Imagine you are stuck in a situation where you simply cannot use swipe your credit card and you don't have sufficient cash to meet the expenses with you. You are traveling to your hometown and in your car breaks down halfway. The garage nearby does not accept credit card and your savings account is all empty! What do you do in such situations?
Don’t worry! You can still be safe, provided you have a credit card that offers cash advance.
What is credit card cash advance?
Cash advance is usually considered as short term loans that can be taken against your credit card. You can get cash advance up to a particular limit. Unlike other short term loans, credit card cash advance does not involve any paper work and you get cash instantly.
How to get credit card cash advance.
These days almost all credit card providers come up with cash advance feature to help you meet your financial emergencies. You can easily opt for cash advance without having any savings available in your bank account. The only thing you need is a credit card.
How do you get cash advance with your credit card? Well, it’s very simple! You can use any of the following means to withdraw cash immediately:
- ATM: You can visit any ATM in your locality that displays the logo of your credit card and withdraw cash by using your credit card and PIN.
- Visiting Bank: You can visit your nearest branch and withdraw cash by showing your credit card.
- Internet Banking: You can log in to credit card internet banking account and transfer cash to your any other bank account
- Calling customer care: In case, you forget your credit card PIN or the above mentioned options are not available, you can call the customer service department of your credit card provider. The customer care representatives will help you get cash advance.
Check the following:
- Check your account statement and ensure that you haven’t reached your borrowing limit.
- Check whether you credit card provide permission to withdraw cash. You credit card company needs to authorize you to withdraw cash using your credit card.
- Check if you have the right PIN number with you before you attempt to withdraw cash.
- In case, the PIN is not handy with or you want to reset it, get in touch with your bank.
General terms and conditions:
While opting for credit card cash advance, it’s important you are aware of the terms and conditions involved in Credit Card Cash Advance. Listed below are some of them:
- Credit card providers determine your maximum withdrawal limit based on your total credit limit.
- There is no minimum cash withdrawal limit.
- Maximum withdrawal limit may varies from bank to bank.
- A transaction fee is charged for each cash advance transaction which may differ from bank to bank.
- Interest rate charged on credit card cash advance is higher than interest rate charged on other short term loans or credit card purchases.
Top 5 Banks offering Credit Card Cash Advance in Singapore
Listed below are some of the popular banks in Singapore that offer cash advance credit cards. Credit card holders of the following banks can get access to instant cash by using their credit cards:
- OCBC: With OCBC Bank, you can withdraw cash by using your OCBC credit card PIN in any OCBC ATM, visiting any branch of OCBC and using the bank’s “Dial –A- Cash” facility. The bank charges a cash advance interest of 28.92% per year and a cash advance fee of S$15 or 6% of the amount withdrawn, whichever is higher.
- DBS: You can withdraw instant cash from DBS provide you have a DBS Credit Card. Cash withdrawal can be done by using DBS ATMs and iBanking, visiting any branch of the bank and over the phone. There is no minimum cash advance withdrawal amount with DBS. The maximum withdrawal amount from an ATM is S$3,000 per day. DBS charges a transaction fee of 6 % or S$15, whichever is greater. The effective rate charged by the bank is 28%.
- UOB: UOB Credit Cards enable you to withdraw cash via ATM, Personal Internet Banking and Over the Counter. The maximum cash withdrawal limit from an UOB ATM is S$3,000 in a single day. The bank charges a cash advance fee of 6% of the transaction amount or S$15, whichever is greater. Interest on the cash advance amount is charged on daily basis. UOB offers up to 75% of the credit limit as cash advance.
- Citibank: With your Citibank Credit Card and PIN, you can withdraw cash at nearly from the Citibank ATMs located at various parts. You can also withdraw cash by visiting any branch of Citibank. The bank offers up to 100% of your credit limit as cash advance.
- HSBC: HSBC Bank Credit Cards also offer the provision for instant cash withdrawal via credit cards. You can use your HSBC Credit Card to withdraw cash at HSBC ATMs by using your credit card PIN. The bank also allows you to withdraw cash via phone banking.
Although interest rate charged in credit card cash advance is usually higher, credit card cash advance facility can be of great use when you are in need of urgent cash and you don’t know where to borrow; when you have no other option to meet your urgent financial needs.