What is Pre-existing Condition Cover?
A pre-existing condition can be any illness/disease/health condition that is present before/while you are starting your health insurance policy. Pre-existing conditions can be major health issues or minor conditions. Few examples of pre-existing conditions include a skin condition, diabetes, an old knee surgery, cancer that is under treatment or reducing, viral infections, past injuries, asthma, etc. Insurance providers in Singapore are covering people with such pre-existing conditions. However, not all insurance companies in Singapore provide coverage for pre-existing conditions. MediShield Life provides coverage for people with pre-existing conditions.
Pre-existing Conditions With High Severity
The Singapore Ministry had a survey on pre-existing conditions with high severity. People with such conditions are supposed to pay additional premiums, under the guidance of clinician specialists. Broad categories for differentiating various pre-existing conditions with high severity were created. Additional premium is subject to certain factors like nature of the condition and its severity. The broad categories and few examples of pre-existing conditions with high severity are listed below:
- Blood disorders like thalassemia major, aplastic anaemia, etc.
- Circulatory system diseases (including heart) such as coronary artery disease, ischaemic, etc.
- Cancer including colorectal cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer, etc.
- Degenerative disorders like Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), parkinson’s disease, muscular dystrophy, etc.
- Respiratory disorders such as obstructive pulmonary.
- Immune System disorders like HIV/AIDS, systemic lupus erythematosus, etc.
- Cerebrovascular illnesses like stroke.
- Liver disorders such as chronic hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, fibrosis or cirrhosis of liver, etc.
- Renal disorders including renal failure, chronic renal disease and chronic nephritic condition.
- Psychiatric conditions like schizophrenia.
- Congenital diseases such as biliary atresia, congenital heart and renal disease, etc.
- Serious complications and chronic conditions like kidney and heart diseases that are hypertensive, diabetes with eye and kidney complications, etc.
However, additional premiums is not applicable to everyone with pre-existing conditions with high severity:
- Pre-existing conditions with less severity that can be well-controlled such as hypertension with no complications, well-controlled diabetes, fibroids or cysts, osteoarthritis, pre-cancers, etc.
- People who got hospitalised due to an event like dengue fever or an accident.
Pre-existing Conditions Insurance Features and Benefits
Let’s know in detail about insurance providers and plans that cover pre-existing conditions.
AXA GlobalCare Health Plan
- AXA Health Insurance GlobalCare Health Plan provides coverage for pre-existing conditions for selected plans.
- Get reimbursement for medical expenses like hospitalisation expenses, pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation treatments, hospice and palliative care, and outpatient treatments.
- Enjoy maternity and newborn benefits with selected plans. Get an additional coverage for mums-to-be in case of prenatal and postnatal complications.
- Get coverage for vaccinations, optical and dental care, alternative treatments like homeopathy, traditional Chinese Medicine, etc. with selected plans.
- You don’t have to pay anything from your pocket with AXA GlobalCare Health Plan, since it covers you from the first dollar itself.
- You need not undergo medical examinations for getting AXA GlobalCare Health Plan.
- AXA InternationalExclusive is an expatriate health insurance plan that can be used within Asia or abroad.
- This plan covers specialist consultations, general practitioners, dressing, prescribed drugs, vaccinations, and diagnostic tests.
- It covers pre-existing and congenital conditions but it is applicable only after 270 days of consecutive membership.
- You can get cashless hospital admission after approval.
- With AXA InternationalExclusive you will also get the coverage for maintenance of non pre-existing treatments and chronic conditions.
- You can get information about your plan and claims any time, i.e. 24 hours enquiry is available.
- With this plan you can get emergency medical assistance overseas. Overseas evacuation and repatriation service is available at any time.
Pacific Prime Singapore – Plans for Pre-existing Conditions
To know the detailed plans and benefits for pre-existing conditions health insurance, you will have to request a quote from Pacific Prime Singapore on their official website. The coverage options available with Pacific Prime Singapore for pre-existing conditions are:
- Full coverage: It means your pre-existing conditions are also included without extra premium or exclusions.
- Pre-existing conditions coverage with premium loading: It means you have to pay an extra premium to the insurance provider to cover your existing condition.
- Pre-existing conditions plan after a moratorium period: During moratorium period (usually it is 1-2 years) you won’t be eligible for claiming for treatments for your pre-existing conditions.
- Pre-existing conditions plan after a moratorium period with low limit: This plan is the same as the above where you cannot make claims on your pre-existing conditions during the moratorium period, but a lower limit on claims is permitted after completing the waiting period.
- Standard medical insurance excluding pre-existing conditions coverage: Pre-existing conditions are not covered but you can join the standard plan.
- Refusal of coverage: The insurance company will not allow you to join the plan.
If you are having a pre-existing medical condition, it does not mean that you cannot get health insurance for yourself. You can compare the above plans and get one depending on your medical condition.