Taking care of your teeth is not only an aesthetic need but also a matter of hygiene and confidence. To keep smiling bright, you need to take care of your teeth. Dental procedures are very expensive in Singapore and therefore the need of a dental insurance arises.
Who should consider dental insurance
If you have a history of bad teeth in your family, it is wise to sign up for dental insurance. This is because you know that the chances of tooth decay or other dental problems are high.
You have a medical condition where you need a continuous dental procedure to be performed.
You eat a lot of sweets and thrive on junk food, it will damage your oral hygiene in the long run, hence you should consider getting a dental insurance plan.
Types of dental insurance
Usually, dental insurance is provided as a rider (add-on) to a regular health insurance policy coverage. You will be required to pay a separate amount as premium depending on your age and coverage. The insurer could put a restriction on the number of visits to a dental clinic or a payout limit.
There are very few health insurance policies that offer a separate dental insurance plan. Some companies may also offer dental insurance to their employees, but the coverage is usually very low.
Levels of dental insurance coverage
Routine dental procedures would include emergency treatment, consultations, root canal, teeth cleaning, and x-rays. Since these procedures cost lesser than major, the amount charged for this level is lower.
Major dental procedures include treatment for gingivitis, membrane and periodontitis, root scaling, fixing temporary crowns, bridgework and orthodontic work.
Things to know before buying dental insurance
You need to check if they provide copayment or direct/cashless payment for dental care.
Most dental insurances do not provide coverage for cosmetic dental procedures.
There is always a waiting period for dental procedures, except for emergency treatment. The waiting period could vary from 1 month to 6 months.
You also need to consider the network of dentists/hospitals that your insurer has tied up with. Your convenience in reaching out to these dental clinics would be of utmost importance.
Listed below are some of the dental insurance plans in Singapore that you could consider.
POSB Dental Insurance
POSB offers the following features to its customers –
- It offers cashless payment at any of the approved clinics in Singapore.
- It promises to pay the regular charges incurred at the approved clinics up to the amount of the benefit limit under the plan you fall into.
- This includes preventive check-up, root canal in case of severe tooth damage and dental radiology among others.
- It offers plans under the name of Classic, Platinum and VIP. The yearly limit of benefit is capped at S$1,000 for Classic, S$1,500 for Platinum and up to S$2,000 for VIP.
- The premium for Classic is S$238.80, for Platinum it is S$358 and for VIP it is S$478 per year.
- There is a no waiting period for emergency dental services. For other dental services, there is a waiting period of 90 days.
- Additionally, this dental insurance is underwritten by MSIG.
Who can apply?
- The age limit for this plan is between 18 years and 60 years. You should be living in Singapore.
- You should be an existing DBS customer to be able to sign up for this plan.
- This offer can be used by an individual as well with a spouse.
- Foreigners can also sign up for this dental plan along with Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents.
How to apply for POSB dental insurance?
You could fill in the contact form available on the website of the bank and they would get back to you.
Alternatively, you could call the hotline, which is 6827 7607.
How do I make a claim?
Except in emergency situations, you could call the Dental Assist hotline at 6827 2418 to understand the details before your visit to the dentist.
MSIG will settle the bill directly with the clinic, when you visit an approved dentist. In case you must undergo a treatment that is not covered, you will have to pay the bill.
In the instance of you visiting a dentist who is not in the approved panel of Msig Insurance, you will have to request the attending doctor to fill the “Medical Report” section of the claim form. You may download the claim from the website.
You, then, must submit the claim along with the bills and x-rays, if any. This should be submitted within 30 days to MSIG as POSB Dental Insurance is underwritten by it.
EverDental by Maybank
Maybank offers dental care insurance underwritten by Chubb. Here are the details of the insurance:
- It offers access to 70 dentists under its network.
- It includes a range of dental services like dental implants, extractions that are non-surgical in nature, and orthodontic care.
- Additionally, it also covers tooth whitening and cosmetic dental care, which most insurers do not cover.
- It offer 100% cover for preventive dental visits as well as emergency and accident treatment.
- In the unfortunate event(s) of accidental death or Total Permanent Disability (TPD) it will pay up to S$50,000 along with an annual increment of 2.5%. This, it claims goes up to 200% of the actual amount.
- It does not cover pre-existing dental conditions.
- The waiting period for EverDental is usually 90 days.
How to apply for EverDental?
To apply for this dental insurance plan, you will need to apply to Chhub by calling them on 6505 5580 between Mondays and Fridays.
Who can apply?
The age limit for this plan is between 18 years and 60 years. You can renew this plan until you turn 65 years.
Foreigners can also sign up for this dental plan along with Singaporean citizens and Permanent Residents. Foreigners will have to produce a valid identity card like work permit.
With the rising cost of dental services and lifestyle choices, it is imperative to have a dental insurance plan in place. With health insurance companies offering dental plans, it is easier for customers to enjoy the benefits without hassles.