It is widely known that Singapore has one of the best public transport systems in the world. From buses to taxis, the Lion City has it all. Moreover, taxi companies like Uber and Grab have made it easier for commuters to make cashless payments. In fact, you can maximise savings by using credit cards that are suited for taxi bookings. The other benefits include easy and fast earning of bonus rewards and special card sign-up promotions that can help save money on your daily cab rides. There are popular credit cards that provide great offers on something as simple as a taxi booking. Here are few recomended cards that will help you earn reward points/cashbacks/discounts on taxi bookings.
List of Cards Recomended Best for Taxi Bookings in Singapore:
If you travel by taxis a lot, you need to know these things about taxi credit cards:
|Card Name||Annual Fee||Earning Rate||Min. Spend Requirement||More Details|
|AmEx SG Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Card||S$337.05||3.2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on Grab and Uber||N.A.||Learn more|
|AmEx SG Airlines KrisFlyer Card||S$176.55||3.1 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on Grab and Uber||N.A.||Learn more|
|AmEx SG Airlines PPS Club Card||S$551.05||3.3 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on Uber and Grab||N.A.||Learn more|
|AmeEx Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Card||S$551.05||3.3 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on Uber and Grab||N.A.||Learn more|
|DBS Woman's Card||S$160.50||S$0 admin fee on SMRT Taxi rides||N.A.||Learn more|
|DBS Woman's World Card||S$192.60||S$0 admin fee on SMRT Taxi rides||N.A.||Learn more|
|Maybank Family & Friends Card||S$180||8% cash rebate on taxi rides||S$1,000 per month||Learn more|
|Maybank Horizon Visa Signature Card||S$180||3.2 air miles or 8 TREATS Points for every S$1 spent on selected taxi rides||S$300 per month||Learn more|
|OCBC 365 Credit Card||S$192.60||3% cashback on Grab and Uber transactions||S$600 per calendar month||Learn more|
|UOB Lady's Card||S$192.60||5 UNI$ for every S$5 spent on taxi transactions||S$3,000 per month on eligible retail transactions||Learn more|
|UOB Lady's Solitaire Card||S$406.60||10 UNI$ for every S$5 spent on taxi transactions||S$3,000 per month on eligible retail transactions||Learn more|
|BOC Sheng Siong Card||S$30||5% cash rebate on Grab, Uber, and taxi rides||S$400 per billing cycle|
Who Should Use?
If you are someone who uses taxi services often, then you should consider using a credit card to pay for your rides. These cards are best suited for people who use public transport and are constantly on the move within the city.
You can use a card with taxi benefits if you are looking to accumulate miles and points faster so that you can fund your next vacation or even future expenses.
How to Make Max out of Taxi Credit Cards in Singapore?
Let’s break down how taxi cards work and how they can help you maximise rewards.
Most cards offer you extra miles, points, rebate or cashback on your spending. Depending on the type of reward your card offers, let’s see how you can make the most of these benefits.
Let’s take the American Express Singapore Airlines PPS Club Credit Card to illustrate how you can earn more miles on your taxi rides.
This card offers you 3.3 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on Grab and Uber. It is important to note, though, that bonus miles are awarded on Grab and Uber spends up to S$200. Moreover, miles are awarded in blocks of S$10. This means that if you have spent S$58 in a month, you will earn miles only for S$50.
|Uber/Grab Spends||Miles Awarded||Miles Earned|
|S$200||3.3 air miles for every S$1||660 KrisFlyer Miles|
To understand how to maximise savings by using a card that offers you cashback and cash rebate, let’s use the OCBC 365 Credit Card and the Maybank Family & Friends Card, respectively.
OCBC’s card offers you 3% cashback when you meet the minimum spend.
|Grab/Uber Spends||Cashback||Cashback Earned|
With the Maybank Family & Friends Card, you get a cash rebate of 8%.
|Min. Monthly Spend||Rebate||Rebate Earned|
You can accelerate your reward point earnings as well. Let’s use the UOB Lady’s Card to see how this can be achieved.
|Min. Monthly Spend||Reward Points||Points Earned|
|S$3,000||5 UNI$ for every S$5||3,000|
So, as a frequent taxi user, you stand to gain when you use these taxi credit cards.
Things to Consider Before Getting a Card for Taxi Bookings
- Check which taxi providers are partnered with your card. If you use Grab rides more often than other taxi services, then you won’t receive rewards for taxi rides if your card is not partnered with them.
- See if there is any minimum spend criteria that you need to meet. Also, check if this minimum spending needs to be made on a certain category. For instance, certain cards need you to meet a minimum spend on taxi transactions, while others will need you to meet minimum monthly spends on all retail transactions.
- Determine how much you spend on taxi rides every month. If it is lower than the minimum spend criteria that you need to meet to earn accelerated rewards, then you should consider getting a card that doesn’t have such requirements.
How to Choose the Right Card for Taxi Bookings?
- Do your research to find the right card since they will offer you different benefits. If you are also someone who travels overseas often, then getting a card that offers you miles for your taxi rides is a good option.
- Take advantage of sign-up offers such as cashback on your first few rides with Uber/Grab.
- If you don’t travel by Grab or Uber but use other taxi services such as Comfortdelgro, TransCab or SMRT, look for cards that offer you rewards for these taxi services in particular.
- When you use your card to pay for SMRT rides, you end up paying an admin fee which is 10% of the ride amount. To avoid this additional expense, look for cards where this fee is waived. For instance, the DBS Woman’s Card and the DBS Woman’s World Card both provide you with a 0% admin fee on your SMRT rides.