As the name suggests, this life insurance policy can only be purchased from NTUC Income branches or online. Since there are no middlemen involved, the policy allows you to enjoy comprehensive coverage at an affordable premium.
Types of NTUC Direct Purchase Insurance Plans
- DIRECT - Whole Life
- DIRECT – Term
|Direct Purchase Insurance||About||Coverage Period|
|DIRECT - Whole Life||
|DIRECT - Term||
Features and Benefits
- Non-guaranteed bonuses, depending on the performance of the Life Participating Fund.
- Access to Income Treats rewards programme. Income Treats are awarded for categories like dining, maternity, leisure, beauty and fitness.
- You can choose to pay the premiums annually, month to month, quarterly, or half-yearly.
DIRECT - Dread Disease Rider
In order to enhance your coverage, you can add this rider to your policy. You can purchase this rider with both the whole life and term plans. If you are diagnosed with any dread disease that is listed under the policy, you will get the coverage amount of the rider. There are certain things that you need to know before you purchase this rider:
- There will be a waiting period of 90 days, starting from the date when you purchase the rider, for health conditions like heart attack, major cancers, angioplasty, and coronary artery by-pass surgery.
- In case of angioplasty or any other coronary artery-related invasive treatment, you will 10% of the amount that you would get otherwise for any other dread disease, subject to a maximum of S$25,000. You can’t claim this benefit more than once. Once claimed, your rider will continue with a reduced sum insured.
NTUC Direct Purchase Insurance Coverage
|DIRECT - Whole Life||
|DIRECT - Term||
How to Apply for NTUC Direct Purchase Insurance
While DIRECT - Whole Life can be purchased only from NTUC Income’s branches, the DIRECT - Term is available at NTUC Income branches as well as online. Apart from that, there is no other distribution channel for these plans.
Check your Eligibility for NTUC Direct Purchase Insurance
DIRECT - Whole Life
|Premium payment period||Minimum entry age||Maximum entry age|
|Until the age of 84 years||18 years||64 years|
|Until the age of 69 years||18 years||59 years|
DIRECT - Term
|Coverage period||Minimum entry age||Maximum entry age|
|5 years||18 years||64 years|
|20 years||18 years||64 years|
|Up to the age of 64 years||18 years||59 years|
How to Claim NTUC Direct Purchase Insurance
To submit a claim, you need to visit the website of Income and navigate to the “Claims” section. There you will find a list of claims. You can click on the one relevant to you and follow the further instructions on the page.
In general, the steps of a claim would include the following:
- Download the relevant claim form from the site and fill it out with all the required details.
- Prepare the documents supporting your claim. For example, in case of claim for TPD, you must have a statement from the Doctor you are consulting along with lab reports and NRIC. You could also produce a police report or a newspaper article about the incident, if applicable.
- You then have to submit the completed form along with the documents at an Income branch. Alternatively, you could mail it to
- Claims Service Centre
75 Bras Basah Road
- submit to your Direct Purchase Insurance adviser.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is meant by a Participating Policy?
A. Participating policyholders get a share in profits of the participating fund of the insurer. The returns from the investment fund, the claims experience of the fund and the level of expenses incurred will determine the returns you gain on the fund.
Q. How can I request for a change in the frequency of the premium payment, e.g. from monthly to yearly?
A. You can request for a change in the frequency of the payment by sending a request by email at [email protected] You will get assistance from the staff.
Q. Can I apply for a loan on the policy?
A. Yes, you can take a loan on the main policy, but not on the rider taken, if any.
Q. How long will Income take to process my claim?
A. Usually claims are settled within 2 weeks after Income receives your application.
Q. When should I make a claim?
A. Claims should ideally be made as soon as the incident has occurred. Income accepts claims made within 6 months of the incident. However, this may vary according to the type of claim you are attempting to make and therefore, it is best to make it right away.