What is S Pass?
S Pass is a special visa designed for mid-level skilled foreigners in Singapore who seek employment in engineering, electronics, oil industry, etc. The Visa is specially designed for foreigners who have a special set of skills suitable for industries that Singapore specialises in.
Given below is a list of features of S Pass:
- Only local eligible employer or an authorised Visa agency can apply for the pass.
- The foreign candidate cannot be in Singapore when the Visa is being processed. They can come to Singapore only after the Visa is approved.
- Foreigners holding S pass in Singapore cannot start their own business in Singapore.
Credit Card for S Pass Holder Singapore
A common misconception is that S pass holders cannot get credit cards in Singapore. This is not true. Any S Pass holder can easily apply for a credit card in Singapore and get approved for the same, provided that they fulfill the eligibility criteria for that credit card. The eligibility criteria for an S Pass holder is much higher than the eligibility criteria for a Singaporean when it comes to credit cards. But S pass holders can still apply and get approved for credit cards in Singapore.
Features of S pass
Listed below are the features of credit cards for S pass holders in Singapore:
- The minimum income required for an S pass holder is much higher than the minimum income for a Singapore national.
- The S pass holder should submit a Tax Notice from IRAS when applying for the credit card.
- S pass holders should not have set up any business in Singapore in order to be eligible for a credit card.
Eligibility for S pass
Given below is the eligibility criteria for an S pass holder in Singapore:
- The applicant should possess a valid S pass.
- The applicant should submit a Tax notice from IRAS if demanded by the bank.
- The applicant should be earning a minimum income of S$45,000 per annum.
How to apply for a S Pass?
Given below are the steps to be followed in order to apply for an S pass in Singapore:
- Submit an application
- The local employer or the visa agency should get a written consent to apply for S Pass from the foreign candidate.
- Once they get the consent form, they should log in to EP Online to fill out the application form and upload the required documents.
- Pay a fee of $60 for each application. The payment can be made through GIRO, Visa/MasterCard or eNets Debit.
- One can check the status of the application after 7 working days. It may take longer if additional information is required.
- If the pass is approved, one can log in to EP Online and print the in-principle approval (IPA) letter.
- Get the pass
- One has to log in to EP online and submit the supporting documents.
- Provide an address (home or office) where the card will be delivered.
- Nominate up to 3 authorised recipients to receive the card, and provide their NRIC, FIN or Passport number, mobile numbers and email address.
- A fee of $80 should be paid for each pass issued. The payment can be made through GIRO, Visa, MasterCard or eNets Debit.
- The notification letter can be printed as soon as the pass is issued.
The notification letter has to be checked to ascertain whether the candidate needs to register for fingerprints and photographs. Candidates who are applying for the first time or candidates whose last registration was more than 5 years ago will need to register.
In order to get the fingerprint and photographs registered, the candidate has to get an appointment and visit MOM Services Centre- Hall C. The registration needs to be done within 1 week after the pass is issued.
The candidate should bring along these documents for the appointment:
- Original passport
- Appointment letter
- Notification letter
- The documents listed in the notification letter
The card will be sent to the candidate within 4 days of the registration.
Banks offering credit cards for s pass holders
Currently, DBS and POSB offer credit cards for S pass holders. The eligibility criteria for the credit cards is not that high and the documentation is quite minimal.