If you are searching for a premium credit card or a charge card that can give you an array of perks to meet your lifestyle needs, American Express premium cards may be the right choice for you. You can use these cards to meet your travel, shopping, dining, and lifestyle needs. Whether you are a frequent traveller or an extensive shopper, American Express has all kinds of cards for you.
American Express premium cards are classified into charge and credit cards. While you have the liberty of repaying your borrowed credit in easy monthly options with a credit card, a charge card requires you to pay and settle the amount in full once the billing statement is issued. A charge card is usually issued to premium customers or to a few selected members.
The premium cards offered by American Express are as follows:
Unlike a credit card, a charge card requires you to settle your card balance in full, you can keep a track of your finances and avoid the interest charges.
Features of American Express Premium Cards
The American Express Platinum Charge Card is an invitation-only credit card. You will need to visit the website or call the bank to express your interest. However, if you are interested in the American Express Platinum Reserve Card, you can directly apply for the card online. What follows below is a list of benefits these premium cards offer to privileged customers:
- As a premium card member, you will get privileges to enjoy Platinum Travel and Lifestyle Concierge.
- You can use your card to dine at some of the finest restaurants in town. You are entitled to get discounts of up to 50% at 60 restaurants throughout the year.
- You can use your Platinum card to shop at some of the finest establishments in Singapore. You can relish your favourite food through the platinum dining services. You are entitled to get 50% savings on your food bills at selected popular restaurants.
- By opting for this card, you are entitled to a complimentary night stay at participating Fraser’s properties throughout the world.
- You can get access to members-only Tower clubs wherein access is only given to privileged customers.
- This card also provides 24-hour concierge services, purchase protection against accidental damage to your goods, complimentary travel accident and inconvenience coverage.
Airport lounge access: As a privileged card member, you can get access to over 800 Delta Sky Club Lounges and American Express that are available in over 100 countries. You are also entitled to get complimentary passes worth US$399. This is valid for principal and supplementary Cardmembers.
Platinum Travel Concierge: You can rely on the concierge team to assist you round the clock. With the Platinum Card membership, you will get enhanced access to worldwide resources to plan your travel and schedule it accordingly. The concierge team can help you with information relating to your travel and accommodation.
Air privileges programme: You can book your flight tickets through Platinum Travel Concierge and get privileged fares on worldwide air travel. This is applicable if you are flying business class or first class.
Platinum Golf: By becoming a Platinum Card member, you are eligible to play golf at popular golf courses in Singapore and abroad. By choosing this card, you will be part of the elite preferred golf programme. With access to over 85 golf resorts, you can enjoy a golf game at the K-Club in Ireland or The Gleneagles Hotel (in Scotland). Supplementary card holders are eligible to enjoy the golfing privileges too.
By invitation-only events: As a privileged Platinum Card holder, you will have access to special privileges and perks over others. Your membership can give you access to fashion, gourmet experiences, cultural events, and shopping. The invitation-only membership privileges are valid globally.
Car hire: By participating into the Hertz Gold plus Rewards, you can travel to your favourite destinations in your preferred car, or get a complimentary car upgrade altogether (if it is available at the time of your booking). You can save on your car rental spends with these services. You are eligible to get free Avis Preferred Membership too.
Fees and charges
|Annual fee for the American Express Platinum Reserve Card
• Principal card – S$535 (inclusive of GST).
• Supplementary card fee is fully waived for the first 2 supplementary cards (inclusive of GST).
• For subsequent cards, a charge of S$160.50 is applicable.
|Annual fee for the American Express Platinum Charge Card
|Late payment fee
||S$60 or 3% of the outstanding balance plus any overdue payments
|Cash advance fee
||5% handling fee is applicable for each withdrawal amount
|Over limit fee
||3% of the credit limit plus the additional amount over the credit limit
|Foreign currency transaction fee
||2.5% of the transacted amount
To apply for an American Express premium card, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- You should be at least 21 years of age. If you are supplementary card member, you will need to be over 18 years of age.
- For the American Express Platinum Reserve Card, you will need to furnish documents related to your income. You will need to have an annual income of S$150,000 p.a.
- The American Express Platinum Charge Card is an invitation-only card. If you would like to know whether you qualify for this card, you will need to call the bank to express your interest or to obtain any other card-related information.
Based on your card preferences, every card will have different requirements. You will need to meet these requirements in order to qualify for the card. However, for most of the cards, you will need to furnish the following documents:
- A clear copy of your NRIC
- Supporting documents related to your income – payslips, CPF contribution statements and Tax Bill from the IRAS
How to apply
If you are eligible for the American Express premium cards, you can visit the website and submit an online application. For the American Express Platinum Charge Card, you can only express interest by calling the bank. Please note that this card is only available to select or privileged individuals. The decision to approve your card application is up to the bank.
How to cancel
You will need to contact the bank and provide them with a written notice or communication stating your decision to close the card membership. Once this is done, you may destroy the credit card and supplementary card into two or more pieces. This will ensure that the card is not misused.