What is the purpose of the Pioneer Generation Package?
To honor and thank our pioneers for their dedicated services, the Government has introduced the Pioneer Generation Package which is expected to benefit approximately 450,000 Singaporeans.
What does the Pioneer Generation Package offer?
This package offers Pioneers of Singapore cover their healthcare expenses for the rest of their lives. The package typically provides benefits to Pioneers under the following areas:
- Outpatient Care.
- MediShield Life.
- Medisave Top-Ups.
- Pioneer Generation Disability Scheme.
The following healthcare benefits are offered:
- Pioneers will receive an additional subsidy of 50% on services at Specialist Outpatient Clinics and polyclinics.
- Polyclinics include the following:
- National Healthcare Group Polyclinics
- SingHealth Polyclinics
- Public Hospitals include the following:
- Singapore General Hospital
- National University Hospital (Singapore)
- Alexandra Hospital
- Changi General Hospital
- KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Ng Teng Fong General Hospital
- Khoo Teck Puat Hospital
- Tan Tock Seng Hospital
- National Specialty Centers include the following:
- Institute of Mental Health
- Jurong Medical Centre
- National Cancer Centre of Singapore
- National Dental Centre of Singapore
- National Heart Centre of Singapore
- National Neuroscience Institute of Singapore
- National Skin Centre (Singapore)
- Singapore National Eye Centre
- Polyclinics include the following:
- Pioneers will receive an additional subsidy of 50% on medications Specialist Outpatient Clinics and polyclinics.
- Under the CHAS or the Community Health Assist Scheme, Pioneers will receive subsidies at participating dental clinics and GP. Please carry your Pioneer Generation Card to receive subsidies at the CHAS clinics. Under this scheme the subsidies will be provided in the following manner:
- Common Illnesses – Maximum subsidy of S$28.50.
- Simple (single) and Complex (multiple) Chronic Conditions under CDMP: These refer to Hypertension, Diabetes, Stroke, Lipid Disorders, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Bipolar Disorder, Asthma, Major Depression, Dementia, Schizophrenia, Parkinson’s disease, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Osteoarthritis, Nephritis or Nephrosis and Anxiety.
- Simple Chronic Condition – Maximum subsidy of S$90 for each visit with a cap of S$360 for each year.
- Complex Chronic Conditions - – Maximum subsidy of S$135 for each visit with a cap of S$540 for each year.
- Select dental procedures/services – Between S$21 and S$266.50 for each procedure, depending on the procedure.
- Health Screening under HPB’s ISP – These include screening for diabetes, hypertension, cervical cancer, colorectal cancer and lipid disorders:
- Screening tests are free if you have an invitation letter from HPB.
- Doctor Consultation - Maximum subsidy of S$28.50 for each visit for up to twice in a year.
All Pioneers will receive special subsidies of 40% to 60% on MediShield Life premiums:
- If you were born in 1934 or before – Your premium will be completely covered.
- If you born between 1935 and 1939 and were previously completely insured under MediShield – You will need to only pay half the premium amount in comparison to MediShield.
All Pioneers under the Pioneer Generation Package will pay lesser for MediShield Life in comparison to MediShield.
Table 1: MediShield Premium Subsidies offered to Pioneers
|Age Next Birthday||Subsidies Offered under the Pioneer Generation Package||MediShield Premiums per annum||MediShield Life Premiums|
|Annual Premiums without Subsidies||Subsidies on Annual Premiums under the Pioneer Generation Package|
|Between 66 years and 80 years||40% to 54%||S$540 to S$865||S$815 to S$1,175||S$489 to S$537|
|81 years and above||54% to 60%||S$1,123 to S$1,190||S$1,250 to S$1,530||S$566 to S$615|
Note – Pioneers who have pre-existing conditions will have to pay 30% Additional Premium.
Under the Pioneer Generation Package, Pioneers will receive top-up amounts between S$200 and S$800 per year for the rest of their lives in their Medisave:
- If you were born between 1945 and 1949 - You will receive a top-up amount of S$200 per year.
- If you were born between 1940 and 1944 - You will receive a top-up amount of S$400 per year.
- If you were born between 1935 and 1939 - You will receive a top-up amount of S$600 per year.
- If you were born in 1934 or before – You will receive a top-up amount of S$800 per year.
Pioneer Generation Disability Assistance Scheme
Under the Pioneer Generation Disability Assistance Scheme, you will receive S$1,200 per year in cash if you have functional disabilities ranging from moderate to severe. You qualify for this scheme if you need permanent assistance with a minimum of 3 of the following Activities of Daily Living:
Qualifying for this scheme:
You qualify for this scheme if:
- You were born before the year 1950 AND
- You became a Singaporean Citizen before the year 1987.
Under this scheme you will also receive S$100 per month for the rest of your life for your care expenses.
Who is eligible for the Pioneer Generation Package?
- Singaporean Citizens who are alive and living in Singapore.
- Pioneers who are who were 16 years old and above in the year 1965, meaning:
- They were born on/before December 31, 1949.
- They turned 65 years old or above in the year 2014.
- They became Singapore Citizens before December 31, 1986.
How do you know if you are a Pioneer?
If you are Pioneer and eligible for the Pioneer Generation Package, you would have received a letter of notification in 2014. You must always keep the address on your NRIC updated so you can be reached regarding your Pioneer status.
You can also check your eligibility for this scheme by doing a self-check on the Pioneer Generation website or call their Hotline number which is also available on their website.
Singapore knows how to honor its Pioneers and by way of offering them health care benefits and additional subsidies, it is a true way of thanking them for their hard work and dedicated services.