Filing Income Tax for the Deceased

When someone close to you passes away, his or her taxes need to be sorted. These include filing of trust income tax and personal income tax for the deceased person.

How to File Income Tax Returns for the Deceased Taxpayer?

All the income they earn till the date of passing may be liable for income tax. So, you need to provide below deatails to IRAS


  • Name, complete address, and identification numbers for the legal party who will settle the deceased’s affairs.
  • Death certificate copy.
  • A letter of Administration or a Grant of Probate (if it is available).
  • Details of all income earned from various sources until the date of passing (provide breakdown for each income).
  • Details of tax reliefs that are applicable or available to decrease the tax payable.
Gather all this information and email it to:

The Comptroller of Income Tax Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore
55 Newton Road,
Revenue House
Singapore 307987

If you need further assistance in filing the income tax, call IRAS customer service numbers Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Their number is 1800-356-8300.

Filing Trust Income Tax for the Deceased Person

Any income that arises after the individual has passed away may be liable for trust income tax. This happens when assets that the deceased held continue to generate an income even after they have died. These assets are called the person’s estate.

What is Trust Income?

Trust income comes from assets that are held in a trust by the trustee of:
  • A private trust formed using a trust deed or settlement.
  • A trust formed through the will of a deceased person.
  • Intestate estate (This arises when a person dies without leaving a will).
Some examples of trust income or estate income that you need to declare when a person dies are:
  • Property rental income.
  • Interest earned from banks or financial companies.
  • Profit share earned from a partnership.
  • Dividends earned from shares that were declared after the person died (excluding one-tier or exempt dividends).
  • Non-contractual bonus or director’s fee that was declared after the person died.
  • Income from Real Estate Investment Trusts or Unit Trusts.
  • Profits from share options declared after death.
  • Royalties.
  • Income from abroad that is paid into Singapore.
  • Any other form of profits and gains that provide an income.

In the case of property under joint tenancy, when one of the owners dies, their share goes to the surviving owner or owners. The owner who is still alive needs to declare 100% of the income earned through rent in their own income tax returns after the co-owner’s death.
If the property is held under tenancy-in-common, you have to declare the income share in the deceased’s estate returns.
In the case of joint bank accounts, whatever remains in the account goes to the surviving account holder. In this instance, interest earned after the day the person has died is not considered estate income.

So, once a person has passed away, you can get their affairs in order to file income tax on their behalf.

This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.