When you take a loan for your Housing & Development Board (HDB) flat, it’s mandatory to purchase a fire insurance policy as well. Etiqa, which is jointly owned by Maybank and Ageas, is the appointed insurer for the HDB Fire Insurance scheme in Singapore since 2009. The scheme was launched to help protect HDB flat owners from unfortunate events like fire.
With an option to lock-in the premium for five years, Etiqa offers some of the most affordable home protection policies in Singapore. When you lock-in the premium for five years, you also get 24/7 emergency assistance for various day-to-day issues, like plumbing repairs, electricity repairs, and more. If you wish to, you can complement your fire insurance with another Etiqa plan that covers your home contents and renovations.
Key Features and Benefits of Etiqa Home Insurance
- Etiqa offers some of the most affordable plans for HDB flat owners in Singapore, with premiums starting from as low as S$0.17 per day.
- If you are buying fire protection for your HDB flat, you get the option to lock-in your premium for five years.
- Enjoy 24/7 emergency home assistance with 5-year premium plan.
- You get the flexibility to choose a plan that matches your home contents coverage requirement and budget.
- Get personal liability coverage of up to S$500,000 for protection against any accident that may result in injury or damages to a third party.
Types of Plans Offered by Etiqa
Etiqa offers comprehensive coverage for your home and its contents against the risk of unfortunate events like fire, lightning, or domestic explosions. The company has three plans in its portfolio of home insurance:
HDB Fire Insurance
In Singapore, it’s mandatory for HDB flat owners to purchase an HDB Fire Insurance. It covers the damage caused to your flat’s internal structure, fixtures, and fittings as provided by the HDB. It also allows you to lock-in your premium for five years.
ePROTECT home offers protection for your home contents and renovations. Depending on your requirements, you can choose from three plans: Standard, Deluxe, and Prestige. No matter what plan you choose, you can ensure protection for your home contents and renovations at less than S$1 a day. The premiums start from S$60.50 for one-year plans and from S$257.20 for five-year plans.
It’s a mortgage reducing term plan that has been designed to pay for your home loan when you are no longer able to do so. Depending on your financial objectives, you can choose the term of the policy. The term can be between 6 to 40 years or up to 75 years of age, whichever is earlier. Whatever term you choose, you will have to pay the premium just for 90% of the term. Additionally, based on the interest on your mortgage loan, you can choose the preferred interest rate from a range of 1%-4% per year.
Here’s an illustration to understand how ePROTECT mortgage works: Assume that you have purchased a home with S$1 million loan. You insure this mortgage amount with a 30-year ePROTECT mortgage plan, which is reducing at 3% interest rate. This way you will have to pay S$1,060 as annual premium for only 27 years. In the event something happens to you and you are no longer able to repay the loan, ePROTECT mortgage will take care of it.
|Features||ePROTECT home||HDB Fire Insurance||ePROTECT mortgage|
|Pet cover||Yes (pedigree pet)||No||No|
|Any other key feature||Personal liability coverage of up to S$500,000||Option to lock-in the premium for five years||eXTRA secure waiver (rider): With this rider, your policy continues without paying any premium, in case the insured person happens to suffer from a critical illness.|
Etiqa Home Insurance Promotions
Get up to 20% off ePROTECT home plans with Etiqa’s ‘Thank Etiqa It’s Friday Sale’. You can apply for this promotional offer on any Friday in the month of January 2018, using the coupon code “JANTEIF”. On applying this coupon code, you will get a discount of 5% on 1-year package and up to 20% concession (5% promotional rebate plus the 15% discount already being offered) on 5-year plans.
Etiqa Home Insurance Policy Premiums
The premium for your ePROTECT home plan is determined on the basis of the coverage you choose (Standard, Deluxe, or Prestige) and the term of the plan.
|Coverage (GST included)||Standard||Deluxe||Prestige|
|5-year plan (after 15% OFF)||S$257.20||S$412.70||S$556.40|
HDB Fire Insurance
The premium and the building sum insured under this policy is based on the type of HDB flat you own.
|Type of flat||Sum insured of your building (S$)||5-year term premium (Inclusive of 7% GST; S$)|
|Type A Studio Apartment||29,000||3.50|
|Type B Studio Apartment||37,200||4.00|
The premium is determined on the basis of the term of the policy and the mortgage reducing interest rate. You can choose a term between 6 and 40 years or up to the age of 75, whichever is earlier. Depending on the interest on your mortgage loan, you can choose an interest rate from 1% to 4%.
You can’t claim for loss/damage to:
- Models, patterns, designs, drawings, plans, and moulds
- Documents, business accounts books, and records in your computer system
- Any other content that was kept outside the boundaries of your HDB flat
You can’t claim for loss/damage caused by:
- Landslide and settlement of soil unless caused by an earthquake or volcano
- Pressure waves
- Aircraft or any other such thing going at sonic or supersonic speeds
HDB Fire Insurance
Check out the things that are not covered under this policy:
- Any claim/loss that involves Asbestos or any injury/damage resulting from exposure Asbestos
- Any loss or damage caused by any act of terrorism
Under this policy, you can’t claim the benefits when:
- The insured committed or attempted suicide within one year from the date of issue of the policy;
- The illness is related to HIV infection acquired from sources other than blood transfusion and workplace;
- The total and permanent disability occurs due to self-harm or attempted suicide, an act of terrorism, drug abuse, participation in aviation or other dangerous games/sports like horse racing, mountaineering, and more;
- Pre-existing conditions within the first year, starting from the date when policy was issued. In such cases, Etiqa will return the premium you have paid already without any interest, minus expenses related to issuing the policy.
Etiqa Home Insurance Eligibility
You must be a HDB homeowner or tenant looking to complement your HDB Fire Insurance.
HDB Fire Insurance
You must be either the owner of the HDB flat or a part of the family staying in the flat.
Etiqa Claim Process
To claim benefits under this policy, you will have to fill in the Claims Form and submit it. You might also need to submit supporting documents depending on the type of claim. These supporting documents could include receipt of items that you have lost, estimated repair costs, and photos of the damages reported, and the police report (if applicable).
HDB Fire Insurance
For claiming benefits under this policy, you will have to contact Chan Ping Siew at +65 9695 1338 or Quah Ker Leng at +65 8218 8521. Based on the type of your claim, you will also have to provide some supporting documents.
Etiqa Policy Cancellation
ePROTECT home remains valid for 12 months and can be renewed every year. However, if you wish to cancel it, you can do so at any time by submitting a written request. Accordingly, Etiqa will adjust your premium after retaining the customary minimum premium of S$60.50. If you have lodged a claim under the policy, there will be no refund.
HDB Fire Insurance
You can cancel it at any point of time. Once it’s terminated, you can ask for refund of the premium amount for the unexpired term. Make sure that the notice of cancellation is never given by Lessee/Mortgagor. The insurer will not accept such a notice without first informing you.
You can terminate the ePROTECT mortgage policy by simply writing to Etiqa.
Etiqa Home Insurance Contact
Etiqa Insurance Pte. Ltd. can be contacted on the hotline +65 6702 2662. Other contact details are:
HDB Fire Insurance Helpdesk
- HDB Hub, Counters 01 & 02, Sales Office, Atrium 1st storey, 480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh, Singapore 310480
- Tel: +65 6331 9253
HDB Basic Fire Claims
- Tel: +65 9695 1338 (Chan Ping Siew)
- Tel: +65 8218 8521 (Quah Ker Leng)
Compare AIA Home Insurance With Other Insurance Companies Offering Home Insurance in Singapore
- AVIVA Home Insurance
- HSBC Home Insurance
- Tenet Home Insurance
- AXA Home Insurance
- AIG Home Insurance
- MSIG Home Insurance
- NTUC Enhanced Home Insurance
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can I buy ePROTECT home or HDB Fire Insurance policy?
A. There are three ways you can buy these policies:
- Buy online through the Etiqa website.
- Visit HDB Hub Counter — HDB Hub, Counters 01 & 02, Sales Office, Atrium 1st storey, 480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh, Singapore 310480.
- Visit Etiqa Customer Care — 16 Raffles Quay, Hong Leong Building, #01-04A, Singapore 048581.
Q. What counts as renovation under ePROTECT home?
A. Any improvements and additions that you make to your home as fixtures and fittings. It can include kitchen cabinets, lighting installation, mirrors, flooring, built-in wardrobes, and more.
Q. What happens to my ePROTECT home package if I move my house before the policy expires?
A. If you are moving to another HDB flat, you will need to inform Etiqa about your new address through an email. Etiqa will update your policy with the new address. However, if you are moving into a non-HDB flat, you will have to contact Etiqa and get your policy changed, since ePROTECT home covers only HDB flats.
Q. When should I buy an ePROTECT home policy?
A. You can buy this it when you have moved into a HDB flat and when your existing home contents plan has expired.
Q. When should I buy HDB Fire Insurance scheme?
A. If you are a new/resale flat owner, you will have to buy it before getting the keys of the home, unless otherwise advised by the HDB. If you are a renewal flat owner, you can buy this policy after receiving your renewal notice from HDB.