Budget Direct Insurance, began their services in Singapore in the early part of 2017 and offer low premiums on their car insurance. What makes Budget Direct unique is the fact that it gives you complete control over different facets of the policy that you wish to be included in the plan.
As a result of this flexibility in designing your plan, you can get a low premium price, particularly if you have more than a couple of years of driving experience under your belt.
Types of car insurance provided by Budget Direct
Comprehensive car insurance
As part of the comprehensive coverage, you will be covered for injury/death or damage to a third party and their belongings. The coverage also includes car damage due to natural disasters such as floods, storms, fire and more. The company will also pay for criminal charges and legal costs for an amount not more than S$3,000. In case your car has to be hauled after a mishap, the company will pay for the charges amounting to not more than S$200 within Singapore and S$500 overseas.
If you choose to purchase Third Party only cover, the company will only pay for damage caused by the car to a third party’s property for up to S$5 million. You will not be paid for damages to your car. The company will also pay for criminal charges and legal costs for an amount not more than S$3,000. If you have purchased Third Party Fire and Theft, you will be covered if your car is stolen or catches fire. Charges for towing is also included with Third Party Fire and Theft.
Features and Benefits of Budget Direct Car Insurance Plan
With Budget Direct car insurance, you will get the following features and benefits:
- You have the option of adding more cover like 24-hour roadside assistance and transport allowance to your plan. This makes Budget Direct one of the most customisable insurers.
- You will also get a unique discount on your car insurance premium if you agree to drive your car within Singapore.
- You will be covered even in the rare instance of your car getting damaged by vandals.
- The company will also cover for windows or windscreen damage.
- Budget Direct also offers you the option of saving more if you specify the drivers. Adjust your plan to how your vehicle will be used and pay only for your requirements.
- You can also opt to have your car repaired at various authorised workshops listed on the company’s website.
No claim discounts or NCD offered by Budget Direct
NCD is a discount that you get on your insurance premium. You will get this discount only from the second year and is based on your claims record and how long you have been driving. As you amass years of driving without filing a claim, you will get a concession on the whole premium. Here is how No Claim Discount works with Budget Direct:
|Number of years without filing a claim||NCD|
|5 or more||50%|
What does Budget Direct Car Insurance policy cover?
|Benefit||Comprehensive||Third Party Fire and Theft||Third Party Only|
|Modifications and Accessories||Yes||Yes||No|
|24 Hours Roadside Assistance||Yes||Yes||No|
|Overseas Emergency Allowance||Yes||Yes||No|
|No Claim Discount (NCD) Protector||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Towing after an accident||Up to S$200 in Singapore and up to S$500 overseas||S$500 for overseas tow and S$200 for local tow||No|
|Loss or damage to your car by fire or theft||Market value of the car||Market value of your car||No|
|Legal costs against criminal charges||Up to S$3,000||up to S$3,000||Up to S$3,000|
|Damage to other people’s property||S$5 million||S$5 million||S$5 million|
|Injury or death to someone else||Unlimited cover||Unlimited cover||Unlimited cover|
Like many other insurance providers, Budget Direct car insurance also does not cover every eventuality. Let us take a look at the various possibilities that are not included in the insurance coverage:
- Loss or damage to the car as a result of the car being overloaded, unroadworthy or unsafe.
- Loss or damage to the car as a result of the car being driven by a person who has no valid driving license, has no insurance or was driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Loss or damage to the car as a result of the car being used for commercial purposes or as an emergency service vehicle or to transport explosives or inflammable items.
- When the subject of the claim is false or exaggerated or based on inadequate, fake or stolen documentation.
Budget Direct Promotions for Car Insurance
Budget Direct insurance offers numerous promotional offers to its customers. Let us take a look at some of these promotions:
- If your current car insurance policy is cheaper than the one being offered by Budget Direct for the same level of cover, you will get S$100 even if you do not purchase an insurance policy until 31 March 2018.
- If you refer a friend of yours and convince him/her to purchase Budget Direct car insurance policy, you will get shopping vouchers worth S$20 while your friend will get a discount of 5% on that policy.
How to make a claim
When you want to make a claim, you have four different options to do so:
- You can call Budget Direct at +65 6540 2199 if you are calling from outside Singapore or at 6221 2199 within Singapore.
- You can fill up the completed claims form online and fax it to +65 6725 0853.
- You can also email the filled up claims form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are not comfortable with the options above, you can just drop by the office at 190 Clemenceau Avenue, #03-01, Singapore Shopping Centre, Singapore 239924.
Budget Direct Car insurance renewal
If you have a Budget Direct car insurance policy and it is about to expire, a renewal form will be sent to you 30 days prior to the expiry of your current policy. The renewal form will mention the excess and premium for the new policy, and will also include notice of any alterations to the terms of the new policy.
How to Cancel Budget Direct Car insurance
If you wish to cancel your Budget Direct car insurance policy, you can do so anytime after the cooling-off period. You will have to give the company a notice period of at least seven days. Once your policy is cancelled, you will get a refund of the prorated premium minus the cancellation fee of S$50.00 in case no claims have been made.
Budget Direct Car insurance hotline
You can call Budget Direct at +65 6540 2199 if you are calling from another country or at 6221 2111 within Singapore. The lines are open from Mondays to Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How many driver plans are available with Budget Direct?
A. Budget Direct provides two driver plans:
- Authorised Driver Plan
As per this plan together with the policyholder, the person who frequently uses your car and
anyone else who you have allowed to drive your car will be covered.
- Named Driver Plan
According to this plan, coverage is provided only to the person who uses the car often and those who you include in your policy as Named Drivers.
Q. Are the repairs done to my car at authorised workshops guaranteed?
A. All repairs done at Authorised Workshops listed on Budget Direct website are guaranteed against flaws of repairs for a period of 12 months.
Q. Will my coverage be affected if I modify my car?
A. If you have a Third Party Fire and Theft or Comprehensive coverage, you can opt to have modifications and accessories covered under optional covers. The company will either replace or repair stolen or damaged car parts that are LTA compliant and accepted by Budget Direct.
Q. Will I get a discount if my car is an Off-Peak car?
A. If your car is an Off-Peak car, you will get discounts on your car insurance with Budget Direct.
Q. What are the different documents that I will receive after I purchase my car insurance policy with Budget Direct?
A. Once you purchase a car insurance, you will get the following documents:
- Product Disclosure Document
- Tax Invoice
- Policy Schedule
- Certificate of Insurance
- Policy Summary
All these documents will be sent to you by post, however, if you choose to go paperless, you will get a discount of 20% on the premium.
Q. What should I do in case of "Hit and Run" or “Park and Found"?
A. If you are involved in a "Hit and Run" or" Park and Found", you or your driver must file a police report before informing any of Budget Direct’s authorised reporting centres/workshops. You can also opt to claim under your own policy.
Q. What should I do if I get a Letter of Demand or a Writ of Summons from a third party?
A. If you get a Writ of Summons or Letter of Demand from a third party involving an accident, you should simply handover the documents to Budget Direct immediately. You must not get involved in any negotiation, offer payment or admit liability to the third party.
Q. What is the process of making a claim against a vehicle registered in a foreign country?
A. If you want to make a claim against a vehicle registered in a foreign country you must first file a police complaint at a police station closest to the accident spot. If you are not responsible for the accident, you can opt to either file a claim under your policy or you can go to any workshop of your choice and make a third party claim.
Q. Will I get a replacement car when my own car is under repair?
A. You will not get a replacement car. If you have opted for Transport Allowance, you will get S$50 per day, for a maximum of 10 days per accident. This option is not available with Third Party Only policy.
Q. How long do I have before I report an accident and what documents are needed when reporting?
A. The person who is driving the car involved in the accident has to report the accident within 24 hours or the next working day. He/she must also bring a copy of his/her NRIC and driving licence to a Reporting Centre or Authorised Workshop.