UOB Krishflyer Debit Card Reviews
If you’re a frequent flyer, the KrisFlyer Debit Card is ideal UOB Debit Card for you. For every single dollar spent on your card and the money saved in the corresponding savings account, you stand a chance to earn up to 5.4 KrisFlyer miles. You need to spend a minimum of S$500 on your debit card or its equivalent in foreign currency in a calendar month to earn base and bonus miles.
Your obtained miles will be calculated based on every S$5 of the monthly aggregate of your qualified transactions. The miles you earn at the end of a calendar month will be credited automatically to your membership account maintained with Singapore Airlines.
Features & Benefits
The benefits and features available on the card are as follows:
- You can redeem your miles to get seat and class upgrades on Singapore Airlines (SIA) and SilkAir flights.
- You’ll have to maintain a deposit of S$3,000 in the corresponding posb savings account to earn bonus miles, subject to a maximum of 5% of the monthly average savings balance in your KrisFlyer account.
- You can earn 0.4 KrisFlyer miles for every dollar you spend with this UOB card. You can also earn up to 5 bonus points on deposits above S$350,000 in the corresponding savings account. Effectively, you can earn up to 5.4 miles on this card every month.
- If you’re the principal cardholder, you’ll get exclusive benefits on booking Scoot flights with your KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card through the specific page on Scoot’s website dedicated to the card. The benefits are:
- Priority check-in for you and members of your travelling party.
- Complimentary standard seat selection for you.
- Complimentary 5 kg luggage upgrade for you and members of your team when you have purchased up to 35 kg of baggage fare bundle.
- A convenience fee waiver for you on spending a minimum of S$250 in a single transaction, subject to certain conditions.
- You’ll have access to over 1,200 ATMs in Singapore. You’ll also have access to ATMs around the world connected through Mastercard’s network.
- You’ll be charged no service fee on your cash withdrawals made via ATMs in Malaysia, Thailand or Indonesia.
- You can make foreign transactions using KrisFlyer UOB Might FX to get the best rates of the day on both online shopping and overseas spends.
- Harmonised with the NETS payment network, your card can be used to conveniently pay at over 14,000 touchpoints.
- You can make easy payments with your Mastercard Contactless-enabled debit card or with Apple Pay/UOB Mighty Pay integrated with your mobile device.
- You can use your card to earn a maximum of 10% SMART$ rebate at more than 900 participating outlets throughout Singapore. There is no minimum spend criterion on the rebates.
Some of the current promotions available for cardholders are as follows:
Sign-up gift: If you apply for this card between 15 January 2018 and 28 February 2018, spend a minimum of S$500 within a single calendar month with your card, till 31 March 2018 and also maintain a minimum monthly average deposit of S$5,000 in the associated savings account, you’ll qualify for a chance to fly to Phuket (return ticket) with SilkAir. However, only the first 500 eligible applicants will be considered for the offer. If you have failed to maintain the eligible deposit in your KrisFlyer savings account during the promotion period, you can still be eligible for 1,000 Krisflyer miles.
More miles: Till 30 April 2018, you’ll earn base miles on all transactions made with your card and bonus miles on deposits in the corresponding savings account, subject to a minimum threshold amount and on spending a minimum S$500 with your card.
Grab: Use the promocode ‘KFUOB’ and save S$10 on your Grab taxi rides to the airport or back up to 31 December 2018.
Expedia: Get a maximum of 50% discount on hotel stays and a maximum of 10% discount on world stays on bookings made through the dedicated UOB page on Expedia’s website for Singapore customers. The booking period is effective till 31 March 2019 and the stay period is effective till 30 June 2019.
Travelodge Hotels Asia: Get a 15% discount for booking hotels in Asia through the brand website of Travelodge Hotels Asia. The booking period is valid till 31 March 2018 and the stay period is valid till 31 March 2018, too. The offer is not valid on hotel bookings in Australia and New Zealand.
Fees and Charges
||S$53.50 (waived for first year)
||S$2 a month (if monthly average deposit falls below S$1,000)
||S$10 (first 2 books free)
||S$30 if closing within 6 months of opening
To be eligible for opening the KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card and Account, you must be:
- Aged at least 18 years
- A Singaporean national, PR or foreigner with valid documents
- In a position to make a minimum deposit of S$1,000 to operationalise the account
There is no minimum income criteria.
How to Apply for KrisFlyer UOB Debit Card
No separate application needs to be made for the debit card in question. However, to open an account, you’ll have to do one of the following:
- If you’re a Singaporean national or PR and you have another account with the bank, you can use internet banking facilities offered by the bank to open your account.
- If you’re a Singaporean national or PR who is opening an account with UOB for the first time, you can use MyInfo, a digital service offered by the government, to open an account without the hassle of uploading your documents.
- If you’re a foreigner, you’ll have to visit a branch nearest to you to complete the documentation. You can check the bank website to locate the bank branches.
List of Other Debit Cards by UOB
The following are some of the other debit cards offered by the bank:
- UOB Debit Card
- UOB Delight Debit Card
- UOB Direct Visa Debit Card
- UOB Lady’s Debit Card
Q. Is the complimentary standard seat selection benefit available to all members of the travelling party?
A. This benefit strictly applies to the principal cardholder alone when flight booking is made through the dedicated page of the SIA website.
Q. Can the miles earned be converted to cash or used as a means to gain discharge from a liability?
A. You can’t convert your KrisFlyer miles to cash or use it to make payments or take care of other fiduciary obligations.
Q. Where can I check the miles that I earn?
A. You can find your accumulated miles in the account statement issued at the end of each month.
Q. How is the monthly average balance calculated?
A. This question can be better answered with the help of a representative example. Say, you had an account balance of S$100,000 between 1 January 2018 and 15 January 2018. You maintained a balance of S$200,000 between 16th and 31st of the month. The number of days in the month is 31. Hence, your average balance is approximately S$151612.9 (100,000x15+200,000x16)/31.
Q: Can I earn KrisFlyer miles on all my card transactions?
A: Not all your card transactions will be eligible for KrisFlyer miles promotions. Certain instalment payments, funds transfers, payment of fees/interests, late payment fees, annual fee charges, transactions related to gambling and certain other transactions are excluded. You can check the bank website to know more.