ElderShield renders financial protection to you when you’re not in a position to carry out simple everyday tasks due to severe disability and require long-term care during your old age. For the purpose of this insurance, you will be considered as suffering from severe disability when you are not able to perform at least three of the following six activities:
- Washing: The capacity to take a shower or wash in the bath. This includes getting in and out of the bath/shower or washing through other means.
- Feeding: The capacity to eat after the food is cooked and made available to you.
- Toileting: The capacity to make use of the lavatory or take care of your bowel and bladder function by using safeguarding undergarments or surgical instruments, when applicable.
- Dressing: The capacity to slip into, remove, secure, and unzip all garments and, as applicable, artificial limbs, any braces, or any other medical or surgical appliance.
- Mobility: The capacity to commute indoors from one room to another on an even surface.
- Transferring: The capacity to move from the bed to an upright wheelchair or chair and vice versa.
Benefits of This Policy
- In case of severe disability, you’ll receive a cash payout on a monthly basis for a specific period, depending on the ElderShield plan you opt for.
- When you initiate your premium payments, your claims can be submitted at any age in case of severe disability. Even though your premium term ends when you turn 65 years old, you’ll be insured for life.
- You can pay your insurance premium by using either your own Medisave savings or your respective family members’ Medisave Account.
- Your insurance premium amount will be decided based on your age at the time of enrolment. It will not increase with your age.
- With ElderShield Supplements, you’ll qualify to receive additional benefits like a higher monthly payout, longer payout period, or a combination of both options.
- When you purchase ElderShield Supplements, you’ll be eligible for a higher insurance coverage for severe disability.
- ElderShield Supplement plans are offered by 3 private insurers mentioned below:
- Great Eastern Life
- In order to purchase a Supplement plan, you should be covered under an existing ElderShield insurance policy.
- An ElderShield Supplement plan and a basic ElderShield plan are standalone insurance policies. You can choose to buy these two kinds of plans from different insurers. You can make your claims separately from each of them, provided your claims meet the eligibility criteria.
- You can use your Medisave savings to pay your premium amount for your Supplement plan. This amount is capped at S$600 per insured person for each year.
Payouts Under ElderShield
ElderShield offers 2 schemes:
- ElderShield300 – Under this scheme, you will receive a monthly payout of S$300 for up to 5 years.
- ElderShield400 - Under this scheme, you will receive a monthly payout of S$400 for up to 6 years.
Note – If you joined ElderShield post September 2007, you will automatically get enrolled under the ElderShield 400 scheme.
All About ElderShield Premiums
The premium amount for your ElderShield policy will be determined depending on how old you were when you joined the insurance scheme. You’ll need to pay your premium until you’re 65 years old. Your premium amount will not increase with your age.
|Age of Entry||No. of Premium Payments||Premium payable annually till 65 years of age|
Note: Premiums listed above includes 7% GST.
|Age of Entry||Ten Year Premium||Subsidy Amount||Subsidised premiums||Subsidy period|
|56 years||S$394.76||S$519.42||S$139.00||S$182.00||S$255.76||S$337.42||1 year|
|57 years||S$404.11||S$531.89||S$142.00||S$187.00||S$262.11||S$344.89||2 years|
|58 years||S$415.53||S$545.39||S$146.00||S$191.00||S$269.53||S$354.39||3 years|
|59 years||S$425.92||S$559.93||S$150.00||S$196.00||S$275.92||S$363.93||4 years|
|60 years||S$438.39||S$574.47||S$154.00||S$202.00||S$284.39||S$372.47||5 years|
|61 years||S$449.82||S$590.06||S$158.00||S$207.00||S$291.82||S$383.06||6 years|
|62 years||S$463.32||S$607.72||S$163.00||S$213.00||S$300.32||S$394.72||7 years|
|63 years||S$477.86||S$625.38||S$168.00||S$219.00||S$309.86||S$406.38||8 years|
|64 years||S$492.40||S$644.08||S$173.00||S$226.00||S$319.40||S$418.08||9 years|
|65 years||S$509.03||S$664.86||S$179.00||S$233.00||S$330.03||S$431.86||10 years|
|66 years||S$525.65||S$685.63||S$184.00||S$240.00||S$341.65||S$445.63||10 years|
|67 years||S$544.35||S$709.53||S$191.00||S$249.00||S$353.35||S$460.53||10 years|
|68 years||S$564.08||S$735.50||S$198.00||S$258.00||S$366.08||S$477.50||10 years|
|69 years||S$584.86||S$762.50||S$205.00||S$267.00||S$379.86||S$495.50||10 years|
Note: Premiums listed above includes 7% GST.
How to Apply for ElderShield
You can get in touch with any of the 3 designated private insurers given below:
- The Great Eastern Assurance Company Limited
- Aviva Limited
- NTUC Income Insurance Co-operative Limited
How to Change Insurer
If you wish to change your insurer for this scheme, you need to fill the form available in your welcome package and submit it to your assigned insurer before your cover commences. Once you have mailed the completed form, you will receive your new policy documents from your chosen insurer approximately 1 to 2 weeks after submission.
If you want to change your insurer after your cover has already started, you must first terminate your existing policy with your assigned insurer and then apply for a new policy with the insurer of your choice. Your application with the new insurer may be subject to medical assessment or underwriting. You will receive a refund on your premiums only if you terminate or cancel your policy within the first 60 days of your first policy year.
How to Cancel ElderShield
The opt-out form is available in your welcome package. You will need to complete this form and mail it to your insurer. If you do not have the form, you can contact your appointed insurer and request for one.