Standard Chartered is a recognised brand not only in Singapore but worldwide. In Singapore, the bank offers customers a host of banking products and financial services, popular among them include credit cards, fixed deposits, investment products and more. The bank also offers a choice of 3 debit cards designed to meet specific customer needs.
Best Standard Chartered Debit Cards
Standard Chartered offers a choice of 3 debit card options. Here are the features and benefits of Standard Chartered debit cards:
Bonus$aver World MasterCard Debit Card
If you wish to own this debit card, you must first open a Bonus$aver Account. This account does not charge a monthly fee. Here are some prominent features of this account and debit card:
- First cheque book with this account is complimentary.
- Enjoy savings of up to 3.88% p.a. with this account when you spend using this account, have your salary credited to this account, invest or insure with savings from this account and pay your bills through this account.
XtraSaver Debit Card
XtraSaver is a current account which comes with a debit card that can earn you cashback on purchases. Here are the popular features and benefits associated with this debit card:
- Earn cashback of up to 15% on your petrol purchases over and above existing promotions/discounts at petrol stations.
- Earn cashback of up to 3% on your MasterCard transactions across the world.
- Get a free chequebook upon opening this account.
- You will enjoy Platinum privileges with this MasterCard debit card.
- You can use this debit card to make payments on your credit card bills from any bank’s Visa/MasterCard cards through online or mobile banking.
Standard Chartered Business Debit Card
- This debit card can be used to make cash withdrawals in Singapore as well as overseas, in more than 1 million ATMs.
- This debit card is recognised throughout the world and can be used to transact at more than 30 million establishments across the world.
- Get itemised spending on your expenses on your monthly statements for greater transparency.
- Enjoy privileges from “Live The Good Life” including dining, retail, online shopping and more.
Standard Chartered Debit Card Promotions
Apply for a Bonus$aver Account and 2 credits cards to get cashback up to S$138 after your application has been approved. Terms and conditions are applicable.
Fees and Charges
|Type of fee||Fees and charges|
|Bonus$aver Debit Card annual fees||
• Walk-in customers - S$20
• Employees will enjoy 1-year fee waiver
|XtraSaver Debit Card annual fees||S$20|
|Chequebook||S$15 per chequebook|
|Fee for account closure within 6 months of opening||S$30|
|Fall-below fee||S$5 per month|
Eligibility and Documents Required
- Nationality criterion - Singapore citizens, Permanent Residents and foreigners are eligible to apply.
- Age criteria:
- Bonus$aver Account and debit card - Between 21 and 65 years.
- XtraSaver Account and debit card - 18 years and above.
Mandatory documents include:
- A front and back copy for NRIC (for Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents).
- Passport copy for foreigners.
Supplementary documents (mandatory or optional depending on the type of account/debit card) include:
- Employment Pass/Student Pass/Dependant’s Pass/Work Permit
- Utility bills for the past 3 months
- Bank statements for the past 3 months
- Telecom bills for the past 3 months
- Address proof (a letter from current employer/government-issued letter such as CPF, IRAS, etc.)
- Tenancy agreement
How to Apply for Standard Chartered Bank Debit Cards
There are several ways to apply for a Standard Chartered debit card. However, note that not all channels are applicable for all debit card applications.
- Online application - You can fill out the online application form available on the bank’s website and submit it for approval. This channel is applicable for the XtraSaver Account and debit card.
- Download the application form - You can download the application form available on the bank’s website, take a print out, fill out the necessary information and submit it to the bank. This option is applicable to the Bonus$aver Account and debit card.
- Contact the bank - You can contact the bank, express your interest in a debit card and start your application process. This option is available for the Business Debit Card and the Bonus$aver Account and debit card.
How to Activate Standard Chartered Bank Debit Cards
There are several ways to activate your Standard Chartered debit card which include:
Note: Debit cards that are issued at Standard Chartered Bank branches do not need to be activated.
Q. Is there a cap on the cashback I will earn on my XtraSaver Debit Card spends?
A. Yes. The maximum cashback you can earn per month on your XtraSaver Debit Card is S$200. The cashback you earn will also depend on your account balance and other factors.
Q. When will the fall-below fee be applicable on Standard Chartered debit card accounts?
A. If the minimum average daily balance on the Bonus$aver or XtraSaver Accounts fall below S$3,000, you will be charged with a fall-below of S$5 per month.
Q. Is there a monthly service charge associated with the XtraSaver Account?
A. Yes. A monthly service charge of S$2 will be applicable on the XtraSaver Account. The Bonus$aver Account does not charge a monthly service fee.
Q. How will I know if my Standard Chartered debit card has been activated?
A. You will receive an acknowledgement from the bank regarding the activation after which you can start using your debit card to make transactions.
Q. In order to activate my Standard Chartered debit card via SMS, can I send the SMS from any mobile number?
A. No. Only SMS instructions that are sent from mobile numbers that are registered with the bank will be considered for Standard Chartered debit card activation.