The DBS Esso MasterCard gives you the exclusive opportunity to earn excellent fuel savings at Esso stations when you use your credit card for shopping, dining and other purchases. Earn Smiles points with your card for every SGD you spend and save on fuel across Singapore. Let us take a look at the benefits, fee details, features and other aspects of the DBS Esso MasterCard.
DBS Esso Card Review
The DBS Esso Card is the only credit card in Singapore that is co-branded with a petrol station and allows you to save on your fuel costs. Additionally, every time you spend using the DBS Esso Card, you earn Smiles Points – the loyalty programme of Esso – which allows you to convert the points into fuel purchases. You get 1 Smiles point for every S$10 that you spend on non-Esso purchases. This means free fuel several times a year!
You are automatically enrolled into Esso’s Smiles Driver Rewards system when you get the DBS Esso Card. Every time you buy Synergy fuel from an Esso station, you get 1 Smiles Point. You can exchange Smiles points for fuel at the rate of petrol worth S$10 for 300 points or petrol worth S$30 for 750 points. In addition, the card gives you a total of 17% discount when you buy petrol from Esso stations across Singapore. The discount is divided in this way –
- 5% Esso rebate
- 5% Smiles membership rebate
- 7% DBS rebate
The card also gives you driving perks. You can convert your Motor Insurance and Road Tax payments made through the credit card into zero-interest instalment payment plan. This is a perfect petrol credit card for high fuel-consuming Singaporeans.
DBS Esso Mastercard Promotion
Given below is a list of DBS Esso Mastercard promotions:
- Cardholders can get a cashback of S$60 on the card when they spend a minimum of S$200 on fuel per month at Esso stations in Singapore for 2 consecutive months after the card approval.
- Make purchases at any Esso station across the island and get 14% instant savings on fuel purchase and smile points that are equivalent to 2.5% in fuel savings. The card rewards 1 smile point for every litre of Synergy fuel purchased at any Esso station across the island. The cardholder can get a S$10 fuel redemption for 300 smile points and a redemption of S$300 for 700 smile points.
- Dine at Capri by Fraser and enjoy a discount of 15% on the total bill when you pay with your DBS NUS Alumni MasterCard credit card. The offer is valid till December 31, 2017.
Fuel savings: Applying for the DBS Esso card will fetch the cardholder up to S$120 in fuel savings. The savings are awarded in the form of Smile points. Cardholders who have applied for the card and have had it approved by 31 October 2017 are eligible for this promotion. Cardholders are also required to meet a minimum spend criteria of S$200 per month for 3 consecutive months on fuel charges at Esso from the date of card approval. Cardholders who charge S$200 a month for 2 consecutive months from date of card approval can get fuel savings worth S$90 in the form of smile points. Cardholders who charge S$200 a month for 1 month from date of card approval can get fuel savings worth S$60 in the form of smile points.
Cruise1st: DBS cardholders can get an additional 3% discount when they use their card for bookings on Cruise1st. Cardholders can get the discount only on cruises with a two-passenger. The discount is not applicable for Fly-Cruise package and does not include any taxes or gratuities. The offer is valid until 31 December 2017.
Amore Fitness: DBS cardholders who are new customers to Amore Fitness can get a discount of 50% worth S$160.50 when they sign up for a 6-month membership. They also enjoy a 5% discount on fitness packages. New and existing Amore Fitness members can get a complimentary body composition analysis worth S$21.40 and a complimentary 30-minute Stress Release back Massage worth S$62.06. The offer is valid until 31 December 2017 and is limited to one redemption per sign up.
Upon approval of your card application, enjoy additional savings of up to S$90 at Esso stations besides the 17% fuel savings that can be earned through purchases made using your credit card.
Features of the DBs Esso MasterCard
- The annual fees for the first year on your Esso card is waived.
- The DBS Esso card gives you the opportunity to earn reward points on your purchases.
- The card allows you to make convenient payments through instalments on expensive purchases.
- With every S$5 you spend on purchases using your card, earn 1 DBS point.
- You can redeem these points for wide ranging offers from dining discounts to travel privileges and savings on fuel at Esso stations.
- Besides DBS points earned on purchases, earn 1 Smiles point for every S$2 you spend using your card.
- Enjoy instant redemptions of S$30 on fuel purchases when you earn 750 Smiles Points.
Credit score grade of AA? What are you waiting for?? Apply for a credit card already!Apply Now
Benefits of the DBS Esso MasterCard
- The DBS Esso MasterCard can be used to make cash withdrawals from ATMs.
- The card enables you to make convenient contactless payments for amounts less than S$100 through MasterCard PayPass.
- The DBS Esso Card allows for instalment payment plans for customers wishing to conveniently pay their motor insurance and road tax.
- The card lets you earn additional savings (over the 17% that can be earned) of up to 2.5% on fuel purchases through the Esso Loyalty Program.
Instalment payment plans
The card allows for flexible instalment options towards motor insurance and road tax payments. The offer is meant exclusively for customers with a DBS/POSB Current account or Savings account. The cash amounting to the motor insurance and road tax amount is credit to the account within 7 working days and can be repaid over a 12-month payment period.
Fee and charges
|Type of fee
|Supplementary card fee
|Late payment charges
||S$80 if the monthly outstanding is more than S$50
|Cash advance fee
||6% of the withdrawn amount
|Interest on cash advance
Transactions in foreign currencies
- Foreign currency transactions will be charged a currency conversion fee of 1% levied by the card association.
- An additional administrative fee of 1.5% is levied by the bank on the converted SGD amount.
- Foreign currencies are first converted to USD and then to SGD at existing interbank rates or exchange rates mandated by the government.
- The DBS Esso MasterCard can be sued to make cash withdrawals both at domestic and overseas ATMs.
- A cash advance handling fee of 6% of the amount withdrawn is charged by the bank. In addition to this, an interest rate of 28% p.a. is levied on cash advances.
- The interest charges that are levied on cash advances are subject to compounding until the amount is paid in full. Interest is charged on a daily basis (a minimum charge of S$2.50 is imposed) until the entire amount is repaid in full.
How to apply for the DBS Esso MasterCard
You can apply for the DBS Esso MasterCard by visiting the official DBS site and filling the online application form. You can also visit any DBS branch and apply for the card. Approval of the credit card application is completely contingent on satisfying the eligibility criteria.
Eligibility criteria for the DBS Esso MasterCard
- Minimum age: 21 years of age
- Minimum income:
- Singaporeans & permanent residents: S$30,000 p.a.
- Foreigners: S$45,000 p.a.
- Salaried individuals:
- Copy of NRIC, latest computerized payslip, CPF contribution history for the last 1 year.
- Self-employed individuals:
- Copy of NRIC, bank statements for the last 3 months, latest Notice of Income Tax Assessment.
- Individuals with varied income:
- Proof of income, Copy of NRIC, bank statements for the last 3 months, Notice of Income Tax Assessment.
- Copy of Passport, Employment letter obtained from employer, latest computerized payslip, Employment pass.
Customers are required to make a minimum monthly payment of 3% of the total monthly outstanding amount. Additionally, any overdue amounts from previous minimum payments and amounts exceeding credit limits are also charged under the minimum monthly payment for the given month. Late payment charges of S$80 are also accordingly applicable if payments are not made before the due date.
Lost/stolen card liability
The liability for lost/stolen cards is S$100. Liability is imposed by the bank if the bank observes gross negligence or fraud on the part of the customer and unauthorised transactions take place before the bank is notified about the loss/theft of the credit card.
Reporting lost/stolen credit cards
The bank can be contacted directly in case of lost/stolen credit cards. Customers can reach out to the bank by dialling the bank’s Customer Service Number and providing details about the card and recent transactions performed on the card. The bank will then block the card, thereby disallowing future transactions to take place.