Have you ever experienced a flight delay? If yes, have you sat in an airport for long hours amidst the chaos? Or have you spent 10 hours in an airport abroad, during a layover, watching everyone else run to catch their flights? Such situations would’ve made you wish you could afford a lounge and get some sleep. Airport lounges usually come at steep prices and would add to your travel expenditure.
However, many banks offer credit cards with complimentary lounge access passes that are valid both in Singapore and overseas. Why not make use of this opportunity when you are getting it for free? It will give you some quiet time to read a book or watch a movie. Some lounges also provide complimentary snacks and drinks. More importantly, when you are in transit and are jet-lagged, a lounge pass will come in handy.Here is a list of such credit cards giving you airport lounge access privileges and other goodies.
The HSBC Visa Infinite Credit Card provides exceptional benefits, the Priority Pass Membership card being one of them. It provides unlimited access to lounges everywhere—worth S$558—for free. You and your supplementary cardholder(s) will be issued the membership card 14 days after your credit card is approved. In case you are accompanied by guests, they can access the lounge at a fee of S$38 per visit per person. If you are considering this card for regular travelling purposes, you can also benefit from the 35,000 air miles that you will receive as a welcome gift. You also get to enjoy complimentary travel insurance coverage up to US$2 million.
- Enjoy the comfort of more than 1,000 lounges across the globe for free.
- You don’t have to make advance reservations. Simply show your card and walk in.
- Experience faster immigration clearance and limo transfers.
The Citi PremierMiles Visa Card offers its members 2 free entries into airport lounges in a year. Citi Basic cardholders get Priority Pass Membership with this credit card. If you are accompanied by a guest, it will be counted as one visit. After this, you can access the lounge at US$27 per person per visit. It suits those who take long vacations once or twice a year.
- Free access to the internet, phones, fax machines, and conference rooms.
- Access to over 1,200 airport lounges.
- Complimentary 30,000 Citi Miles when you apply.
The American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card provides its customers with 4 free access every year to SATS Premier Lounge within the country and Plaza Premium Lounges around the world. It applies to SATS lounges that are participating in the programme at the time of travel. This card is also ideal for those who take 2-4 trips per year. Also, if you spend S$15,000 within one year, you will be upgraded as a KrisFlyer Elite Gold member.
- One complimentary stay at a Hilton Hotel every year.
- Access to Gold Lounge at Changi Airport and over 900 Star Alliance Lounges.
- Additional baggage allowance; priority check-in and boarding.
Purchase the DBS Altitude Visa Signature Card and secure 2 free visits to airport lounges worldwide in a year. DBS does not obligate you to follow the calendar year. The 12-month cycle can start from the day of your membership. This way you don’t miss out on free access if you receive the Complimentary Priority Pass late in the year. You will get the pass 2-3 weeks after your application is received by the organisation. Additional visits will cost US$27 each time.
- Receive up to S$1 million travel insurance.
- The annual fee is waived for one year.
- Get 10,000 free miles.
The UOB JCB Card gives you a complimentary JCB Platinum card, which gives you free access to airport lounges in Asia. While you have free access in some countries, you will have a cap on the number of lounge visits in other countries. You are allowed 2 visits to lounges in Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong, and Thailand in a calendar year. The card covers access to 57 airports in East Asia. Those who visit Japan and China regularly will benefit the most from the JCB card.
- Unlimited access to lounges in Japan, China, and Hawaii.
- 20% discount on Airport Limousine Bus tickets.
- First supplementary card free.
The Maybank Horizon Visa Signature Card lets you access 3 Plaza Premium Lounges in Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore; and one Ambassador Transit Lounge in Singapore. You will be eligible for the access when you spend S$1,000 on your card in one transaction on retail items, 3 months before your date of travel. The cardholder can freely access shower rooms, food, beverages, and internet services in the aforementioned lounges. If you have a guest with you, they get 10% off on massages, beauty services and fitness centre entry. The card also allows you to withdraw cash from ATMs worldwide. If you haven’t spent S$1,000 on the card, you can still enter the lounge by paying S$44.94.
- 20% discount on entry for accompanying guests.
- Free entry for every eligible retail spend made.
- Annual fee is waived for 3 years.
With BOC Visa Infinite Card, you get 2 complimentary entries to any Plaza Premium Lounges in the world, provided they are participating at the time of your travel. In the lounge, you will be able to make use of their warm showers and take a nap in the quietude. A visit to the spa for a massage can be an addition to your time in transit. You can also treat yourself to a variety of dishes. Internet workstations, free Wi-Fi, and comfortable seating will make your layover seem smooth.
- Lifestyle concierge is available 24x7.
- Complimentary travel insurance with coverage of up to S$1 million.
- Annual fee is waived for the first year.
The OCBC Voyage Card currently offers unlimited free access to lounges all over the globe. The lounges provide food, drinks, showers, Wi-Fi, and comfortable baggage handling. Selected branches that have a spa also offer complimentary seated massages of 15 minutes for the travellers. Massages will be charged S$26 for every subsequent 15 minutes. The offer is currently valid until 31 December 2018.
- Complimentary access to over 80 VIP Lounges.
- One free spa treatment for guests as well.
- Each visit can last up to 3 hours.
ICBC and DragonPass are collaborating to provide customers with free VIP lounge visits at airports globally. The offer is valid on the ICBC Global Travel MasterCard till 31 December 2018. To get access, select ‘Overseas ICBC Credit Card Zone’ on the DragonPass website and complete your verification process. Entry to accompanying guests (above 2 years of age), will be considered as one visit. The same card can be used to gain entry to VIP lounges in high-speed railway stations 12 times free of cost. This is useful when you take both flights and trains regularly. Each visit can last up to 2 hours and beyond that, every two hours will be considered as subsequent visits.
- 6 visits to VIP airport lounges are complimentary.
- Instant access through a simple online procedure.
- 3-year annual fee waiver.
How to Choose an Efficient Card?
The thought of unlimited access is definitely attractive. However, not all cards offer it. You usually get limited entries per year. Here are a few ways by which you can narrow down on a card.
Citi PremierMiles Visa Card and BOC Visa Infinite Card allow 2 free visits to lounges, which is ideal during a long vacation. Choosing a card that gives you unlimited free access to lounges, such as the HSBC Visa Infinite Credit Card, if your profession involves you travelling multiple times in a month.
Charges for Accompanying Guests
Majority of the credit cards provide complimentary passes to primary and supplementary cardholders only. Some credit cards allow you to bring a guest along for free as well. For some other cards, guests are charged a fee for every visit. The Maybank Horizon Visa Signature Card gives a discount on the entry fees for guests.
You will be allowed to access common amenities like free internet, sofas and charging stations. However, you may have to pay extra for showers and day beds. You can go for it if you have a long wait. Some lounges have a cap on the number of hours a free visit can last. With an OCBC Voyage Card, you can spend 3 hours per visit. The facilities provided to basic and platinum members may also differ.
|Credit Card||Annual Fee of Credit Card||Complimentary Lounge Access|
|HSBC Visa Infinite Card||S$650 S$488 (For Premier customers)||Unlimited|
|Citi PremierMiles Visa Card||S$192.60||2 times a year|
|American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Card||S$337.05||4 times a year|
|DBS Altitude Visa Signature||S$192.60 (Waived for 1 year)||2 times a year|
|UOB JCB Card||S$64.20 (Waived for 1 year)||Unlimited in Japan, China, Hawaii 2 times a year in Singapore, HK, Korea, and Thailand|
|MayBank Horizon Visa Signature Card||S$180 (Waived for 3 years)||1 entry for S$1,000 spend|
|BOC Visa Infinite Card||S$350 (Waived for 1 year)||2 times a year|
|OCBC Voyage Card||S$488||2 times a year|
|ICBC Global Travel Mastercard||S$150 (Waived for 3 years)||6 visits a year|
Now you know how to not be bored and tired in transit, have a peaceful time and pamper yourself in a busy airport. Travel more using the benefits from the cards listed above and make your vacation comfortable.
Advantages of having an Airport Lounge Access Card
If you travel frequently for work or if you like going on the occasional getaway, a credit card with complimentary access to airport lounges will be useful to you. Here are some advantages of investing in such a card.
- You will be away from the bustle of the waiting areas, with a soothing ambience and private resting spaces.
- You can continue to work uninterrupted with free Wi-Fi and charging stations.
- In case of longer layovers, you can spend time in the spa, have drinks and snacks, and make use of their entertainment services depending on which services the lounges allow you to use.
- You will have access to more than 1,200 luxurious lounges, all over the world.
- You can make use of services like copiers, printers, and showers.
- You can also be done with your immigration quicker.
- By purchasing the card, you earn up to 35,000 miles that can be used to get discounts on future flight tickets.
- You will also receive travel insurance up to S$2 million for no extra cost.
Some Things to Remember
- Lounges follow stern rules when it comes to letting you in for free. Let’s look at some of the requirements that have been put in place for a member to acquire a complimentary pass.
- Registration and membership card: When you purchase certain cards, you will directly receive a membership to programmes such as Priority Pass within a short period of time. But for other cards, you will need to visit the lounge website and register yourself, such as the VIP lounge access.
- Minimum spend: Some cards give you 2-4 complimentary visits with every spend of a prescribed minimum amount, for example, S$1,000, on the Maybank Horizon Visa Signature Card.
- Documents to produce: You will generally have to show your physical copy of the membership card at the entrance. Only a few lounges allow entry via a digital copy. You will also need to produce a boarding pass where the date of travel should be the same day or the next day.