Singapore has a lot of entertainment options, whether you are looking to spend an evening at a pub with your friends, go catch a movie with your family, or treat yourself at a spa. While there is no shortage of options, they don’t necessarily come cheap. One way to make your day of entertainment a little cheaper and a whole lot more fun is to get a credit card that gives you rewards and benefits when you use it to pay for your entertainment spends. Entertainment credit cards in Singapore give you discounts, rewards points, and cashback, special access to exclusive events, and one-for-one offers at pubs and restaurants. You won’t have to spend through the roof when you go out and have fun anymore. Use your card to save money while having fun.
|Card name||Best for|
|HSBC’s Revolution Credit Card||Rewards points|
|OCBC FRANK Credit Card||Entertainment rebates|
|DBS Live Fresh Card||Cashback on entertainment spends|
|UOB YOLO Credit Card||Entertainment rebates|
|UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card||Reward points on entertainment|
|Maybank FC Barcelona Visa Signature Card||TREATS Points and FC Barcelona offers|
|Maybank Manchester United Platinum Visa Card||TREATS Points and Manchester United offers|
|Maybank World Mastercard||Discounts on entertainment|
|American Express Platinum Credit Card||Savings on entertainment|
|HSBC Visa Infinite Credit Card||Discounts on spa services|
|DBS Woman’s Card||Reward points|
|UOB Lady’s Solitaire Card||Reward points|
|Maybank Family & Friends Card||Cash rebates|
|UOB One Card||Cash rebate|
|HSBC Advance Credit Card||Cashback|
|American Express True Cashback||Cashback|
|Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card||Cashback|
|Card name||Annual fee||Earning rate||Minimum spend requirement (per month)|
|HSBC’s Revolution Credit Card||S$160.50||5x Rewards on entertainment shopping||None|
|HSBC Visa Infinite Credit Card||S$650||Up to 10x rewards points at select merchants||None|
|OCBC FRANK Credit Card||S$80||Up to 8% rebate on entertainment||S$400 spent in offline transactions|
|DBS Live Fresh Card||S$128.40||Up to 5% cashback on contactless payments Regular promotions on entertainment-related spends||S$600|
|DBS Woman’s Card||S$160.50||Up to 20% on selected attractions and spas at Sentosa, valid till 31 December 2018||None|
|UOB YOLO Credit Card||S$192.60||Up to 8% rebate on entertainment||S$600|
|UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card||S$192.60||Discounted rates on spa services and 10% rebate on City Tours||None|
|UOB Lady’s Solitaire Card||S$588||A complimentary glass of champagne and 10% rebate on City Tours||None|
|UOB One Card||S$192.60||Up to 5% cash rebate on all spend||S$2,000|
|Maybank FC Barcelona Visa Signature Card||S$120||1.6% unlimited cashback on all local spend||None|
|Maybank Manchester United Platinum Visa Card||S$80||10 TREATS Points for every dollar spent at Manchester United Store||None|
|Maybank World Mastercard||S$240||Discounts at Universal Studios Singapore, KidZania, LEGOLAND, and Singapore Dance Theatre||None|
|Maybank Family & Friends Card||S$180||8% cash rebate at all theme parks in Malaysia and LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort||S$1,000|
|American Express Platinum Credit Card||S$321||Up to 40% on spa services, access to golf course, complimentary drinks at select pubs||None|
|American Express True Cashback||S$171.20||1.5% cashback on all eligible purchases||None|
|Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card||S$192.60||1.5% cashback on all spend||None|
Enjoy 5 Rewards points or 2 miles for each S$1 spent on entertainment, dining and online spends. No minimum spend required to earn the reward points.Card Highlights:
- Get 5x Reward points when you spend at bars, pubs, clubs, and family KTVs.
- Receive reward points when you pay online for concert tickets.
- The reward points can be exchanged for KrisFlyer Miles and Asia Miles.
The UOB Preferred Platinum Visa Card offers UNI$ on certain entertainment spends that you charge to it. The maximum amount of UNI$ you can accumulate every month is 2,000.Card Highlights:
- Get 10 UNI$ or 4 miles on your entertainment expenses.
- Enjoy 10% SMART$ rebate on City Tours.
- Receive a discount of 10% on spa service at HARNN Heritage Spa.
Get a chance to win a trip for 2 people every season to go and watch FC Barcelona play live at their home ground, Camp Nou. Each S$50 spent on local transactions and in foreign currencies will give you 5 and 10 chances, respectively.Card Highlights:
- Get 1.6% cashback on all local transactions with no cap or minimum spend requirement.
- Redeem your TREATS Points to purchase a one-day pass at S.E.A. Aquarium.
- Enjoy a one-day pass to Universal Studios Singapore.
This card, in collaboration with the English football club, Manchester United gives you 10 TREATS Points for each S$1 you spend at Manchester United’s United Direct Online Megastore.Card Highlights:
- Get TREATS Points on all your purchases made at the United Direct Online Megastore.
- Redeem your TREATS Points to purchase a one-day pass at Adventure Cove Waterpark.
- Enjoy a one-day pass to Trick Eye Museum.
Enjoy up to 5x DBS Points or 10 miles for every S$5 spent on transactions made online. Exchange these points for KrisFlyer Miles, Asia Miles, and AirAsia.Card Highlights:
- Get 1 DBS Point or 2 miles for every S$5 spent on all other categories.
- Receive up to 20% off on spas at Sentosa.
- Enjoy a discount of 20% at selected attractions.
Enjoy 10 UNI$ per S$5 spent on luxury brands. Also, get special access to events under the VIP Mastercard Priceless programme.Card Highlights:
- Enjoy a free bottle of wine when you dine in China, Hong Kong or Singapore.
- Receive a complimentary entry to The China Club Singapore.
- Get a glass of champagne at selected restaurants across the world.
Receive 2 points on shopping, travel, and dining with every S$1.60 spent. The points can be redeemed for Asia Miles, Emirates Skywards, and KrisFlyer Miles.Card Highlights:
- Enjoy up to 40% discount on spa service at The Ultimate and Adeva Spa.
- Receive complimentary cocktails when you visit Chillax.
- Get a free glass of house whiskey at The Auld Alliance.
The Maybank World Mastercard is one card that can get you offers on golfing when you travel overseas. Get complimentary green fees at all participating golf clubs.Card Highlights:
- Enjoy 10% on entry tickets at KidZania.
- Get a discount of up to 30% on admission tickets at LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort parks.
- Up to 20% off on tickets for Singapore Dance Theatre.
The HSBC Visa Infinite Credit Card offers infinite access to more than 700 airport lounges across the world. You can receive 35,000 air miles as a welcome gift when you apply.Card Highlights:
- Enjoy 40% off on spa treatments worth S$125 or more at ESPA at Resorts World Sentosa.
- Get up to 30% off on green fees at participating golf clubs.
- Receive up to S$500,000 golfers’ insurance.
Receive special deals on dining, entertainment, lifestyle, and travel. Also, enjoy 0.3% cashback on all other spends.Card Highlights:
- Enjoy 1 for 1 beer or house drinks at Redtail.
- Receive 4 glasses of house drinks at Phuture.
- Get a minimum of 10% off when you buy at least 2 glasses of loose drinks and house pour bottles.
The bank gives you a cash credit of up to S$250 when you sign up for the card. You can use the cash credit to pay for your entertainment expenses such as parties and drinks.Card Highlights:
- Get rebates of up to 8% on your entertainment expenses during the weekend.
- On weekdays, you can get a rebate of 3% when you use it to pay for your entertainment expenses.
- Get a maximum rebate of 12% all through the week if you spend at least S$600 within the first 3 months of card approval.
The credit card offers 5% to 8% cash rebate on groceries, fast food delivery, and petrol in Malaysia and Singapore. All other eligible spends will earn you 0.3% cash rebate.Card Highlights:
- Get cash rebates throughout the year of up to 8% on your entertainment expenses if you spend S$1,000 per month.
- Spend S$500 each month, you will enjoy 5% cash rebates on entertainment.
- The leisure and attractions include LEGOLAND water parks and all other theme parks in Malaysia.
Get up to 5% rebate on all purchases when you spend at least S$2,000 per month for 3 months and make a minimum of 5 transactions for the same 3 consecutive months.Card Highlights:
- With S$500 or S$1,000 spend and 5 transactions for 3 consecutive months, earn up to 3.33% on your entertainment expenses.
- The 5% rebate is capped at S$300 for a quarter.
- Get 10% SMART$ rebate on City Tours.
Get 6% rebate on online shopping, from clothes and gadgets to hotels and flights. Get 0.3% rebate on all other transactions.Card Highlights:
- Up to 5% when you use the card to pay for purchases at bars, clubs, KTVs, and certain cafes, from Friday to Sunday.
- Receive 3% rebate on your entertainment expenses, from Monday to Thursday.
- Rebate is capped at S$60 per month for at least S$400 offline spend.
Disclaimer: All the “best” cards detailed here are only recommendations. These cards are recommended without any preference to or prejudice against any particular brand.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Entertainment Cards?
Choosing the right card is an important step. This will help you make the most of the offers and features that the entertainment card gives. The best way to choose a card that’s right for you is to analyse your spending patterns. Make a list of your usual expenses and see which categories they fall under. If you spend more on spa treatments than on other entertainment options, choose a card that gives you better offers and rewards at spas. If you love going to pubs and bars frequently, choose a card that gives you rewards in this regard. This will help you maximise your benefits based on your expenditure.
Use More Than One Card if Necessary
Different entertainment credit cards offer different rewards. If you feel you can benefit from more than one card, apply for another one that suits your needs well. However, do keep in mind that most credit cards charge an annual fee. You may end up paying a lot in terms of annual fees if you aren’t careful. Many banks offer a waiver on their annual fees (at least for the first year) as a promotional offer or if you fulfil certain conditions. Look for these types of cards. If they match the rewards you’re looking for, you can benefit from them.
Weigh the Costs and Benefits
This is something you should do before applying for an entertainment credit card. Do an analysis of the costs you will incur when applying for the card and compare it with the benefits that it offers. If you apply for a card, pay the annual fee, and end up not using it, you are in-effect spending money unnecessarily. Don’t apply for a card simply because its rewards and offers appear attractive. Make sure you get more benefits than the cost you’re incurring.
Opt for Interest-Free Payment Plans Only if You Can Afford the Payments
Most banks offer 0% Instalment Payment Plans (IPP) on their credit cards. These appear to be really enticing, but they actually are not. Don’t fall for the no-interest claims. Ask your bank for the Effective Interest Rates (EIR) that apply to these IPPs. EIR shows you the true cost of the “interest-free” plan the bank gives you. Once you know the EIR and how much you have to repay every month, check your monthly budget and see if you can afford these repayments. Don’t choose to pay using the IPP option if you can’t afford the monthly instalments. Remember that a single late repayment or inability to repay credit card dues will adversely affect your credit rating.
Keep an Eye out for Promotional Offers
Offers on credit cards keep changing from time to time. Banks offer promotional offers for brief periods. You can make use of these promotions to get additional discounts and other rewards such as rebates over the existing rewards (if any) that your card offers. Before using your card, check with the bank for the latest offers it provides in the country.
Shop With Participating Merchants for Better Rewards
Almost all credit cards partner with selected merchants from time to time to offer specific offers to their customers. These offers give you better rewards than the usual ones that the bank gives on all standard purchases. For example, certain cards have tie-ups with specific brands of fuel. Purchasing petrol from such fuel stations will get you much higher discounts when compared to other fuel stations. This applies to all other categories such as online shopping, dining, movies, and travel. Keep an eye out for such merchants and purchase from them to make the most of the benefits from your entertainment card.
Why Should You Use Entertainment Cards?
As the name suggests, people who prefer to spend their money on entertainment should get such a card. Entertainment includes sports, golf, clubs, pubs and bars, events/concerts, amusement parks, KTVs and others.
How Does It Work in Singapore?
With most entertainment cards, you will earn miles, rewards points, or cashback on all your entertainment purchases. For example, with the UOB YOLO Credit Card, you will get a cash rebate of up to 8% on entertainment spending both in Singapore and overseas. However, to get this cash rebate you will have to make a minimum purchase of worth S$600.
On the other hand, with the HSBC’s Revolution Card, you will get 5 Rewards Points per dollar spent on all entertainment transactions such as family KTVs, bars, pubs, and clubs, without any minimum spend or points cap. Most of these rewards points will have an expiry date and so you must redeem these points before they expire.
Also, note that these cards offer discounts and cashback on more than just entertainment spending. For example, the HSBC Visa Infinite Credit Card offers a lot more on dining and travel as well.
Think Through it Before Applying
Here is a list of things that you must consider before getting an entertainment card:
- Know how much you can spend each month on entertainment and abstain from spending anything more than your credit limit.
- If you travel often, get an entertainment card that offers air miles that you can collect over time to redeem later to get air tickets.
- Be careful about withdrawing cash using your credit card as the interest rate charged will be very high and you will only go deeper into debt.
- Get a clear understanding of the numerous terms and conditions linked to the card and the minimum purchase amount to become eligible for rewards.
- Make sure that your annual fee and interest charges are not negating the savings you make through an entertainment card. There is no point if you are spending too much to earn rewards or cashback but are unable to pay the annual fee or full monthly bill on time.
- Choose the right credit card based on whether you need a rewards card or a cashback card.
- If you are opting for an entertainment card, find out the other transactions on which the card offers rewards points or rebates.
- Remember that you will have to pay a heavy interest rate on the outstanding amounts if you don’t pay your card dues on time.
- Identify those entertainment options on which you spend frequently and use your card to make the most out of such expenditure.
- Apply for the card only after you make sure you fulfil the eligibility criteria set by the card. Your credit score will come down if your application gets rejected.