV Smart Chip that protects your card from skimming in addition to securing your online shopping with SMS transaction alerts and “Verified by Visa”.
- This debit card is accepted throughout the world at more than 30 million Visa merchants.
UOB Debit Card
- Hawker Centres and School Canteens - Make 8 NETS QR code or PIN transactions at select Hawker Centres and School Canteens per month and get S$28 rebate. This promotion is applicable to the firs 288 customers every month until 31 March 2018.
- Borderfree - Enjoy free shipping at Bloomingdale's, Macy’s, Gap Nordstrom and more until 31 December 2017.
- Cathay Cineplexes - Get movie tickets from S$8 and enjoy a discount of S$1 on any combo.
UOB Lady’s Debit Card
- W Singapore - Sentosa Cove - Enjoy 10% discounts at SKIRT, the kitchen table and WOOBAR on dine-ins for up to 6 persons. This promotion is valid between Mondays and Thursdays (excluding eves of public holidays and public holidays) until 31 December 2017.
- Capella Singapore - Enjoy 15% discount at Bob’s Bar until 31 December 2017. Blackout dates are applicable.
- Nine West - Get 15% discount on non-discounted items and up to 50% discount + 5% additional discount on sale items until 31 December 2017.
UOB Direct Visa Debit Card
- Amazon Prime Now - New Amazon Prime Now Singaporean customers will enjoy a discount of S$10 on spending S$40. Use promo code, “NEWUOB10”. Existing customers will enjoy S$10 discount on spending S$80. Use promo code, “UOB10”.
- UOB Privileges Passport - Enjoy discounts of up to 30% in Hong Kong, Bali, Australia, Thailand and more with UOB Privileges Passport.
- Dining deals - Enjoy 1+1 offers at select restaurants in Singapore.
UOB Debit Card Fees and Charges
|Type of fee
||Fees and charges
|UOB Delight Card annual fee
||S$21.40 (waived on minimum annual spend of S$2,400)
|UOB Debit Card annual fee
||S$18 (waived on making minimum 12 MasterCard transactions per year)
|UOB Lady’s Debit Card
||S$18 (3-year fee waiver. Post that fee waived on making minimum 12 MasterCard transactions per year)
|UOB Direct Visa Debit Card
||S$18 (waived on making minimum 12 Visa transactions per year)
|Foreign currency transaction fee
• 2.8% of the transacted amount
• 1% international processing fee for Singapore dollar transactions processed overseas
|Cash withdrawal fee (overseas)
||S$5 charged as ATM withdrawal fee per withdrawal
|Card replacement fee
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- Singapore citizens, Permanent Residents and foreigners are eligible to apply.
- You must have a UOB Savings Account or a UOB Current Account in order to be eligible to apply for a UOB debit card in Singapore.
- There is no minimum income requirement.
- Proof of Identity – Front and Back copy of NRIC or copy of Passport.
- Income documents if you are employed (not absolutely necessary).
- As such, as long as the eligibility is met (in holding any of the accounts mentioned earlier), no additional documents other than income documents need to be submitted to the bank.
How to Apply UOB Debit Card in Singapore?
You can use the following ways to apply for a UOB debit card in Singapore:
- Visit the official UOB Singapore website: Visit the UOB Singapore website and download the application form available on the corresponding card page. You will have to take a print out of this form, fill the required information, attach the requested documents and mail it to the bank.
- Visit the nearest branch of the bank: You can visit your nearest UOB branch in Singapore and physically fill out your debit card application form and apply instantly.
How to Activate UOB Debit Card in Singapore?
There are several ways to activate your UOB debit card which are as follows:
- Through the bank’s website - Visit UOB Singapore website and navigate to the “Credit/Debit Card Activation” webpage. On this webpage, click on the option, “Activate Now”, provide your debit card details and activate your debit card.
- Calling the hotline - You can call the UOB hotline (automated service) which is available 24 hours on 1800 386 8188 to activate your debit card.
- Visit a UOB Bank branch/ATM - You can visit your closest UOB Bank branch or ATM to activate your UOB debit card.
- UOB Mighty App - You can download the UOB Mighty App on your smartphone and activate your debit card through the app.
Q. What if I am a UOB credit cardholder wanting to apply for a debit card? Will I still need to have a savings or current account with the bank?
Yes, even if you hold a UOB credit card, you will only receive your debit card if you have an account with the bank. As an existing credit cardholder, you can open a savings or a current account, and then qualify for the debit card.
Q. What should I do if my UOB debit card has been lost or stolen?
To report your UOB debit card as lost or stolen, you can contact the bank on 1800 222 2121. You will be charged a card replacement fee of S$20 for issuance of a new UOB debit card.
Q. Will I need to have a good credit score to apply for a UOB debit card?
No, your credit score will not be taken into account when you apply for a debit card as it is not a credit product.
Q. Will the cash withdrawal limit on my UOB debit card change when I’m overseas?
No. The same cash withdrawal limit will be applicable on your UOB debit card whether you use it in Singapore or overseas. You cannot request for a higher withdrawal limit when travelling.
Q. Do I need to enable overseas withdrawal service to make cash withdrawals on my UOB debit card overseas?
No. Cash withdrawals are automatically enabled on all UOB debit cards to make withdrawals in Singapore and overseas.