DBS provides a debit card in association with UnionPay to help people who often travel from Singapore to China access their money easily. The debit card will allow all cardholders to withdraw funds from DBS ATMs located in China. The card is named DBS UnionPay Platinum Debit Card, and it provides this service is free of any extra charges. Besides, this card combines an array of features and privileges. Furthermore, you earn cashback on all your local, overseas, and online spends.
Features & Benefits
The primary features and benefits provided on this card include:
- This card provides a waiver of ATM fee, when you withdraw cash overseas. Generally, other cards charge you an amount for ATM withdrawals when you’re abroad (usually S$5). But, with this card, you need not worry about this fee.
- With this debit card, you can earn 1% cashback on all your online and overseas spend. To qualify for this benefit, a minimum spend of S$1,000 must be charged to your card on a quarterly basis. For local spends, you will earn 0.3% cashback.
- Cardholders can benefit from the extensive network of merchants and ATMs throughout the world. You can use this card at more than 35 million merchants, and over 2 million ATMs.
- This card comes with the option for contactless payment. You must however, use the UnionPay QuickPass feature. This feature can only be used for transactions which amount to S$100 and below. Besides, you don’t have to put any signature. All you have to do is hold this card on a contactless reader.
- You can also use the FlashPay feature to pay for buses/MRT/LRT and taxi rides with this card, given that this card has FlashPay acceptance. To make use of this feature, you must tap and pay with this card for the rides. This card can also be used for paying ERP gantries, using this feature.
- With this card, you can access special offers from different merchants worldwide. This is part of the UnionPay Global Privileges programme. It includes benefits such as free hotel upgrades, besides other offers for recreation and dining. This card also provides you with discount when you shop or dine at airports. There are over 100 airports listed worldwide which provide up to 10% discount on these expenses.
- The card also has the 24-hour UnionPay Concierge feature. This feature has been included to assist you with your dining, shopping, medical, and travel plans. You can contact the Concierge hotline to access this service.
The current promotion running on DBS UnionPay Platinum Debit Card states that you can earn a cashback of 10% in the first month of applying and spending using the card. The offer is valid for both local and overseas transactions. The cap for the cashback promotion stands at S$20 for each customer every month, and it will be deposited into your primary or savings account.
The amount will be credited at the end of the two subsequent months after card approval. This promotional offer shall stay valid until 31 December 2018. However, customers who have cancelled this card within the previous 6 months, and before the date of the promotion announcement shall not qualify for this promotion.
Fees and charges
There are primarily three important fees charged on your DBS UnionPay Platinum Debit Card. These charges are listed in the table below:
|Type of fee||Fee details|
|Retail transaction in foreign currency||
|Overseas cash withdrawal at ATMs||
There are three primary criteria in terms of eligibility for this debit card, which are listed as follows:
- You must at least be 16 years of age to be eligible.
- You must have one of the four savings account to qualify - DBS Savings Plus Account, DBS Autosave Account, DBS Current Account, and POSB Savings account.
- Your application signature must be correct and should match the old records, signed previously with the bank.
How to Apply for DBS UnionPay Debit Card
You can apply for this debit card online, by visiting the bank’s website. You can either use your iBanking login credentials or by using your card and the PIN to submit an online application.
Alternately, you can always reach the bank by calling at the hotline number to apply for this debit card.
List of Other Debit Cards by DBS Bank
The other debit cards provided by the bank include:
- PAssion POSB Debit Card
- DBS Visa Debit Card
- DBS Takashimaya Debit Card
- DBS NUSSU Debit Card
- SAFRA DBS Debit Card
Q. Can UnionPay QuickPass feature be used to make contactless payment for car parking?
A. Yes, select car parks will allow you to pay using contactless payment feature.
Q. What is the number of acceptance points where you can use the contactless payment feature?
A. The contactless payment feature can be used at over 87,000 acceptance points.
Q. What is the waiver amount for overseas ATM withdrawals using this debit card?
A. The card comes with a waiver of S$5 on ATM withdrawals.
Q. Is there a cap on the 1% cashback earned on online and overseas spend?
A. The cashback is capped at S$100 for each customer, every quarter.
Q. What is the maximum liability imposed on unauthorised transactions?
A. The maximum liability is S$100 for unauthorised transactions, provided it is proven that said transactions were not made on account of your negligence.
Q. Which merchants currently do not accept payments via the NETS payment function?
A. The following merchants currently don’t allow the use of NETS payment feature:
- Big Box
- Cold Storage
- NTUC Unity
- Resort World Sentosa
- BC bargain centre
- Bee Cheng Hiang
- CK Tangs
- Gardens by the Bay
- Jurong Bird Park
- QQ House,
- Singapore Pools
- Singapore Zoo
- Selected outlets of Watson’s
Q. How can I reach the UnionPay Concierge service?
A. You can reach the UnionPay Concierge service by calling the hotline at +65 6336 4506.