If you are an owner of a Housing and Development Board (HDB) flat, then you must buy and renew the HDB Fire Insurance policy for your home. This is a compulsory home insurance scheme for all HDB flat owners as it takes care of the cost of reconstructing the house in case of fire. This policy is a cover that will only insure internal damages like water pipe bursts and fixtures. This scheme will not cover your home contents like furniture, decorations, and personal properties.
The only employed insurer for this scheme is Etiqa and the cover is valid for 5 years. Etiqa designed the ePROTECT home to insure your home contents but this is an add-on policy that you must buy. The HDB Fire Insurance Scheme and Etiqa’s home content coverage policy, combined, will give a wholesome coverage for your home and your household goods.
Key features and benefits:
The HDB Fire Insurance plan was introduced to provide financial assistance to flat owners for the repairs required if the house catches fire. The key benefits of this policy are:
- The scheme will insure your house for five years with reasonable premiums.
- The policy will take care of the cost of damages caused by fire to internal fittings like water pipe bursts, fixtures, and structures. The list of damages need to be submitted by HDB and authorised developers.
Premiums and coverage:
The 5-year premiums for this home insurance scheme, between 16 August 2014 and 15 August 2019, are shown in the table below:
|Type of flat||Premium (With 7% GST)||Insured amount|
|Executive flats or multi-generation flats||SS$7.50||$98,200|
|Type A studio apartment||S$3.50||S$29,000|
|Type B studio apartment||S$4.00||S$37,200|
Thank Etiqa It’s Friday (TEIF) Sale is an insurance sale promotion that gives you top deals on travel, maid, car, personal accident plans and personal movement plans. Use the coupon code ‘DECTEIF’ and get up to 56% discount on Etiqa’s online protection plans.
Features and benefits of the promotion:
- The 1-year protection plan for household goods has a rebate of 5% on premium amount.
- The 5-year coverage plan has an additional 5% off on the prevailing 15% discount.
- Enjoy up to 15% rebate, along with an additional 10%* discount, on the premium for ePROTECT travel insurance plan.
- Get up to 35% along with 5%* discount on the premium amount for ePROTECT maid coverage.
- Receive a 25% discount on the coverage for car protection.
- A 28% off on the premium for personal accident insurance.
- Enjoy a 10% rebate on the premium amount for ePROTECT personal movement insurance like bicycle or skateboard insurance.
- Receive a 10% discount on the premium amount for mosquito-borne disease coverage.
*Please note – The additional amount is applied on any prevailing discount or rebate.
Terms and conditions:
- The coupon code is valid only on Fridays in December 2017.
- This promotion is valid for individuals who purchased Etiqa’s General Insurance products through their online platform.
- Etiqa can change the promotional offers anytime.
- This promotion cannot be combined with any ongoing insurance promotions and staff discounts.
- The TEIF promotion is not valid for individuals who have cancelled any policy within the last 14 days.
How to make an HDB fire insurance claim
Step 1: You need to fill up a claims form and submit it to Etiqa’s website.
Step 2: According to your claim type, you need to submit documents like original receipts of all the goods that are lost in the fire, a probable repair cost and photographs of the damaged items.
You need to contact the Claims Team of Etiqa Insurance. They will evaluate the situation, conduct a site survey if needed, and assign an appointed Loss Adjustor to take a look at your home. This person will analyse the site survey and decide if the claim is worth considering. If the site survey is not needed, you can fill up the Property Claim Form and submit the same to the Etiqa Claims Team for approval.
To know more about Etiqa’s Fire Insurance Scheme, you can get in touch in the following ways:
- Customer care number: +65 6887 8777
- HDB fire protection hotline number: +65 6331 9253
- HDB basic fire coverage claims only: +65 9695 1338 (Chan Ping Siew) and +65 8218 8521 (Quah Ker Leng)
- HDB fire insurance office address (Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.): HDB Hub, Counters 01 and 02, Sales Office, Atrium 1st Storey, 480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh, Singapore – 310480.
- Customer Care office address (Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.): 16 Raffles Quay, Hong Leong Building, #01-04A, Singapore 048581.
Fax number for customer care and HDB fire insurance: +65 6339 2109
- Customer care: email@example.com
- HDB fire insurance: firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. What is Tenant’s Liability Cover?
A. If you are a tenant of the house that has incurred heavy loss or damage to building, fitting and fixtures belonging to the landlord, then Etiqa will cover up to $500,000 for you. Etiqa will also take care of the cost of any legal paperwork or litigation incurred by you or your immediate family living in the house.
Q. If I change houses during the policy period, what happens to my policy?
A. In case if you move to a different HDB flat, then you need to simply inform Etiqa by an email and they will update your new address in their policy schedule. But, if you move to a private flat or a condominium, then get in touch with Etiqa immediately as ePROTECT home covers only HDB flat owners.
Q. Does home insurance cost more than home renovation?
A. No, Etiqa provides reasonable home protection coverage for as low as 30 cents a day.
Q. Does home insurance cover similar risks as fire protection?
A. No, it does not. The home coverage policy only complements the HDB Fire Insurance policy. It is mandatory for you to buy both policies to get a wholesome coverage.
Q. Will this insurance policy cover my medical bills?
A. Yes, HDB Home Insurance plan will protect you and your family members for a maximum of S$1,000 each for medical treatment.