The Pioneer Generation Package was launched in 2014 by the Government of Singapore to help the citizens of Singapore who have contributed significantly in nation building to meet their retirement needs. This package has been designed as a series of social support and healthcare schemes to show appreciation towards senior citizens who were born before the 1950s and gained their citizenship before 1987. This package supports close to half million citizens over a two-decade period.
Benefits of the Package
The Pioneer Generation Package will cover the entire healthcare cost of all who are covered as part of this package. There are four major benefits of this package which are as follows:
- MediSave Top-ups
As part of MediSave Top-ups, citizens born between 1945 and 1949 will get S$200 annually, S$400 for citizens born between 1940 and 1944, S$600 for citizens born between 1935 and 1939 and S$800 for citizens born in 1934 or earlier. This amount will be given to citizens for life.
- Pioneer Generation Disability Assistance Scheme (PioneerDAS)
According to this scheme, if you are physically challenged and require permanent support in performing at least three basic Activities of Daily Living (walking, toileting, transferring, dressing, bathing and eating) will get a life-long assistance. This assistance will be in the form of S$100 cash each month that will cover your care expenses.
To apply for this scheme, you will have to fill up and submit all the relevant application forms such as Functional Assessment Report, Application Form for Schemes Administered by Agency for Integrated Care (AIC). Once you are done with all the paperwork, you will have to visit a clinic and perform a functional assessment test. This test is carried out to ascertain whether you really need help to do a minimum of three Activities of Daily Living.
However, you will not have to go through this test if you are bedridden permanently. A letter from your doctor is enough. The cost of this Functional Assessment test may vary.
- MediShield Life
MediShield is the general health insurance policy that covers all Singaporeans life-long. All eligible pioneers will have to pay lower premiums with MediShield Life when compared to MediShield. The MediShield Life premiums and the subsidies associated with them for you are as shown in the table given below:
Age Pioneer Subsidies Annual MediShield Premiums MediShield Life Premiums Annual Premiums Before Subsidies Annual Premiums with Pioneer Subsidies 81 & above 54% - 60% S$1,123 - S$1,190 `S$1,250 - S$1,530 S$566 - S$615 66-80 40% - 54% S$540 - S$865 S$815 - S$1,175 S$489 - S$537
If you are eligible, you will get yearly MediSave top-ups, ranging from S$200-S$800 based on your date of birth. You can use the top-ups to offset your premiums.
- Outpatient Care
As part of the outpatient care, you will get the following benefits:
- Extra 50% discount on subsidised services at Specialist Outpatient Clinics and polyclinics.
- S$1,200 in cash each year for people with moderate to severe practical disabilities under the Pioneer Generation Disability Assistance Scheme or (PioneerDAS).
- Extra 50% discount on subsidised medications at Specialist Outpatient Clinics and polyclinics.
- Subsidies at participating dental clinics and General Practitioners under the Community Health Assist Scheme (CHAS). You must bring your Pioneer Generation card when you visit a CHAS clinic.
National Healthcare Group Polyclinics and SingHealth Polyclinics are the eligible polyclinics. The eligible public hospitals are as follows:
- Tan Tock Seng Hospital
- Khoo Teck Puat Hospital
- Ng Teng Fong General Hospital
- KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Changi General Hospital
- Alexandra Hospital
- National University Hospital (Singapore)
- Singapore General Hospital
The eligible National Specialty Centres are as follows:
- Singapore National Eye Centre
- National Skin Centre (Singapore)
- National Neuroscience Institute of Singapore
- National Heart Centre of Singapore
- National Dental Centre of Singapore
- National Cancer Centre of Singapore
- Jurong Medical Centre
- Institute of Mental Health
Who Can Take Advantage of This Scheme?
The CPF Pioneer Generation Package is for all those who were born on or before 31 December 1949 and who became citizens on or before 31 December 1986.
How to Check Your Pioneer Status
If you are a pioneer and entitled to get the package, you may have gotten a notification letter. It is also very important for you to update your address on your NRIC so that you can be contacted to keep you apprised of your Pioneer status. You can also see if you are eligible by checking your name on the website or by calling the hotline number available on the website.
What Will My Pioneer Welcome Pack Contain?
The Pioneer Welcome Pack will contain the following items:
- Benefits booklet: This booklet contains the details of all the benefits that you will get in all the four major languages in Singapore (English, Tamil, Malay and Chinese).
- Fridge Magnets: There are four fridge magnets in the four main languages that show the growth and development witnessed by Singapore in the Central Business District over the years which has been accomplished through your sweat and toil.
- CHAS Clinic Directory: A complete list of the participating dental clinics and CHAS GP is included in this directory.
- Pioneer Generation Card: You will get the Pioneer Generation Card (together with your NRIC) which you will have to bring when you visit CHAS dental clinics and General Practitioners to get your special Pioneer benefits.
- List of 6 nearest CHAS Clinics: For your convenience, a personalised list of six CHAS clinics located close to your address is included in the welcome pack.
Q. How can I check my pioneer status?
A. You can check your pioneer status on the Pioneer Generation Package website by entering your NRIC and the code on the screen.
Q. Can I appeal for the Pioneer Generation Package?
A. Yes, you can appeal for the Pioneer Generation Package. However, your appeal will be considered only if you were born before 1 January 1950, but narrowly missed out on the citizenship cut-off date. There are other factors that the panel may take into consideration like whether you have been in Singapore since the time of independence or if you have contributed to the development of the society.
Q. Is there a need for me to sign up for the Pioneer Generation Package?
A. No, there is no need for you to sign up for the Pioneer Generation Package as letters have been sent to all the eligible members in June 2014.
Q. Does the Pioneer Generation Package cover dental expenses?
A. Yes, you will get subsidies for dental expenses at CHAS dental clinics that you can offset for dental services such as root canal treatment, crowning, dentures, and filling, among others.
Q. I was born before 31 December 1949, but I have not received the letter in June 2014. What am I supposed to do?
A. If you are entitled to get the Pioneer Generation Package but have not received the letter, you can call the Pioneer Generation hotline number and ask for the letter to be resent.