For a frequent traveller, a travel insurance is a must-have protection. It is necessary to ensure that your travel insurance covers all necessary medical expenses for loss, injury, illness, theft of valuables, damage to baggage, delays and cancellations to travel plans. Accidents and other unforeseen emergencies can happen to anyone, and medical expenses overseas can heavily weigh on your finances.
About AIG Travel Insurance
AIG (American International Group) Asia Pacific Insurance Pte. Ltd. is one of the leading General Insurance companies that has had a presence in Singapore since 1953. It offers insurance for Vehicles, Travel, Home, Small Business, Personal Accident, Employer Liability, Professional Liability, Marine Cargo, and so on. It has a global presence and it serves commercial, institutional, and individual customers.
The travel Insurance plan offered by AIG in Singapore is called “Travel Guard”. This policy offers comprehensive coverage for travellers as well as around the clock travel assistance. Unique features of this plan include: no age restriction in taking this insurance, unlimited emergency medical evacuation and repatriation cover, trip cancellation benefits, etc. Travel Guard has assistance centers in Asia, Europe and the Americas.
Features of AIG Travel Insurance
- Around the clock emergency assistance.
- No age limit for application eligibility.
- Coverage for leisure amateur sports.
- Covers casualties arising out of acts of terrorism.
- Protection in the event of ‘Major Travel Events’, including natural disasters, epidemic, civil unrest, etc.
- Reimburses cost of baggage delays as well as travel delays while the insured is abroad or in Singapore.
- Covers loss of luggage.
- In the event of loss of entertainment tickets / frequent flyer points, the same will be reimbursed to the insured individual.
AIG Travel Insurance Plans in Singapore
Family per Trip Plan
Family per trip plan is a family travel insurance plan that provides protection for the entire family, in which insured individuals may or may not be legally related to each other, and the children of the family only needs to be related to at least one of the two individuals. This plan comprises of:
- A maximum of 2 adults who may or may not be related and are named in the Policy Schedule as “Insured”.
- No limit on no. of children to be included in the plan, as long as they are unemployed and legally related to at least one of the 2 insured adults. The family must travel at the same time and return together.
Family Annual Multi-Trip Plan
Family annual multi-trip plan is a family travel insurance plan that provides protection for the entire family, in which the insured individuals have to be married to each other and their financially dependent children are also included. Thus, in this plan the insured individuals comprise of:
- Not more than 2 adults who are legally married to each other, are named in the Policy Schedule as “Insured”.
- The offspring of the couple, whether natural or legally adopted, who are financially dependent on the Insured, will be included in the plan. However, at least one of the parents have to accompany the children on the entire trip.
AIG Medical and Travel Benefits
- Medical expenses incurred overseas that had risen from pregnancy-related illnesses, will be reimbursed
- Medical Expenses up to S$2,000,000 that is incurred due to Sickness or Injury while overseas, will be reimbursed under the Premier Plan.
- For Injury sustained overseas and follow up treatments in Singapore, up to S$50,000 is reimbursed under the Premier Plan.
- Expenses for treatment by a Physician for illness or injury that was sustained overseas, is reimbursed.
- Unlimited emergency medical evacuation cover is provided under the Premier & Superior Plan.
- Unlimited repatriation and direct repatriation is provided for all plan types.
- Policy is automatically extended up to 30 days if the Insured is hospitalized or quarantined while abroad on a trip at the time of expiry of the policy.
- Telephone call charges while calling Travel Guard services for assistance during a medical emergency/medical claim/ to report lost or stolen credit card, etc., will be reimbursed.
AIG Personal Accident Benefits
In the event of your accidental death while you are abroad, your children’s needs are protected with Child Education Grant. This is applicable only for Premier and Superior Plan.
In case of accidental death & permanent disablement, while travelling, you get a coverage of up to S$500,000 and under the Premier plan, accidental death whilst travelling on Common Carrier overseas the protection offered is up to S$1,000,000.
AIG Travel Inconvenience Benefits
- Trip Cancellation benefits can be availed 60 days prior to departure date or at policy issue date.
- The administrative cost will be reimbursed when there is a change of traveller (Travel Cancellation) because of unexpected death of relative or travel companion.
- In case of a Major Travel Event which prevents you from continuing with your scheduled trip, a Trip Curtailment cover is provided for transport and accommodation expenses required to return directly to Singapore.
- Loss arising from unauthorized charges being made on your Credit Card will be reimbursed.
- Coverage is provided for loss or damage of your personal baggage.
- If you are robbed while travelling, any loss of jewellery is reimbursed.
- Also, if you lose your travel documents while overseas, due to robbery, burglary, theft or natural disasters, etc., the replacement cost of these documents will be reimbursed.
- Provides Personal Liability coverage while the insured is overseas.
AIG Supplementary Benefits
- Green fees paid in advance is reimbursed if you cannot use the golf course due to an injury or illness during a trip.
- Rental vehicle excess charges are taken care of if there has been loss or damage to the rental vehicle due to an accident.
- Other supplementary privileges offered such as Golf Advantage and Pet Care.
- Acts of Terrorism are also covered.
There are some exclusions that are applicable on the travel insurance policies for which the Insured would not receive any coverage. This includes any loss, damage, injury or legal liability due to:
- Not taking an active effort in safeguarding property and self
- Participating in dangerous and risky sporting activities;
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Nervous/ Mental disorders
- Medical Conditions that were pre-existing
- Attempted suicide or self-inflicted injuries
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Travelling against the advice of a Doctor, etc.
Compare AIG Travel Insurance With Other Insurance Companies Offering Travel Insurance in Singapore
- AXA Travel Insurance
- AVIVA Travel Insurance
- Liberty Travel Insurance
- ETIQA Travel Insurance
- MSIG Travel Insurance
- NTUC Travel Insurance
- HSBC Travel Insurance
- Tenet Travel Insurance
- QBE Standard Plus Travel Insurance
- ACE Supreme Travel Insurance
- Tokio Marine Travel Insurance
- AIA Travel Insurance
Frequently Asked Questions – AIG Travel Insurance
- What is the maximum period of coverage for an overseas trip?
For Per Trip Policy, the maximum period of coverage is 182 days and for Annual Multi-Trip Policy, the maximum period of coverage is 90 days.
- When will my policy be automatically extended?
A policy will be automatically extended for a maximum period of 72 hours after expiry, without the customer having to pay any additional premium, if there is a natural disaster, civil unrest, airspace closure, etc. and you are unable to notify the Travel Guard customer care in order to extend the policy.
- Which are the countries that are excluded from being covered under the policy?
Travel Guard policy does not cover travel to or through countries such as Democratic Republic of Congo, Afghanistan, Cuba, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Liberia or Syria.
- Is there a limit to the number of trips that can be made with coverage from the annual policy?
The annual plan covers all travel taken during a 12 month period. There's no limit to the number of trips taken, as long as the duration of each trip is not more than 90 successive days.
- What is the limit to the number of days I can travel with a single trip policy?
The single trip policy gives coverage for trips that last for not more than 182 successive days.