American Express has always been known to be a lender that offers a lot of value through its cards. To incentivise your card usage, the bank actively offers cashback, air miles, reward points, and other benefits on your qualifying card spends. The bank offers cashback at an accelerated rate when you sign up for a card and meet the minimum spend criterion, offers air miles that can be used to enjoy various lifestyle and travel benefits at partner airlines and more. With certain co-branded American Express Cards, you can also earn special rewards points or miles when you use your card for in-store or online transactions with the partner merchant. Points earned can be redeemed for discounts, air miles with a partner airline, and gift vouchers among other things. You may also use a portion of your accumulated rewards points to downsize your monthly card bills.
Types of Card Rewards Offered by American Express
American Express offers the following types of rewards on its cards:
- Cashback programme: The bank runs a cashback programme for owners of the True Cashback Card. While the normal cashback earning rate on the card is 1.5%, you can earn at a higher rate of 3% if you sign up for the card and spend a minimum of S$5,000 within the first six months. There is no minimum spend requirement or cap on cashback. You can use the cashback earned for offsetting your future card bills.
Reward points: You can earn rewards points on eligible spends on your rewards cards. These points can be redeemed for gift cards, discounts, or air miles at more than 40 partner airlines. The specific rewards programmes are as follows:
- Membership Rewards Programme: Generally you’ll earn 2 Membership Rewards point for every S$1.60 you spend on your card. However, you may earn at an accelerated rate on certain cards. You can also earn additional reward points when you shop at EXTRA partner outlets. You may also choose up to 5 places you visit most from over 150 partner stores and earn 50% additional points when you charge at least S$5,000 to your card on transactions made at these places. You may also earn bonus points in other ways. Your points won’t ever expire. Redeem them whenever you want.
- Frequent Flyer Programme: You may convert your points to air miles of a partner airline, provided you’re a member of such a programme.
- Frequent Guest Programme: You may convert your earned Membership Rewards Points into loyalty points of the partner hotel brands such as Hilton and Starwood Preferred Guest, provided you have an account with the partner.
- KrisFlyer Programme: With cards such as the American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card, the American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card, the American Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card, and the American Express Singapore Airlines PPS Club Credit Card, you can earn KrisFlyer miles on qualifying spends. The miles earned would be credited to your KrisFlyer account at the end of each month automatically. You may also earn bonus KrisFlyer miles on the first two approved supplementary cards and as welcome gift.
- STAR$ Programme: With the American Express CapitaCard, you can earn 3x STAR$ voucher rebates for every S$1 you spend. You can also earn 10x STAR$ rebates or STAR$50 at 65 select outlets across participating CapitaLand Malls for every S$1 spent. This is in addition to the regular earn rate of 3x STAR$ rebates per S$1.
Cashback Programme of American Express
The bank offers cashback on the following card:
|Card Name||Cashback Earned||Cashback Earned|
|American Express True Cashback Card||1.5% on eligible purchases. No minimum spend criterion.||3% on eligible purchases within 6 months of joining if you spend S$5,000.|
Cash Rebate Programme of American Express
The bank offers STAR$ rebates on the following card:
|Card Name||Cash Rebate Earned||Cash Rebate Earned||Cash Rebate Earned||Cash Rebate Earned|
|American Express CapitaCard||3x STAR$ rebates or STAR$15 for every S$1 spent on grocery at supermarkets.||3x STAR$ rebates or STAR$15 for every S$1 when you spend at participating CapitaLand Malls.||Additional 10x STAR$ rebates for every S$1 when you spend at 65 outlets inside CapitaLand Mall.||1x STAR$ rebates or STAR$5 for every S$1 you spend at other places.|
Other terms and conditions to earn cash rebates on the American Express CapitaCard:
- 3x STAR$ (STAR$15) rebates at grocery supermarkets: Such supermarkets include Cold Storage, FairPrice Finest, Market Place, Isetan Supermarket, FairPrice Supermarket (valid till 31 December 2018). A monthly cash rebate is applicable.
- 3x STAR$ (STAR$15) rebates at CapitaLand Malls: STAR$5 will be credited to your account at the time of purchase, the remaining STAR$10 rebates will be credited in blocks of S$1 on a cumulative monthly basis. You can earn up to S$1,200 in STAR$ rebates at participating CapitaLand shops.
- Additional 10x STAR$ rebates: Earn up to STAR$50 in addition to the STAR$15 rebates you earn in general, at these STAR$Xtra partner merchants. The STAR$ rebates earned will be credited to your account on a cumulative basis at the end of the programme run by a STAR$Xtra partner.
How to Redeem Cash Rebates?
The STAR$ rebates you earn can be redeemed for CapitaVouchers in the following denominations:
- 5,000 STAR$ rebates for S$5 CapitaVoucher
- 10,000 STAR$ rebates for S$10 CapitaVoucher
- 50,000 STAR$ rebates for S$50 CapitaVoucher
You can use your CapitaVoucher collection to offset your purchases at CapitaLand Mall outlets.
STAR$ rebates are always rounded up to the next whole number or rounded down to the previous whole number depending on whether the fraction is greater than, equal to or less than 0.5 STAR$ rebates.
Rewards Points Programme of American Express
You can earn Membership Rewards (MR) points on different cards at the following rates:
|Card Name||Rewards Points Earned||Rewards Points Earned|
|American Express Platinum Credit Card||2 MR points for every S$1.60 you spend on the card.||10 MR points for every S$1.60 when you charge your spends at Platinum EXTRA partners to this card.|
|American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card||2 MR points for every S$1.60 you charge to the card.||10 MR points for every S$1.60 when you charge your spends at Platinum EXTRA partner outlets.|
|American Express Rewards Card||1 MR point for every S$1 you spend on this card.||Choose 5 favourite stores or restaurants that you visit and get 50% bonus points on the first S$5,000 you charge to your card at these places.|
|American Express Personal Card (Charge Card)||2 MR points for every S$1.60 you spend at partner merchants.||Enrol for the Non-Frequent Traveller Option or the Frequent Traveller Option to redeem your points for dining, hotel, shopping, and on flights.|
|American Express Platinum Card (Charge Card)||2 MR points for every S$1.60 spent on eligible purchases, charged to the principal and/or supplementary cards under the Double Points Programme.||20 MR points for every S$1.60 you spend.|
Other terms and conditions associated with American Express These Cards:
- MR points: Your MR points never expire.
- American Express Platinum Card (Charge Card): 20 MR points earned at Platinum EXTRA partners is offered on a maximum spend of S$16,000. On all spends beyond S$16,000, you’ll continue to earn 10 MR points per S$1.60.
- Points accrual: Pay S$10 to enrol for the Non-Frequent Traveller Option that lets you redeem your accumulated rewards points for shopping and dining rewards. Pay S$40 to enrol for the Frequent Traveller Option that lets you redeem your points for dining, hotel, shopping, and on flights. This is not applicable to the American Express Rewards Card.
How to Redeem Membership Rewards Points?
- Redeem your MR points for more than 200 rewards, ranging from shopping to dining, from the online rewards redemption catalogue.
- You can redeem your points for gift vouchers/gift cards online for free. Once you have chosen the gift you want to redeem against the equivalent number of points in your account, a gift card will be sent to the address mentioned by you at the time of checkout.
- Alternatively, you may also pay 800 MR points per call, to redeem your points for a reward of your choice by calling the customer service helpline. The reward certificate will have to be presented at the point of redemption.
- Usually, the certificate will be delivered to your chosen address within 14 days. The certificate will be valid for six months. Check the certificate for other important details.
- Use your cards to offset a portion of your card bill. Log into your online account, choose the transactions/charges you would like to pay for, depending on the availability of MR points on your account and confirm it. The charge will be offset in the form of a credit to your card account within 3 days.
- You may also convert your points to loyalty programmes of partner airlines such as British Airways, Dynasty Flyer, Emirates Skywards, and Singapore KrisFlyer among others. Points can be converted in blocks of 450 points only. Up to 1 month may be needed for the transfer. 450 MR points is equal to 250 miles under the corresponding airlines loyalty programme.
- Choose the number of points you want to redeem for air miles and also choose the partner airline you want to redeem the points for. Confirm the request to complete the redemption. You’ll have to add the frequent flyer account and fill in the details to which you want to convert your points. Your redemption request would be honoured only after the partner airline has confirmed your membership account.
- If you’re not already a member of a particular frequent flyer programme, you’ll first have to sign up for it on the website of the partner airline before the redemption request can be processed.
- An administrative fee of S$40 will usually be levied for conversion of points to miles on cards that offer Membership Rewards (MR) points. However, you’ll enjoy a permanent waiver of this fee on the American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card.
- You may also convert your MR points into loyalty points under partner frequent guest programmes, which can then be used to enjoy hospitality benefits at top hotels. The two available options are Hilton Honors and Starwood Preferred Guest programmes.
- 1,000 MR points are equal to 1,250 Hilton Honors points. The points can be redeemed in blocks of 1,000 only. The estimated time for transfer is 3 weeks. You can use these points to enjoy hospitality benefits at 4,800 hotels and resorts across the world. Refer to the online rewards catalogue to find out the names of the hotels and resorts tied up with this programme.
- 100 MR points are equal to 33 Starpoints. The points can be redeemed in blocks of 100 only. You need a minimum of 1,000 MR points for making a request for redemption under this programme. Up to 3 weeks may be needed for processing and converting your MR points into equivalent Starpoints.
Miles Programme of American Express
American Express Singapore is the official brand partner of Singapore Airlines. It offers 4 co-branded KrisFlyer credit cards. With these cards, the KrisFlyer miles, earned by you, will be directly credited to your KrisFlyer membership account. You won’t have to redeem rewards points or pay any registration fee. The rewards on these cards will be in the form of miles.
The bank offers KrisFlyer miles as rewards on the following cards:
|Card Name||Miles Earned||Miles Earned||Miles Earned||Miles Earned|
|American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card||2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on purchases on the official Singapore Airlines website, their mobile app, the SIlkAir website, and the KrisShop in-flight and ecommerce sites.||3.1 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 you spend on Grab cab rides.||2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on transactions in foreign currencies in June and December.||1.1 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 you spend on other eligible purchases made using using your card.|
|American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Credit Card||2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 you spend on Singapore Airlines app/website, SilkAir website and KrisShop (website/in-flight).||3.2 KrisFlyer miles per dollar spent on Grab rides.||2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on transactions in foreign currencies in June and December.||1.2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 you spend on other eligible purchases made using using your card.|
|American Express Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Credit Card||1.3 KrisFlyer miles per dollar spent locally, up to S$3,800 per month. If your local spend exceeds S$3,800 in a month, you’ll get 1.5 miles per dollar.||1.3 KrisFlyer miles for every dollar equivalent you spend in foreign currency abroad on eligible purchases, on cumulative spends of S$3,800 and 2.4 miles for a cumulative spend of above S$3,800.||2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 you spend on Singapore Airlines app/website, SilkAir website and KrisShop (website/in-flight).||3.3 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 you spend on Grab rides.|
|American Express Singapore Airlines PPS Club Credit Card||1.3 KrisFlyer miles for every dollar you spend locally, up to S$3,800 per month. For spends in the category beyond this, you’ll get 1.4 miles per dollar.||1.3 KrisFlyer miles for every dollar equivalent you spend in foreign currency abroad on eligible purchases, on cumulative spends of S$3,800 and 2 miles for a cumulative spend of above S$3,800.||2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 you spend on eligible purchases on Singapore Airlines app and website, SilkAir website and KrisShop – website and in-flight.||3.3 KrisFlyer miles for every dollar you spend on the rides you take with Grab.|
Other terms and conditions associated with the American Express Singapore Airlines Cards:
- KrisFlyer miles on Grab rides: Earn KrisFlyer miles on Grab rides are offered on monthly spends of up to S$200 on these rides.
- KrisFlyer miles on Singapore Airlines app/website, SilkAir website and KrisShop (website/in-flight): There is no cap on the miles that you can earn.
- Awarding KrisFlyer miles: Miles will be offered in blocks of S$10, on an aggregate basis at the end of each calendar month (on eligible cards).
- KrisFlyer miles on local and foreign currency spends: Accelerated miles earned through local and foreign spends (on spends of S$3,800 and above on eligible cards) can’t be combined for calculation purposes.
Other Ways to Earn Rewards
To reward you for your loyalty, American Express also lets you earn rewards in other manners. Some of the most prominent ones have been discussed below:
- Welcome bonus: When you sign up for a particular American Express Card, the bank may reward you in the form of rewards points, miles, or cashback. This is usually a one-time offer. For some cards, you may have to fulfil a minimum spend criterion within a certain period to be eligible for the offer.
For example the PPS Club Credit Card offers 5,000 miles when you sign up for it and charge it for the first time. You can earn 2,000 KrisFlyer miles additionally if you apply for the card online before 30 September 2018.
On the same card, you may also earn 18,000 bonus miles when you sign up for the card and get approval on or before 30 September 2018 and charge S$6,000 to the card within the first 3 months of approval.
Similarly, you can get 24,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply for the Rewards Card and spend S$1,500 within the first three months of approval. If you spend S$5,000 on your Platinum Reserve Card within 6 months of card approval, you’ll get 50,000 MR points.
You’ll also get 100% bonus MR points on all spends charged to your Rewards Card within the first 3 months of card approval.
- Meeting a spend criterion for a calendar year: Sometimes, you’ll receive bonus points or miles if you charge a minimum amount to your card, within a calendar year, as specified by the bank. If you charge at least S$5,000 to your Rewards Card, you’ll get 50% points additionally on all spends.
- For making a referral: You may get bonus points or miles for referring a friend. Your friend will also get an equal number of rewards points. For example, if you’re already using the Platinum Card, and you refer it to a friend, both of you will get 6,000 MR points. You may refer up to 10 friends and earn up to 60,000 MR points from the process. This is equivalent to S$180 worth of Cold Storage vouchers. Refer to the bank’s website for related terms and conditions.
If you refer a friend for the CapitaCard, you can get 40,000 STAR$ rebates, equivalent to S$40 worth of CapitaVouchers. By referring 10 friends, you can earn up to 400,000 STAR$ rebates, equivalent to S$400 CapitaVouchers. These rebates will be credited to your CAPITASTAR account within 12 weeks of successful card approval of your friend. Your friend will receive his share of STAR$ rebates within 12 weeks after they have spent at least S$50 on their card within the first 3 months of card approval.
If you refer your friend for the KrisFlyer Credit Card, you and your friend will receive 3,000 KrisFlyer miles each on successful approval of his/her card application. Terms and conditions apply.
- For approved supplementary card(s): For some cards, American Express offers rewards points or miles when one or more supplementary cards have been approved. For example, if two supplementary KrisFlyer Credit Cards are approved, you’ll get 1,500 KrisFlyer miles each of the two cards.
- For bookings made with a partner merchant: If you book a ride or stay with a partner merchant for the first time or as the promotional offer may indicate, you may get bonus points or miles. For example, you’ll get 500 KrisFlyer miles if you pay for a Grab ride for the first time with your Solitaire PPS Card. You have to set this card as your default payment card for future payments on Grab rides.
Apart from the points, miles or cashback you can earn or American Express cards, you can also enjoy a lot of special privileges and perks that incentivise your card spends and help you stretch your dollars.