HSBC Travel Insurance Singapore
HSBC is one of Singapore’s top banks and has a spate of banking and insurance products in the offing for Singaporean citizens, permanent residents and foreigners. The bank has gained widespread acclaim for achieving several milestones in the Singapore market by way of offering customised products to suit diverse needs of individual customers.
Travel Insurance is one of HSBC’s major insurance offerings. The two types of insurance packages offered by HSBC is ideal for individuals who wish to possess an insurance cover that extends to their families as well.
Let us look at the salient features of HSBC’s Travel Insurance offering and understand what can be expected from the product:
Types of HSBC Travel Insurance Offered in Singapore
HSBC offers two types of travel insurance policies in Singapore. They include:
- Personal Travel Accident Insurance: The Personal Travel Accident Insurance is a common insurance product offered by HSBC to Singaporeans, permanent residents and foreigners. The Personal Travel Accident Insurance covers both yourself and your family and the cover is worth S$300,000.
- Flight Inconvenience Insurance: Flight Inconvenience Insurance is the second type of travel insurance product offered by HSBC. The insurance covers the HSBC cardholder and his/her family (if flight reservations are made using the HSBC credit card). The HSBC cardholder is eligible for an insurance cover of up to S$10,000.
- SmartTraveller: The SmartTraveller Insurance policy is a comprehensive policy that isn’t associated with HSBC debit and credit cards. The policy needs to be purchased through premium payments. The SmartTraveller policy is more comprehensive and elaborate than the insurance plans that come with HSBC credit and debit cards.
Details of Permanent Travel Accident Insurance
Below are the details of the Permanent Travel Accident Insurance cover. The benefits are dependent on the type of HSBC credit card used to make the travel bookings.
|Permanent Disability or Death||Compensation for HSBC Advance Visa Platinum, Revolution and Visa Platinum Credit Card||Compensation for HSBC Premier MasterCard Credit Card|
|Loss of sight in both the eyes||S$300,000||S$1,000,000|
|Loss of both limbs||S$300,000||S$1,000,000|
|Loss of sight in one eye and loss of one limb||S$300,000||S$1,000,000|
|Loss of sight in one eye||S$150,000||S$500,000|
|Loss of thumb and an index finger in the same hand||S$75,000||S$250,000|
Coverage and sum insured for Permanent Travel Accident Insurance
|Person||Sum Insured under insurance plan for HSBC Advance Visa Platinum Credit Card, HSBC Revolution Card and the HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card||Sum insured under insurance plan for HSBC Premier MasterCard Credit Card|
|Immediate adult family member of cardholder||S$300,000||S$1,000,000|
|Immediate child family member of cardholder||S$75,000||S$250,000|
Details of HSBC Flight Inconvenience Insurance Plan
Below are the coverage details of the HSBC Flight Inconvenience Insurance Plan:
|Particulars||Principal Cardholder||Principal Cardholder and Immediate Family members covered under the insurance plan|
|Cancellation of trip||S$4,000||S$10,000|
|Missed flight connection||S$400||S$800|
|Delay of flight||S$1,000||S$1,000|
|Loss of luggage during transit||S$1,000||S$2,000|
|Delay in luggage delivery||S$400||S$800|
How to apply for HSBC Travel Insurance?
Both insurance plans – the Personal Accident Cover and the Flight Inconvenience cover are complimentary insurance covers that are available to HSBC credit cardholders. The following are the conditions that need to be met in order to be eligible for the complimentary insurance packages:
- In order to be eligible, reservations towards flight tickets have to be booked using the relevant HSBC credit card. Using a different credit card that does not have a complimentary insurance package listed in its features will not enable you to obtain an insurance cover while you’re travelling.
- The insurance packages are available with the following HSBC credit cards: HSBC Advance Visa Platinum Credit Card, HSBC Revolution Card, the HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card and the HSBC Premier MasterCard credit card.
- While the HSBC Advance Visa Platinum Credit Card, HSBC Revolution Card and the HSBC Visa Platinum Credit cards offer a complimentary insurance package of S$300,000, the HSBC Premier MasterCard credit card offers an insurance cover of S$1,000,000.
- For any queries relating to complimentary travel insurance packages, you can contact the HSBC Singapore hotline number.
The HSBC SmartTraveller
The HSBC SmartTraveller is HSBC’s primary travel insurance offering and comes loaded with a wide range of benefits. Whether you wish to travel on a vacation or you’re planning a business trip, SmartTraveller ensures that you and your family are covered during any trip. Let us go ahead and look at some prominent features of the HSBC SmartTraveller Travel Insurance policy:
- With the HSBC SmartTraveller insurance plan, your travel insurance cover begins 3 hours prior to the departure of your flight.
- The plan makes you eligible to receive a payout of S$12,000 in the event of trip cancellation and S$20,000 if you’ve made an overseas travel but have to remain overseas to receive medical treatment for an unforeseen illness/condition/accident.
- The insurance policy offers a cover of up to S$600,000 for dental treatments and medical treatments in overseas destinations.
- The insurance policy also covers adventure and leisure sports including skydiving, parachuting and bungee jumping.
Coverage details of the HSBC SmartTraveller Insurance Plan
Personal Accident Coverage
|Death by accident or total permanent disablement due to accident:|
•Adult up to 70 years of age
•Adult over the age of 70
|Double Public Transport Coverage (double pay for death by accident whilst travelling in public transport overseas)|
• Adult up to 70 years of age
• Adult over the age of 70
|Tuition grant for child (in the event of the parents’ death while overseas)||S$8,000||S$4,000|
Coverage for medical and dental expenses
• Adult up to 70 years of age
• Adult over the age of 70
|Expenses related to pregnancy||S$8,000||S$4,000|
|Hospital allowance overseas||S$40,000||S$20,000|
|Hospital Visit Benefit||S$10,000||S$5,000|
|Child care benefit||S$10,000||S$5,000|
|Special insurance grant (lump sum amount paid if death of the insured or his/her family member were to occur overseas)||S$8,000||S$4,000|
Travel Inconvenience Coverage
|Inconvenience faced during travel||Comprehensive||Essential|
|Loss of baggage or personal valuables||S$7,000||S$5,000|
|Loss of laptop, mobile phone or wireless devices carried during the trip||S$1,500||S$1,000|
|Loss of items purchased overseas||S$500||S$250|
|Delay in arrival of baggage or luggage||S$1,000||S$1,000|
|Personal liability cover (liability caused to third party)||S$1,000,000||S$1,000,000|
|Inconvenience caused due to cancellation of trip||S$12,000||S$6,000|
|Postponement of trip||S$1,600||S$800|
|Unauthorised use of lost credit card||S$1,500||S$1,500|
|Replacement of travel documents (essential documents including passport and visa)||S$5,000||S$2,500|
|Insolvency of travel agency||S$6,000||S$3,000|
|Delay in travel (S$100 will be paid to the policyholder for every 6 hours delay in travel)||S$1,000||S$1,000|
|Trip curtailment (cover towards prepaid travel expenses in the event of the overseas trip being cut short)||S$20,000||S$10,000|
|Quarantine allowance for Influenza A||S$700||S%350|
|Loss of sport equipment carried whilst travelling overseas||S$1,500||S$750|
|Pet care expenses||S$1,500||S$750|
|Rental car damage||S$2,000||S$1,000|
How do you claim complimentary travel insurance from HSBC?
- If you are eligible for an insurance cover, here is how you can make a travel insurance claim:
- Call up the HSBC Hotline number and provide details of your claim to HSBC.
- Keep all documents and other information, including circumstances and sequence of events ready. You will have to provide details to the Customer Service Representative.
- Most claims will be settled within a period of 8 working days. In advanced cases, claims may take more time to be settled.
- In order to make a claim, you will be required to download the claim form and submit the same along with travel documents and other relevant documents. The claim form is available on the HSBC Singapore website.
HSBC Travel Insurance Promotion in Singapore
Till June 30, 2017, all HSBC credit card and debit card members can enjoy 25% off on purchase of Single Trip plan and a 20% off on purchase of an annual travel insurance plan.
Key benefits of buying a travel insurance plan from HSBC
Purchasing a travel insurance plan – either a SmartTraveller policy or a policy associated with select HSBC credit cards – come with a host of benefits. Let us take a look at the most notable benefits that can be received:
- Policies come with death benefits – not just for you but also for your family members who are travelling with you.
- The policy covers a wide variety of details to ensure comprehensive coverage. For instance, the policy separately covers medical benefits, dental benefits and travel inconvenience benefits.
- Subtle aspects including loss of electronic devices, sport equipment and pet care is covered in the SmartTraveller insurance plan.
- The policy comes at a relatively lesser cost – mostly with reference to its elaborate and comprehensive coverage.
- The SmartTraveller policy also covers travel security – this involves hijacking, kidnapping, being held hostage and a terrorism cover.
- Trip inconvenience coverage is immensely elaborate, especially in the case of the HSBC SmartTraveller insurance plan.
- The SmartTraveller plan also offers golf coverage if any damage were to take place to your golf equipment while travelling to overseas destinations.
HSBC Travel Insurance Hotline Number
If you have any queries that you wish to be addressed or any grievance redressal, you can directly contact the HSBC Travel Hotline Number. Right from getting your queries answered to settling an insurance claim, the Hotline will help you with a wide range of services.
The HSBC Travel Insurance Hotline Number is: (65) 6880 4070.
HSBC Travel Insurance FAQs
- How long does it take to settle an insurance claim after the claim is made?
HSBC usually takes about 8 working days to settle an insurance claim. Customers can contact the HSBC Insurance hotline number in order to settle claim. However, the claim can take more than 8 days in case more details and cross-checks need to be done.
- Is the SmartTraveller policy offered with HSBC credit cards as well?
While the Personal Accident and Flight Inconvenience packages are offered with select HSBC credit cards, the SmartTraveller policy is independent of the package offered with the credit cards. Customers will need to purchase the SmartTraveller policy separately if they have to obtain benefits of the policy.
- Can the SmartTraveller policy be clubbed with individual credit card insurance policies that come with select HSBC credit cards?
No, the different travel insurance plans cannot be clubbed.
- Does the HSBC SmartTraveller policy have extensions?
Yes, the SmartTraveller policy offers automatic policy extensions. It offers a 30 day extension if you’ve been hospitalised overseas – but this should be confirmed by a certified physician. Also, Flight inconvenience extensions are applicable for extended delays of 72 hours.