SingPass, or Singapore Personal Access, requires a Two Factor Authentication (2FA) since July 2015. This verification is mandatory only for monetary and information-sensitive transactions carried out using the SingPass login, such as getting the CPF Statement of History, getting your credit score, paying taxes, etc. A 2FA verification involves a user ID and password unique to you as well as a confirmation of the transaction through a One-Time Password (OTP) that will be sent by SingPass to your registered mobile phone and/or email address.
The OTP can be generated in two ways:
- Through SMS
- Through OneKey token
We shall discuss how to allow 2FA using the OneKey token in this article.
What is OneKey Token?
OneKey is a token or device that can be used for Two Factor Authentication not only with SingPass, but also with several other online services such as healthcare, securities trading and banking. OneKey offers three kinds of 2FA options – OTP, Challenge Response, and Transaction Signing. So if you have a OneKey device, you can generate security tokens or any of the above 2FA functions not only for SingPass but also for other online services that need a second level of validation.
OneKey is manufactured by Assurity Trusted Solutions Pte Ltd, which is a subsidiary of Government Technology Agency (GovTech), which manages SingPass.
Setting up 2FA Through OneKey Token
To set up 2FA using OneKey token, follow the steps given below:
- Visit the SingPass website and log in to your account.
- Click on ‘Set up 2-Step Verification’ under the Quick Links section on the home page.
- Click on ‘Register 2FA’. Here you can choose either SMS or OneKey Token.
- Confirm your postal code (of the place where you live) and submit the 2FA request.
- After the registration is complete, within 7 working days, you will receive the OneKey Token device and PIN Mailer at your registered mail address.
If you have automatically been registered for OTP through SMS, you can still add a OneKey token authentication to your account. You’ll have to follow the same steps as above, choosing ‘Verification by OneKey Token’ instead of ‘Register 2FA’. If you already have a OneKey Token and don’t need a new one, you should to go to ‘Set Up 2-Step Verification’ and choose ‘Link OneKey Token’.
Overseas users will have to pay S$35 to get the OneKey device, while it is free for those residing in Singapore.
How to Activate OneKey Token
Once you receive the OneKey Token, you have to activate it for use. The PIN Mailer sent with the device will have detailed instructions on how to activate it. Here’s a brief of the process:
- Go to Assurity’s website (portal.assurity.sg/activate).
- Enter your ID type and ID number (NRIC, FIN, Passport, etc.).
- Enter the initial password sent to you in the PIN Mailer.
- Click ‘Next’ and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Cross-check the information shown on the screen.
- Click ‘Next’ to confirm and move to the OTP page.
- Here, you need to input the serial number given on the back of the token device.
- Press 1 on the OneKey device. This will generate an OTP.
- Enter this OTP on the screen.
- Submit the page and your OneKey will be confirmed as active.
What to do if You Lose or Damage OneKey Token
The OneKey device comes with a warranty of one year from the date of registration. The warranty is not applicable on damages caused by negligence or inappropriate use. The cost of replacing a lost or damaged OneKey Token is S$15.
You can go to one of the OneKey Customer Care Centres with your original NRIC/FIN/other relevant documents and/or damaged token to get a replacement OneKey device. You can also buy a new token from Assurity’s website. The new device will be sent to your registered address along with the PIN Mailer. When you receive the new token, you can activate it like you did the first one.
For any doubts or clarifications, you can contact the OneKey team on +65 6566 3539 or send an email to email@example.com. You may also visit a customer care centre. OneKey Customer Care Centres are located at the following locations:
1. International Plaza
10 Anson Road,
#06-14 International Plaza,
2. PSA Building,
460 Alexandra Road,
#28-04, Singapore 119963
- 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday to Friday
- 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays
- Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays