Citi SMRT Credit Card Review
Citibank has several cashback cards, and the Citi SMRT Credit Card is definitely a good card to have in your wallet when you’re a moderate spender.
The cashbacks aren’t any less attractive either. You get 7.3% cash rebate at FairPrice Xtra Kallang Wave, 5% cashback on grocery purchases from FairPrice, Giant and Sheng Siong, 5% on fast food outlets, cinema theatres and cafes, and 3% on online shopping. You have to spend at least S$50 in a transaction to get the 5% cashback, though. For purchases lower than S$50, you’ll get only 3% cash rebate. All other transactions made through the card will earn you 0.3% cashback. The cashback is credited in the form of SMRT$ and can be used for vouchers or SMRT rides as well, making the Citi SMRT a multipurpose co-branded card.
You can link this card to your EZ-Link and use it for your transport needs. If you do an auto top-up for EZ-Reload, you will not be charged any convenience fee. The card also has the Visa contactless payment system – payWave – which you can use for payments below S$100. Of course, you’re welcome to all Citibank privileges such as Citi Rebates at selected stores, Citibank Gourmet Pleasures for dining offers, as well as curated shopping, petrol, travel and online shopping promotions.
Citibank SMRT Card Promotions
- Cardmembers who are existing Lazada customers get 8% off across the site on using the promo code “CITIWONDER”. New customers get 12% off using the promo code “CITINEW17”. The maximum discount that can be won is S$15. Offer is valid till 30 June, 2017.
- Cardmembers can get discount of S$50 at AirBnb using the coupon code 'CITISG' on a single eligible booking of a minimum value of S$250. Offer valid from 1 September, 2016 to 30 September, 2017.
- Those cardmembers who are existing Foodpanda customers can get 10% off on spending a minimum of S$35, using the promo code “C10XXXXXX” (The ‘X’s being the first 6 digits of Citibank SMRT Card number). Cardmembers who are new to Foodpanda get 25% off on orders with minimum spending of S$35, using promo code “CITINEWXXXXXX”. Promotion is valid till 31 December, 17.
- Cardmembers who are new Shopee customers get S$7 off on a minimum of transaction $15 each time. Promo Code to be used is “ITINEW7”. Those cardmembers who are existing Shopee customers get 10% off, subject to a maximum of S$5 per transaction. Promo code to be used here is “CITITEN5”. The promo is valid from 19 September, 2016 to 18 September, 2017.
- Cardmembers can get 10% off Flex or Flex Plus fares on booking flights on Emirates, using the promo code “SGCITI1”. They can also get 5% off saver fares using the same promo code. The offer is valid for business class and economy class fares only. Booking period is till 31 December, 2017 and travel period is till 31 March, 2018.
- Cardmembers can get 10% off, plus free shipping at Yoox.com using the promo code “CITI10”. Valid till 31 July, 2017.
- Cardmembers can get 10% off sitewide at Zilingo using the promo code “CITIXXXXXX” (The ‘X’s being the first 6 digits of Citibank SMRT Card number). Promotion period is from 1 January, 2017 to 31 December, 2017.
- Cardmembers who are new Chope Shop customers get 10% off top restaurants at The Chope Shop when buying Chope Vouchers using Citibank SMRT Card. The promo code applicable here is “XXXXXXCHOPECITINEW”. Existing Chope Shop customers get an additional 5% discount. The offer is valid till 31 December, 2017.
The Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card
Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card is one among the many credit cards offered by Citibank. It is a cashback credit card that offers discounts and cashback on everyday spends. The card is a must for those who commute on SMRT everyday. This credit card also serves as a E-Z link credit card.
Citibank Singapore has some amazing offers for new customers who apply for Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card. Listed below are some of the joining perks offered on the card:
- The card offers a cashback of $120 for new applicants. The applicant has to spend $200 on the card every month to avail the cashback which is awarded in denominations of $20. The offer is valid till 31st of December 2016.
- Every applicant who applies for the card can enjoy 7 free grab rides once their application is approved (within 30 days). The offer is valid till 14th November 2016.
Features of Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card
Listed below are the features of Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card:
- It is a cashback card.
- Offers rebates on spends on coffee, groceries, books and more.
- Can be used as a E-Z link card to top up your E-Z link value.
- Serves as a public transport card.
- Offers supplementary cards for loved ones.
- Available to Singaporeans and Foreigners.
- First two years annual fee is waived.
- Visa payWave for purchases under $100 on the card.
- Hassle free application process.
- Quick processing.
- Easy and simple documentation.
- Offers joining perks in the form of cashback and free grab rides.
The card comes with attractive rewards that you can redeem for amazing benefits and offers. Given below are the rewards of Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card in different categories:
- The card offers a 7% rebate when you shop for groceries which consists of 5% SMRT$ rebate and 2% Citi rebate.
- Avail 15% rebate on coffee purchases out of which 5% is SMRT$ rebate and 10% is Citi rebate.
- Earn 5% SMRT$ rebate when you shop for toys.
- Avail 5% SMRT$ rebate for Citibank One Bill for selected Town Councils.
- Earn 2% SMRT$ rebate when you spend on Health & Beauty products/services.
A maximum of 280 SMRT$ can be accumulated in a span of 12 months. One can redeem SMRT$1 for $1 worth of vouchers in various categories such as Grocery, Retail, Family entertainment and Rides. Listed below are some of the instances where you can redeem your voucher:
- Redeem Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa voucher worth $10 at SMRT service centre or SMRT taxis.
- Redeem voucher worth $20 at CD Rama and POPULAR outlets.
- Redeem a voucher worth $10 at Giant outlets.
Benefits of Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card
Listed below are the benefits of Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card:
- Earn $SMRT and Citi rebates that can be later redeemed for vouchers in the grocery, retail, family entertainment and ride categories.
- The credit card can be used as a E-Z link card for your commute.
- The card qualifies for Visa payWave for purchases under $100.
- The card also qualifies for Citibank general privileges.
- First two years annual fee waiver.
Fee and charges
|Type of fee
||S$160.50 per annum for primary credit card
|Supplementary card fee
||S$85.60 per annum for supplementary card
||2.34% per month 28% per annum
|Late payment charges
|Cash advance fee
||S$15 or 6% of the amount withdrawn
|Card replacement fee
Transactions in foreign currencies
Card transactions (including online and overseas transactions) effected in US dollars will be converted into Singapore dollars. Card transactions effected in foreign currencies other than US dollars will be converted to US dollars before being converted into Singapore dollars. The conversion will take place on the date on which the transaction is received and recorded by the bank. The currency conversion will be based on the prevailing foreign exchange rate or an exchange rate determined by VISA.
How to apply for Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card
One can apply for Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card either online or offline. In order to apply online, the applicant can either visit the official website of Citibank Singapore and apply or apply through third party financial websites if the provision is made. In order to apply for the card offline, the applicant can visit one of the Citibank branches in Singapore and fill the form.
Eligibility criteria for Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card
- Minimum age: 21 years age
- Minimum income:
- Singaporeans & permanent residents:S$30,000
Every applicant needs to submit certain documents while applying for the credit card. Listed below are the documents that need to be submitted at the time of application:
- Passport copy
- Latest original payslip
- Last 12 months of CPF statement
Self employed individuals
- Passport copy
- 6 months latest bank statement
- Last 12 months of CPF statement
- Passport copy
- A copy of work permit
- A copy of telephone bill or utility bill
- Income Tax Notice of Assessment
- Latest payslip
Card protection schemes
Citibank offers cardholders with three options in order to protect their card:
- Alerts- Every time a transaction is made on your card, receive an SMS alert stating the details of the transaction.
- OTP- In order to protect your card when shopping online, Citibank requires the cardholder to enter a one time password to authorise the transaction.
- EMV Chip- Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card has the EMV chip that adds extra protection to your credit card.
Interest on Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card
Currently interest rate of 26% to 29% is being charged on Citibank SMRT Platinum Visa credit card. The interest rate may vary from time to time and it is advisable to contact the bank to avail the current rate of interest.
- Minimum amount- The minimum amount that the cardholder needs to pay is computed by taking 1% of current balance in addition with 1% of outstanding unbilled payment amount along with applicable interest charges.
Read More Related to Credit Cards: