If you are an avid traveller and like to take vacations with your family, then family travel insurance is a component that you must consider. Adding a family cover to your travel insurance will make sure you and your family are insured, in case of any accidents, medical emergency, lost luggage, theft, natural disaster and so on. Family travel insurance provides coverage for both single trip plans and yearly multi-trip travel plans.
Types of family travel insurance plans
Single trip insurance plan
A single trip insurance plan is best suited for those individuals, groups or families who require travel insurance only for a single or at the most two trips in a year. This plan will cover most issues like illness, theft, personal injury, trip cancellations, etc.
- Best suited for long trips abroad
- A reasonable plan for those who travel once in a year
- Easily available online
- Coverage duration up to 182 days
- Can be booked even at the last moment
- The plan needs to be renewed every time you travel overseas.
- It is expensive if you travel often or go for short trips.
Annual multi-trips insurance plan
A multi-trip insurance plan is for those who intend to travel more than once in a year. If you purchase this plan from the right insurer, then you can have substantial savings on bookings. You have to buy this plan only once in a year to cover all the individual trips that you take in that period.
- More convenient option if you travel multiple times in a year
- Saves time and money
- Easier to enjoy premium discounts on this type of travel plan
- Coverage duration up to 90 days
- The plan can be expensive if you do not travel often.
- It’s not a good option for people who stay for over 90 days at a destination.
Features and benefits of family travel insurance
- Enjoy 24/7 emergency medical assistance and evacuation services, worldwide.
- Get coverage for emergency hospitalisation and medical expenses in Singapore and overseas.
- Receive coverage for accidental death and/or permanent disability.
- Enjoy complete coverage for checked-in luggage such as a handbag or personal belongings.
- Get insurance for trip or flight cancellations and flight delays.
Eligibility for family travel insurance
You are eligible for Singapore’s travel insurance plan, if:
- You are 18 years and above.
- You are a Singapore citizen or a permanent citizen in Singapore.
- Your overseas trip starts from Singapore and ends at Singapore.
- You are a foreigner with an employment pass or a work permit or a student’s pass or dependent’s pass.
Some of the top family travel insurance providers
- Allianz Global Assistance
- Aviva Singapore
- AXA Singapore
- AIG Singapore
- Hong Leong
- Tokio Marine
- Sompo (Tenet Sompo)
- American Express
With a plethora of choices in the market, you are bound to get confused between multiple insurance plans that will suit your travel needs and requirements. The only way you can get rid of the confusion is by reading the terms and conditions of each insurance plan and then deciding. If you travel with a small family (up to three members), then you can opt for the group travel insurance and save on your insurance plan. If you take trips with a bigger family, buy the family insurance plan at special rates. You are allowed to customise your travel insurance plan according to the countries you want to visit, be it worldwide or an Asian region. Once you have decided on the right insurance policy, you can safely go on a holiday with your loved ones or take a business trip.