3 Ways to Pay Singapore Property Tax Quickly
There are three easy ways to pay property taxes in Singapore. The most preferred and recommended way of paying property tax is to pay it through IRAS GIRO payment method. Check out the best available option for you to pay your outstanding property taxes
1. GIRO The Most Prefered Tax Payment Method
The advantages of using GIRO for your income tax payment include:
- It is a cashless payment mode which is user-friendly.
- You need not waste time unnecessarily by standing in a queue at a payment kiosk.
- Chances of missing your tax payment due date are minimal.
- You can opt for either 12 interest-free monthly instalments or a GIRO deduction which will be done on a yearly basis.
- You’ll get your tax refunds quicker since the refund amount will be directly credited into your concerned bank account and hence risks associated with misplaced cheques are eliminated.
- You can have complete control over your GIRO plan via the e-Services that are provided by IRAS:
- You can call on 1800 356 8300, connect with IRAS and cancel/modify the GIRO plan you’ve opted for.
- You can sign in to “myTax Portal” to access your tax balance as well as the GIRO plan you’ve chosen. You can access the payment plan via the path that is given below:
Choose ‘Account’ -> ‘View Payment Plan’ -> ‘View Plan’
- You can find out your outstanding tax balance amount through the path given below: Choose ‘Account’ -> ‘View Account Summary’. Your payment made via GIRO will be credited into the relevant tax account in less 3 business days post the date of deduction.
- In case you intend to alter your bank account in relation to GIRO, you will need to submit a GIRO application (new) via your new preferred bank account. On approval, this account will replace your prior GIRO arrangement.
How to apply for GIRO
Via an online application (you’ll receive approval from the banks instantly)
- Net banking: Applicable only to UOB, DBS, POSB, and OCBC customers.
- myTax Portal: You can register for GIRO for individual property as well as income tax via 1 application. Currently, this is applicable only to OCBC customers.
- AXS stations: Applicable to POSB and DBS customers.
Via a GIRO application form (it will take 3 weeks for the form to be processed and approved)
- Utilise the GIRO form that is provided along with the payment receipt which is sent along with the copy of your tax bill (applies to POSB, DBS, OCBC, UOB, Standard Chartered, and HSBC customers).
- Fill in the application form for GIRO with the required details and submit it to IRAS.
2. Pay Through Electronic Payment Methods
- Internet banking - Applicable to UOB, DBS, POSB, OCBC, HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank, Maybank, ICBC, CIMB, BOC, RHB, and State Bank of India customers. Corporate account holders can make payments through DBS, POSB, OCBC, HSBC, UOB, and Standard Chartered Bank only.
- Phone banking - Applicable to UOB, OCBC, POSB, and DBS customers who have opted for this service.
- ATMs - Applicable to POSB, DBS, and OCBC customers.
- DBS PayLah! Mobile App
- AXS e-Stations and AXS m-Stations.
- AXS stations.
- SAM web/mobile.
- SAM kiosk.
- NETS - Applicable at Singapore post branch through over-the-counter payment only.
- Fund transfer via online banking
Card Name: OCBC Voyage Card
Card Type: Miles
Processing Fee: 1.9%
3. Other payment Modes Available to Pay Property Taxes
Credit cards - You will need to confirm with your card issuer if they provide any kind of a payment scheme via which you can make your income tax payment using your credit card. Also, you can choose to use your Mastercard (debit or credit cards) in order to pay your income tax via an “AXS e-Station” or an “AXS m-Station”. With an intent to keep the tax collection costs low and save funds of an income taxpayer as far as possible, IRAS does not support credit card tax payments directly. This is also because credit card issuers charge a very high transaction fee.
Telegraphic transfer - Applicable only if you are overseas and no other payment mode is available to you.
With so many options available to pay your property tax, you can choose a payment method convenient to you.