Are you someone who loves watching movies over the weekend? If yes, take your movie watching experience to another level by using the right credit card to buy your movie tickets. As a movie lover, choose a credit card that rewards you in the form of discounts, cashback, complimentary beverages, free tickets, etc. Take a look at few of the best movie credit cards in Singapore below.
The following credit cards work well for moviegoers in Singapore:
|Card Name||Best for|
|HSBC’s Revolution Credit Card||Rewards on movie tickets online bookings|
|OCBC Frank Credit Card||Cash rebates on online movie ticket purchases|
|DBS Altitude Card||Discounts on movie tickets at Golden Village|
|Maybank Platinum Visa Card||Discounted rates at Shaw Theatres|
|OCBC Cashflo Credit Card||Discounted movie tickets at Cathay Cineplexes|
|UOB YOLO Card||Rebates on movie ticket booking (online)|
|SAFRA DBS Card||Rebates on movie tickets at Shaw Theatres|
|Citibank SMRT Card||Savings on movie tickets at Filmgarde, Shaw Theatres, Cathay Cineplexes, and Golden Village|
Pay Less, Earn More
The credit cards designed for movie spends offer you cash rebate, discounts, and offers when you purchase your movie tickets at participating movie theatres across Singapore. Take a look at the table below to view a list of a few cards that can be used to save on your movie expenses.
|Card Name||Annual Fee||Earning Rate||Minimum Spend Requirement (Per month)|
|HSBC’s Revolution Credit Card||S$160.50 p.a. Annual fee waiver for the first 2 years||Earn 5x Rewards points||No minimum spend criterion is applicable|
|OCBC Frank Credit Card||S$80 p.a. (Complimentary for the initial 2 years)||6% cash rebate.||You’ll need to spend at least S$400 (offline) using your FRANK Credit Card Your cash rebate will have a monthly cap of S$60|
|Maybank Platinum Visa Card||Free for life||S$3 discount on your movie tickets at Shaw Theatre, subject to the first 600 redemptions every month||Does not apply to this promotion|
|OCBC Cashflo Credit Card||S$160.50 p.a. (Annual fee waiver for the first 2 years )||Discounts on movies tickets at Cathay Cineplexes||Does not apply to this promotion|
|UOB YOLO Card||S$192.60 (Initial 1 year annual fee will be waived)||Weekday entertainment spends – 3% rebate Weekend entertainment spends – 8% rebate||Spend a minimum of S$600 per a qualifying month|
|SAFRA DBS Card||Annual fee is not applicable if you’re a SAFRA member||Cash rebate of 3% on Mastercard local contactless transactions, 3% on your online transactions||Spend at least S$500 per a calendar month Cash rebate will be capped at SAFRA$50 (maximum) per calendar month|
|Citibank SMRT Card||S$192.60 (including GST charges). First 2 years annual fee will be waived||Up to 5% savings on movies||The earn rate will go down by 0.3% if you fail to spend at least S$300 in a month.|
Best for Discounts on Movies
HSBC’s Gold Class Movie Card - Buy 4 Gold Class Movie Tickets at S$138
This is a complimentary movie card (not a credit card) which allows you to save on your Gold Class movie tickets at any Golden Village Multiplex in Singapore.Card Highlights:
- Buy 4 Gold Class movie tickets at S$138 and get a chance to save up to S$18.
- This offer is applicable every day besides Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, New Year's Day, New Year Eve, 1st and 2nd day of Lunar New Year, and Lunar New Year Eve.
- On showing your HSBC’s Gold Class Card during making your payment, you’ll get 10% off on food and beverages at Gold Class Cinemas.
- This card can be purchased only with a valid HSBC Credit or Debit Card that has been issued in Singapore.
- This card comes with a validity of 1 year starting from the date it was purchased for use at any of the Golden Village Gold Class Cinemas in Singapore
- Valid until 30 June 2019.
HSBC’s Movie Card - Save up to S$35 on Your Movie Tickets
With this complimentary movie card, you can save up to S$35 on your movie tickets at any of the Golden Village cinema box office. This is not a credit card.Card Highlights:
- With a Weekdays Movie Card, you can buy 10 weekday tickets for S$70 and save up to S$25.
- Weekday offer is applicable between Monday and Thursday, apart from the eve of and during public holidays
- With an All-Days Movie Card, you can buy 10 any day tickets for S$95 and save up to S$35.
- The all-day offer is applicable every day apart from New Year's Day, New Year Eve, Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, Lunar New Year Eve, and 1st and 2nd day of Lunar New Year.
- Get S$1 discount “Combo of the Week” at the Candy Bar by showing your HSBC’s Movie Card.
- Qualify for a special "HSBC's Movie Card Online Combo". Applicable for online transactions only that have been made using an HSBC Credit or Debit Card.
- Valid until 30 June 2019.
With this card, you’ll enjoy discounted movie ticket prices at Cathay Cineplexes.Card Highlights:
- S$8.50 from Monday to Thursday (including previews).
- S$11.00 from Friday to Sunday, on public holidays, and on the eve of public holidays.
- S$1 discount on food and beverages when you buy any of the combo sets.
- The offer is restricted to 10 movie tickets per transaction per card member.
- The promotional offer is valid till 31 December 2018 and is valid only at the self-ticketing kiosks.
Enjoy discounted rates on your movie tickets at Golden Village.Card Highlights:
- You’ll get S$1.00 off on your non-3D movie ticket and S$1.50 off on your 3D movie ticket (Not applicable on the eve of public holidays and on public holidays).
- S$3.00 off on Gold Class Ticket (Applicable from Monday to Wednesday only)
- You’ll get a DBS Combo for S$9.90 (2x 22oz regular coke plus 1x 85oz large popcorn) when you buy a pair of weekend or weekday non-3D or 3D movie tickets using your DBS or POSB Credit Card. You can buy your tickets at any box office counter or online.
- The validity of this promotion ends on 31 December 2018.
- The promotion is applicable for all DBS and POSB Credit Cards issued in Singapore.
Best for Rebates on Movies
This card allows you to earn 6% rebate on your online purchases.Card Highlights: When you purchase your movie tickets online using your OCBC FRANK Credit Card, you’ll earn a rebate of 6%. Rebates are capped at S$60 per month. Minimum spend required is S$400 every month on offline transactions.
This card offers you discounted movie ticket rates at Shaw Theatres.Card Highlights:
- Enjoy 3% discount on your movie tickets at Shaw Theatres.
- Restricted to initial 600 redemptions in a month and discounted movie rates are valid for a maximum of 4 tickets per card.
- The validity of the promotion expires on 31 December 2018.
- The offer is applicable for 2D movies between Monday and Sunday at all Shaw Theatres (excluding Century).
- To qualify for this offer you need to charge at least 2 movie tickets to your Maybank Platinum Visa Card.
Get 3% rebate on purchasing Shaw Theatre’s movie tickets online.Card Highlights:
- When you buy movie tickets via an online transaction at Shaw Theatres, you’ll earn 3% rebate.
- To earn this rebate you need to spend at least S$500 in a calendar month.
- Your cash rebate will be rewarded to you in the form of SAFRA$. There is a maximum cap of 50 SAFRA$ per calendar month and per card account.
This card allows you to earn rebates on online movie ticket purchases.Card Highlights:
- You’ll earn up to 12% rebate based on your weekday/weekend entertainment spends.
- To earn this rebate you need to spend at least S$600 in a qualifying period.
Best for Savings on Movies
This card allows you to save up to 5% on your movie ticket expenses.Card Highlights: When you purchase your movie tickets at Cathay Cineplexes, Golden Village, Shaw Theatres, or Filmgarde using your Citibank SMRT Card, you can save up to 5%.
Best for Rewards on Movies
This card earns you 5X Rewards Points when you buy your movie tickets online.Card Highlights:
- When you purchase your movie tickets through an online portal, you’ll get 5X Rewards points.
- A minimum spend criterion is not applicable.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Credit Cards for Your Movie-Related Expenses
- Use your card for transactions that you earn you the highest rebates.
- Choose to use cards that don’t come with a minimum spend criterion.
- Ensure that the rebate you’ve earned is credited to your card account without any default.
- Most cards offer not just rebates but also offers other discounts and privileges. Do not miss out on using them.
It Pays to Book Movies Through Your Card, Literally
When you use a credit card to pay for your movie ticket, you’ll get various benefits such as:
- Cash rebate
- Discounted ticket rates
- Complimentary privileges
Things to Consider Before Getting a Credit Card for Movies in Singapore
- Get a rough estimate on how much you spend on movies on a monthly basis.
- Check for the eligibility criteria that is applicable for the card you intend to apply for.
- Check for the fees and charges applicable on the card you want to buy.
- Check to see if there is any minimum spend criterion that is applicable to qualify you for movie-related benefits.
- Go through the terms and conditions of your preferred card in detail.
- Check for factors like your credit limit, interest rate, minimum repayment amount, and late payment charges.
So How Do You Choose the Right Card?
- You need to finalise on a card based on your specific entertainment needs.
- Shortlist all the credit cards which reward you on your entertainment (movie) related expenses.
- Identify the cineplexes or movie theatres you visit on a regular basis.
- Check if there are any specific credit cards that offer you special discounts at your preferred movie theatres.
- Mostly credit card promotions are updated on a frequent basis, hence before applying for a card make sure the promotional offers you are intending to use after purchasing the card have a long validity period.
- Finalise on a credit card that rewards you for different kinds of transactions you make (apart from entertainment spends).
Upcoming Movies in Singapore
Releasing on 4 July 2018
- Ant-Man and the Wasp
Releasing on 6 July 2018
- The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter
Releasing on 12 July 2018
- Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
- Swimming with Men
Releasing on 5 July 2018
- Escape Plan 2: Hades
Releasing on 13 July 2018
- How It Ends
Releasing on 19 July 2018
- Sicario: Day of the Soldado
Releasing on 26 July 2018
- Mission: Impossible - Fallout
Top Movie Theatres in Singapore
- It is one of the oldest cinema chains in Singapore. Currently, it has 7 locations, a few of them have IMAX facilities.
- Striking features of this cinema operator include comfortable seats, a spacious lounge facing the beautiful shopping streets of Orchard, ample legroom, sound systems with the latest technology, and crystal clear visuals and spectacular sounds.
- The various locations of Shaw Theatres include:
- Shaw Theatres Lido
- Shaw Theatres Nex (Serangoon Central)
- Shaw Theatres JCube
- Shaw Theatres Balestier
- Shaw Theatres Waterway Point (Punggol Central)
- Shaw Theatres Seletar (The Seletar Mall)
- Shaw Theatres Lot One (Lot 1 Shoppers’ Mall)
- Cathay offers special rates to all primary/secondary/tertiary students/senior citizens in Singapore (terms and conditions are applicable).
- Cathay offers Platinum Movie Suites at the following 3 venues:
- The Cathay Cineplex
- Cathay Cineplex Jem
- Cathay Cineplex Cineleisure Orchard
- Cathay Cineplex Parkway Parade provides assistive listening devices for people with hearing disabilities or who are visually-impaired.
- In addition to the venues mentioned earlier, the other Cathay venues Singapore are as follows:
- Cathay Cineplex Causeway Point
- Cathay Cineplex Downtown East
- Cathay Cineplex AMK Hub
- Cathay Cineplex West Mall
- It is one of the leading cinema operator in Singapore with several locations island wide.
- Golden Village is the first in Singapore to showcase all-laser cinema.
- Golden Village has 13 multiplexes with around 106 screens.
- Multiple venues of Golden Village are as follows:
- Plaza Singapura
- Bishan Junction 8
- Jurong Point
- Tampines Mall
- Tiong Bahru Plaza
- Great World City
- 112 Katong
- City Square, Suntec City
- Paya Lebar
Cathay Cineleisure Orchard:
- Cathay offers show-times on weekdays that operate until midnight.
- On weekends, there are show times that go up to 2:00 a.m.
- Cathay Cineleisure Orchard has around 14 screens with 2005 seats approximately.
- Cathay offers a cinema hall exclusively for couples.
Changi Airport Cinema:
- There are movie theatres in terminals 2 and 3 of the Changi Airport.
- You’ll get to enjoy movies of various genres in both the terminals.
- Movie screenings are complimentary and you’ll have access to these entertainment hubs 24/7.
- An independent cinema chain in Singapore that was established in 2007.
- Present in 3 locations – Century Square, Bugis Plus, and Kallang Leisure Park.
- In addition to offering Asian and Hollywood blockbuster films, this Cineplex also works along with similar partners to showcase interesting films from several other genres.
- First movie theatre to implement several things like:
- Introduced a service called SMS-a-movie.
- Offered mobile ticketing service.
- WE Cinemas has been the principal partner for the National Day Parade for multiple years.
- Located at 321 Clementi Avenue 3, Singapore 129905.
- Wheelchair facility is available in every hall of WE Cinemas.
- Couple seating option is available too.