Travelling has become easier and cheaper than ever with the advancements in transportation modes and technology. A lot of people are taking up travelling as a hobby and the tourism industry is booming. With online booking of tickets and hotels, travelling for business has also been made easy. Whatever be the purpose, nobody likes their travel plans to be hampered because of an unexpected event.
A good travel insurance cover can protect you against a variety of travel related risks like lost baggage, overbooking and travel delays.
MSIG Travel Insurance Overview
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Group, popularly known as MSIG, was founded in 2001 from the merger of Mitsui Marine & Fire Insurance Company and Sumitomo Marine & Fire Insurance Company. Backed by a rich heritage and financial power of its parent companies, MSIG is one of the few general insurers in the world to have a network in every ASEAN country. MSIG was adjudged the “General Insurance Company of the Year” by the Asia Insurance Review in 2011. MSIG caters to the insurance needs of a diversified clientele by offering personal insurance and commercial insurance products.
MSIG’s “TravelEasy” travel insurance plan provides a comprehensive cover against various travel related risks and accidents like disruption of travel, cover against adventure sports and travel postponement.
Features and Benefits of MSIG Travel Insurance
The travel insurance scheme offered by MSIG comes with unique benefits which will let you be spontaneous and carefree when on business and leisure trips overseas. Below are some of the specialities of MSIG travel insurance plan.
- Extensive coverage for premiums as low as S$20.30
- Covers adventure sports like scuba diving, hot air ballooning, skiing and more.
- Emergency medical evacuation services for up to S$1,000,000
- Cover for overseas medical expenses of up to S$1,000,000
- For baggage delay, cover up to S$2,000 is provided.
MSIG Travel Insurance Coverage
- PERSONAL ACCIDENT COVER
In personal accident cover, the following risks are covered under this insurance scheme depending on if the plan is premier, elite or standard.
- Permanent total disablement and accidental death cover
- Cover for death arising from a public transportation accident
- Bereavement costs for death arising due to an accident overseas
- Family assistance benefit and child education grant upon accidental death of a covered parent
- MEDICAL AND RELATED BENEFITS COVER
Under this, protection is offered against the following incidents.
- Overseas accidental medical expenses and dental expenses.
- Medical expenses for treatment done within 72 hours after the insured returns to Singapore.
- Expenses for hospitalization abroad and for treatment by a registered Chinese Medical practitioner.
- Post Journey hospitalization costs
- Medical and travel assistance and 24-hour emergency medical evacuation worldwide
- Compassionate visit costs for a family member to travel and accompany the insured during his hospitalization or upon the death of insured.
- Emergency telephone charges
- Expenses for a relative to accompany a minor child back to Singapore
- TRAVEL INCONVENIENCE COVER
- This cover is offered against unfortunate incidents like loss of personal baggage, loss of wedding apparels & accessories, loss of documents including passport, delayed baggage and departure, flight diversion and loss of personal money.
- Also, other travel related risks like cancellation, postponement, curtailment, disruption and bankruptcy of licensed travel operators are covered.
- Incidents like kidnap, hostage, hijack of a public conveyance and rental vehicle return is also covered under travel inconvenience.
- PERSONAL LIABILITY COVER
Under personal liability, insurance cover is offered against the following incidents depending on if the plan is premier, elite or standard.
- Legal liability for accidents causing bodily injury and damage to third parties.
- Legal costs incurred because of wrongful detention and arrest by any government authorities online.
- LIFESTYLE COVER
Insurance protection is provided against the incidents described below.
- Loss or fraudulent use of credit card lost during overseas travel
- Loss or damage to the insured’s home in Singapore due to fire or burglary
- Special cover for golfers that include unused green fee, damage and loss of equipment
- Adventurous activities cover will protect against risks associated with sports like paragliding, diving, skiing etc.
- ADDITIONAL BENEFITS
As additional benefits, the following are offered.
- Automatic extension of insurance period because of public transport delay or illness and injury
- Cover against acts of terrorism excluding biological, chemical and nuclear warfare
Compare MSIG Travel Insurance With Other Insurance Companies Offering Travel Insurance in Singapore
- AIG Travel Insurance
- AXA Travel Insurance
- AVIVA Travel Insurance
- Liberty Travel Insurance
- ETIQA Travel Insurance
- NTUC Travel Insurance
- HSBC Travel Insurance
- Tenet Travel Insurance
- QBE Standard Plus Travel Insurance
- ACE Supreme Travel Insurance
- Tokio Marine Travel Insurance
- AIA Travel Insurance
FAQs - MSIG Travel Insurance
- I am a foreigner holding a Singapore work permit. Am I eligible for MSIG Travel Insurance?
Yes. Foreigners living in Singapore, holding a work permit or an employment pass can apply for MSIG Travel Insurance and can avail cover for all round trips commencing from and ending at Singapore within the insurance period.
- When does the travel insurance cover take effect?
The cover starts from the minute you depart from Singapore to begin your overseas trip and ends 3 hours after your return to Singapore or upon the expiry of insurance, whichever is sooner.
- Can I get MSIG Travel Insurance for my child who is travelling abroad for a school trip?
Yes. If the child is below 12 years, there should be a parent or adult guardian accompanying the child during the trip.
- What is the minimum premium per policy?
The minimum premium per policy is fixed at $25.
- I had to postpone my trip, and subsequently cancel it because of a natural disaster. Will I be able to claim for both postponement and cancellation?
No. If the claim is due to a same occurrence, you will be able to claim for either one of the benefit but not both.
News About MSIG Travel Insurance
MSIG Travel Insurance Promotion
Run Time - This offer is valid until 17 July, 2016.
Particulars - Get the following discounts when you apply for TravelEasy Insurance from MSIG:
• 15% on purchase of Annual Plan plus $20 worth free gift voucher of Dairy Farm.
• 35% on purchase of Single Trip.
• 10% additional discount on purchase of Group Cover for 6 to 10 people and 15% additional discount on purchase of Group Cover for 11 to 20 people.
Terms and Conditions:
• To avail the Single Trip discount, you have to pay a minimum premium of $25.
• Group cover is available to minimum 2 people and maximum 20 people.
• To get more details about the terms and conditions, please contact MSIG.